Genealogy Trails History Group Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

McLean County, Illinois
History and Genealogy

   

Biographies


WILLIAM ARNOLD, who is identified with the business interests of Chenoa, is at present carrying on a livery stable, and is administering to the comfort of the public with profit to himself and satisfaction to all concerned. He is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born Nov. 3, 1853. His father, John C. Arnold, was born in Germany, and was married in his native country to Miss Caroline Tredbaugh. They emigrated to America in July, 1853, and locating near Cincinnati, Ohio, lived there four years. In the winter of 1857 they came to Illinois, spent one year at Bloomington, then removed upon a farm two miles south of the city, where they remained six years. Subsequently they took up their abode two miles north of Normal, where they lived for four years and thence removed to a farm in Yates Township, where the father of our subject engaged in agriculture until his death, which took place July 13, 1881. The mother died Oct. 23, 1876. The household circle included nine children, six of whom lived until after the death of the parents; John F. subsequently died in Kansas when in his twenty-seventh year; Mary B. died in Ohio in 1884; George J. is a resident of Yates Township; Maggie M. became the wife of Anthony Thayers, a farmer of Yates Township; William of our sketch was the next in order of birth; Minnie and Oscar reside on the old homestead in Yates Township.

The subject of this history was but four years of age when he came to this county with his parents. He was educated in the common schools and remained on the farm until his marriage, began farming on his own account. Mr. Arnold was married Sept. 2, 1880, to Miss Mary E., youngest daughter of David Vance, of Chenoa. The young couple settled on a farm about three miles south of the town of Chenoa, where they lived until 1886, then removed to the village of the same name. Mr. A., however, still retains possession of his farm, which constitutes a most admirable auxiliary to his present business. It consists of 160 acres and is located on section 26. It is now operated by a tenant. The livery establishment of Mr. Arnold includes a goodly number of horses and the best description of vehicles.

Our subject and his wife have become the parents of one child, a son, Harry W. Mr. A. is a Republican in politics, and in December, 1886, was appointed Deputy Sheriff under V. E. Howell.

[SOURCE: Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887). Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.]


BACK -- HOME

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor