Aka Old City Cemetery
aka Wigwam Hollow Cemetery
OLD MACOMB CEMETERY
Also called "Old McDonough Cemetery" and more recently known as the "Wigwam Hollow Cemetery," this cemetery is located near the SE. corner of the NE quarter of Sec. 35 in Emmet Twp. It was formally established in 1836 when Robert Garrett sold two acres to McDonough County Commissioners "for the use of the people of McDonough County as a public burial ground" (Deeds: C/68). The site was a burial ground already in 1830, when a child of Peter Hale was interred there, on what, at that time was Hall's or Hale's property. This is the final resting place for veterans of the Black Hawk War, Mexican War, and Civil War. Some headstones are the work of the pioneer stone carver, John Long, and are the oldest historic artifacts in the county (Hallwas, 1984, p.23-26). The burials in the cemetery became less frequent after Macomb's Oakwood Cemetery was established in 1857. In 1981 remains of graves from the Gin Ridge Cemetery in Bethel Twp. were transferred to this cemetery (Old Cemetery, 2).
Source: "Place Names of McDonough County, Past and Present"
By Gordana Rezab, ©2008 by Western Illinois State University
CAMP, [child of L. W] -- died c. Aug. 24 1888 [source: Macomb Journal]
CAMPBELL, Samuel, [Soldier - regiment unknown]
CHASE, William P., 98th Illinois, [CW Soldier - died in service]
HALES, ---, [child of Peter] - d. 1830
JONES, Mrs. George - d. 1890
PENNIWIT, Levi, Iowa Volunteers, [CW Soldier - died since discharge]
SMITHERS, Thomas, War of 1812.
STOKES, W. S., Company B, 10th Missouri, [CW Soldier - killed at the battle of Corinth, September, 1862]
WALKER, Capt. James D., Company H, 2nd Illinois Cavalry, [CW Soldier - died since discharge]
WHITTEN, James P., Company H, 2nd Artillery. [CW Soldier]
WOODWORTH, [son of A. R.] -- d. 1887 [source: Macomb Journal]