McLean County, Illinois
History and Genealogy

Genealogy Trails History Group Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led
line
Biographies
line


Beich Family
It was a time when chocolate was made only in the winter and hard candy in the summer because candy manufacturers did not have the luxury of air-conditioned plants.
It was 1894 and proximity to a ready supply of milk was crucial for candymaking. That helped Paul F. Beich persuade Milton Hershey of the famous candy clan to move his plant from Chicago to Downstate Bloomington to be closer to dairy farmers.
Eventually Beich went into the candy business himself, and the company that made Whiz bars, Katydid peanut clusters and Golden Crumbles would stay in family hands until his great-grandson, William A. Beich, sold it after heading operations for almost 20 years.
William A. Beich took over the Paul F. Beich Co. even though he never wanted to be a candymaker.
The company got its start using candy as a fundraising tool, said Mr. Beich's son David. Its subsidiary, Katherine A. Beich Co., became one of the nation's oldest and largest fundraising supply businesses, with its products sold by schools, youth groups and sports leagues.
In the early days, the company's slogan, "Beich's -- Say Bike," adorned tins and cardboard boxes of hand-dipped chocolate creams, nut clusters, caramels and taffy that were produced in two Bloomington factories and a third plant that was built on Green Street in Chicago.
In 1939, the company passed to Mr. Beich and his brother Paul M. "My father said what he always wanted to be was an attorney, but his father wanted him in the candy business and back then you did what your father said you were going to do," Mr. Beich's son said.
Mr. Beich received a mechanical engineering degree in 1944 from the University of Illinois and married his childhood sweetheart, Patricia Ann. He then served with the Navy on a weather ship.
Mr. Beich rejoined the company in 1946 and completed a two-year apprenticeship in chocolate manufacturing in Sweden. He became vice president, then chairman and president after his brother's death in 1967. Soon after, the company decided to focus solely on producing candy for fundraising.
In 1984, Mr. Beich sold the company to Nestle USA and retired. He devoted his time to running his 900-acre grain farm in Bloomington and to doting on his wife.
[excerpts from William A. Beich obituary - Transcribed by: Teri Moncelle Colglazier]

Bloomington Kathryn Beich office closing
BLOOMINGTON -- Kathryn Beich, the fundraising arm of a longtime Bloomington candy company, has been sold and its office here will close June 30. The sale will not affect the nearby Bloomington Nestle factory, which was separated from the fundraising division in the late 1990s. Plant Manager Carlos Cortez said the plant, with more than 500 employees, produces only a small amount of fundraising products. Khristina Clevenger, director of human resources at Kathryn Beich, said 37 office workers in Bloomington will be affected. The displaced employees will be offered a "generous severance package" as well as outplacement assistance such as career counseling services.
The roughly 100 people who comprise the sales work force were hired Friday by Great American Opportunities, the Nashville company that purchased Kathryn Beich, Clevenger said.
Company officials said the purchase brings together "two of the largest and most successful teams of professional fundraisers dedicated to school and non-profit fundraising."
Katydids and Golden Crumbles, popular Kathryn Beich brands, will become part of Great American Opportunities product line.
"Great American Opportunities is committed to growing their business and the resulting scale of this purchase will strengthen their service to schools throughout the country," said Michael Holzworth, president of Kathryn Beich Inc.
Terms of the purchase were not released. Holzworth said the consolidation was driven in part by the need to counter several recent business challenges including rising commodity and energy prices.
"This business decision was driven by marketplace conditions and is by no means a reflection on the performance of Kathryn Beich or its exceptionally committed and talented employees," he said.
Paul Beich started the Beich candy company in Bloomington in 1892. Kathryn Beich started selling her family’s confectionery products to Central Illinois organizations for fund-raising purposes in 1952.
The company was sold to Nestle in 1984 and the name changed to Kathryn Beich Inc., a Nestle Co. In 1999, the manufacturing and fund-raising units were split and Nestle dropped the Beich name from the plant but kept it for the fundraising products. Lincolnshire Equity Fund II, a New York-based investment fund purchased the Beich fundraising company in 2002.
Great American Opportunities is one of the nation’s oldest fundraising companies. It has more than 200 fundraising consultants and trainers and serves 48 states. It was founded in 1855 and has helped raise nearly $750 million for schools and non-profit organizations since 1975, according to the company.
[The Pantagraph - 26 Apr 2008 - by Mary Ann Ford - mford@pantagraph.com]



Lawson Welch Downs
LAWSON WELCH DOWNS, DD. S., Douglas, was born in Bloomington, Illinois. Having received the advantages of modern high school training and two years work in De Pauw University, in 1902, he began the study of dentistry at the Indiana Dental College, of Indianapolis, from which he was graduated in 1905. He at once came to Arizona to practice his profession and established an office in Douglas, where he has since practiced Dr. Downs has built up a reputation in excellent work and thereby a large patronage, which is constantly increasing. He is a charter member, and at present Vice President of the Arizona State Dental Society. Fraternally he is very well known, being Past Master of the Mount Moriah Lodge No. 19, F. & A. M., a member of the Bisbee Commandery of Knights Templar and of El Zaribah Temple Mystic Shrine of Phoenix. He is also a member of the B. P. O. E. of Douglas.
["Who's Who In Arizona" Volume 1, 1913 Compiled and Published by Jo Connors]


Davis Ewing
During the first two decades of the 20th century, rising corn prices spurred a rural building boom, as farmers erected larger, sturdier homes, as well as barns, corn cribs, silos, and other outbuildings. At the same time, these prosperous farmers were breaking free from a world dominated by wood and experimenting with new construction materials, such as quality concrete in the form of Portland cement.
Few were better positioned to profit from this new era than Davis Ewing of Bloomington. From about 1907 through the mid-1920s, Ewing’s concrete company played a prominent role in reshaping the landscape of the Corn Belt countryside.
In the spring of 1923, The Pantagraph paid a visit to Ewing’s modern plant, located at East Empire Street and the Illinois Central Railroad (today’s Constitution Trail). "This seems to be the age of concrete," declared The Pantagraph, "and its utilization has replaced wood to as great an extent as the motor vehicle has been substituted for the horse."
Ewing got his start in concrete sidewalks, and even today one can stumble across brass plaques bearing his company’s name inset in old walkways. These medallion-like markers were once a common way for concrete manufacturers to advertise their finished work. He also laid concrete for cellar floors, curbs, driveways, and foundations.
Eventually, Ewing abandoned sidewalks for the more ambitious — and presumably more lucrative — business of manufacturing concrete blocks. The company’s "steam-cured" concrete blocks, as well as its concrete stucco, were used in the construction of residential and commercial buildings throughout the Twin Cities.
Although plenty of city folk needed concrete, Ewing’s primary customers were Corn Belt farmers.
Ewing sold concrete blocks for farmhouses; specially designed, ventilated blocks for corn cribs and silos; and concrete posts for fencing. Not only were Ewing’s patented, wire-reinforced concrete posts sturdy, they were relatively inexpensive, especially if one considered concrete’s durability (compared to wood) and low maintenance requirements (compared to hedge). He sold these under the savvy marketing name of "100 Year Posts," all but guaranteeing a lifespan of a century or more.
Davis Ewing came from an old line Democratic family in a Republican city. His father, James Stevenson Ewing, served as U.S. minister to Belgium under President Grover A. Cleveland.
In October 1907, Ewing married Hazle (sometimes spelled Hazel) Buck, whose father had a 49 percent stake in the Wrigley chewing gum company. Davis and Hazle never had children of their own, but they formally adopted one boy, Ralph, and raised another, Nelson.
Although evidence of the concrete business remains with us today in the form of sidewalks, homes, corn cribs, fence posts and the like, Ewing’s most visible contribution to the central Illinois landscape remains Ewing Manor, his former residence at the northwest corner of Towanda Avenue and Emerson Street.
Unfortunately, Davis and Hazle Ewing divorced in 1931, two years after the completion of "Sunset Hill" (the estate’s original name).
Davis moved and retired to the Chicago area, while Hazle remained at what would become known locally as "Ewing Castle."
Davis Ewing remarried and eventually moved to Mt. Dora, Fla., passing away in 1972. Hazle Buck Ewing became a beloved Twin Cities philanthropist with an interest in promoting the United Nations and conservation. She died in August 1969 at the age of 88.
Today, Sunset Hill is known as the Ewing Cultural Center and is operated by the Illinois State University Foundation. It includes the house, gardens and an outdoor theater.
Ewing’s concrete posts once lined Sunset Hill’s perimeter along Towanda and Emerson. The posts, though, were recently dug up and scattered around the cultural center grounds as part of a $5 million-plus public gardens project. Once paragons of utility, the posts now serve a purely ornamental role. Still, there’s no reason to doubt that they won’t be around another two decades and become — true to Ewing’s guarantee — "100 Year Posts."
["The Pantagraph", Bloomington, Illinois - By Bill Kemp, Archivist/Librarian, McLean County Museum of History]


Wakeman Sutton
Starting life for himself as a poor young man, with no capital except his strong arm, his clear and well trained brain, his strong desire for success and his unwavering determination to win it. Wakeman Sutton, one of the promising mining men of Butte, has reached a position in his industry that is highly creditable to him, and is all the more commendable because it has been won over difficulties and in spite of disasters. Adversity has attended him at times, but has not been able to quell his spirit. Neither has success unduly elated him or made him careless of details in his business. He has literally been tried by both extremes of fortune and has never been seriously disturbed by either.
Mr. Sutton was born in the city of Bloomington, McLean county, Illinois, on August 30, 1857, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary (Barnard) Sutton, the former born in the state of New York in 1824, and the latter in North Carolina in 1827. The mother died in June, 1899, and the father in August , 1900. Both passed away at Santa Barbara, California, where they located in the year 1872. The father was a physician, and was seventy-six years of age when he died. He and his wife were the parents of five children, of whom their son Wakeman was the second in numerical order.
He began his education in the public schools of Bloomington, Illinois, and completed it at a high school and college in Santa Barbara, California, leaving school at the age of eighteen. Becoming at once the master of his own movements and controller of his affairs, he entered the employ of Wells Fargo Express Company and remained in their employ until the fall of 1876, when he became bookkeeper for the wholesale commission house of Rouse & Laws, San Francisco. In 1879 he removed to Arizona, where he was engaged in mining and mercantile pursuits for about eight years, during a portion of the time being the manager of the large mercantile establishment of the Roger Brothers, their stores being situated in Benson, Fairbanks and Bisbee. He came to Montana in 1887, first as a traveling salesman for the firm of Castle Brothers of San Francisco, extensive importers of teas, coffees and spices, and dealers in high class groceries of every kind. He traveled through all parts of Montana for this firm until 1894, then decided to take up his residence permanently in Butte and devote himself wholly to mining operations.
He began mining in 1895 and has been continuously engaged in it ever since, being connected, in the course of his activity in the industry in this part of the country, with the Nora mine, now an Amalgamated Copper Company property, the Silver King mine and the Modoc mine, as well as with other properties.
He is now president of the Silver King Leasing Company, which is working the Silver King mine, the shaft of which is located at 212 West Quartz street, right in the heart of the city, and in the rear of Senator Clark's residence and the new county courthouse. At present, with a depth of only three hundred feet, it yields about fifty tons of ore per day.
On September 6, 1881, Mr. Sutton was married in Tucson, Arizona, to Miss Lillie Sargent, a native of New York state and the daughter of Charles and Jane Sargent. Three children have been born into the Sutton household, and two of them are living. These are : Addie, now the wife of Dr. J. S. McKinley, of Butte; and Dorothy, who is still living with her parents. The one son born in the family, William, died in Butte, in December, 1901. The family residence is at No. 205 West Quartz street, near the Silver King mine.

[Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]

R. C. KAUFMAN, cashier of the Navajo-Apache Bank & Trust Company, was born in Leroy, Illinois, in 1880. He was graduated from the high school of Leroy, and then took the general course in the University of Illinois. He was first employed at telegraphy and railroad work, and has been associated with the Navajo-Apache Bank & Trust Company since 1907. His first position was as bookkeeper, from which he was promoted to that of assistant cashier. Upon the reorganization of the bank in 1909 Mr. Kaufman was chosen its secretary, and one year later was made cashier, a position requiring a thorough knowledge of financial matters and banking regulations, as the Navajo-Apache Bank is one of the largest in the state and the Largest in Northern Arizona. Mr. Kaufman married Miss Mary Lynn Duggar. They have one little daughter, Jacqueline, and make their home in Winslow. ["Who's Who In Arizona" Volume 1 1913 Complied and Published by Jo Connors - Sub by FoFG]

GEORGE W. ORANGE, one of the prosperous farmers of Stutsman county, is a pioneer settler of that region, and his farm of eight hundred and twenty acres has been acquired by careful management and persistent efforts. He resides in Spiritwood, and is one of the active and well-known citizens of his community.
Our subject was born in McLean county, Illinois, in 1847. His father, William Orange, was born in Ohio and was of Scotch-Irish descent. He emigrated to Illinois, when seventeen years of age, where he followed teaming and farming. When Chicago was but a small village he teamed from there to Bloomington. In 1852 he crossed the plains to California, where his family joined him nine years later, but returned again to Illinois in 1870. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a native of Pennsylvania, and was a blacksmith and farmer. The mother of our subject, who bore the name of Catherin Arbogast, was born in Ohio, was of German descent, and was the daughter of Henry Arbogast.
Mr. Orange was married at the age of twenty-five, to Miss Mary Morain, who was born and reared in McLean county, Illinois, Mrs. Orange died April 11, 1881, leaving three children: Albert L., Robert L. and Guy D. Mr. Orange was again married, in 1883, to Miss Eva McMullen. Mrs. Orange was born in Pennsylvania, but was at the time teaching in Illinois. Mr. Orange has one child, Nellie, by his second wife. Mr. Orange went to Dakota in 1882 and purchased a quarter-section of railroad land. He began farming in the spring of 1883, and the following year took up a homestead. He now has over six hundred acres of his land under cultivation. In 1893 he purchased a steam threshing machine, with which he has threshed each fall. The engine of the outfit exploded September 17, 1897, instantly killing the engineer, Robert L. Orange, the fireman, Fred Sisson, and the tankman,, David H. Orange, the only brother of G. W. Orange. During the blizzard of 1888, our subject, wife and son Guy were exposed to the storm twenty hours, and were kept alive only by the greatest efforts. Mr. Orange is a Republican in political faith, and is well known as a public-spirited citizen and energetic man.
[Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]

GENERAL ELLIOTT S. MILLER, the adjutant-general of North Dakota, has attained distinctive preferment in military and political circles, and is one of the representative and prominent citizens of Bismarck. He was born in McClean county, Illinois, November 15, 1846, a son of Sanford C. Miller, a native of Harrisonbury, West Virginia, who removed to Illinois in 1836 and died in that state. The mother died during the infancy of our subject and he never knew her given name.
General Miller was reared and educated in Bloomington, McClean county, Illinois, and when the Civil war broke out he enlisted, in August, 1861, in Company B, Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He took an active part in the West Virginia campaign, and in the engagements in the Shenandoah Valley, including the battle of Winchester, in March, 1862. After the battle of Antietam the regiment was transferred to South Carolina and was in the battle of Morris Island. They veteranized January 1, 1864, and were brought back to General Butler's army on the James river. Later they participated in the battles of Petersburg and Richmond and in the famous charge on Fort Gregg, and were in the engagement at Appomattox just before the surrender of General Lee. The government presented the regiment with their eagle in recognition of the gallant charge on Fort Gregg. General Miller was wounded in the head on Morris Island, in 1864, and before Richmond was wounded in the right arm and also in the shoulder and foot, being confined to the hospital for four months. He was mustered out as a sergeant December 16, 1865.
Returning to Illinois, he made his home there until 1879, and the following year came to Jamestown, North Dakota, where he took up a homestead. He did not engage in farming, but followed contracting and building there for several years. In 1885 he was made quartermaster of the First North Dakota State Troops, and in 1891 was commissioned colonel of the regiment. He was appointed adjutant-general by Governor Roger Allen in 1895, and then removed to Bismarck, where he has since resided. He has met with marked success during his residence in this state and has also gained the respect and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact either in public or private life.
He has been a life-long Republican and has taken an active part in the councils of his party. He is a prominent Mason, a Knight Templar and a member of the Mystic Shrine, and is also an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of which he has been inspector general of the department of North Dakota. He has also been a delegate to the national encampment from North Dakota, and was commander of W. H. Seward Post, of Jamestown, for five years.
[Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]

John T. Price
The career of this sterling and representative citizen of Hamilton County has covered much of the pioneer period in the history of this county, within whose borders he established his home nearly half a century ago and in which he had the distinction of being the second person to serve as County superintendent of schools. His constructive powers touched effectively the civic and industrial development of the county and later he became prominently identified with similar pioneer service in Greeley County. He is now a venerable pioneer citizen who may well take satisfaction in reverting to the part which he has played in the progress of the great commonwealth of Nebraska. He is living virtually retired in the village of Phillips, Hamilton county, and it is pleasing to enter in this publication a succinct record of his career.
Mr. Price was born in Rush County, Indiana, on the 21st of November, 1845, and is a son of Daniel and Sarah (Stewart) Price, both natives of the state of Ohio. The father early settled in Indiana and there he reclaimed and developed a farm in Rush County. In 1876 he became one of the pioneer settlers of Hamilton County, Nebraska, whither his son John T. had preceded him by about four years and he obtained land and took up his abode in a sod house of the type common to that early period, where he instituted the reclamation of his land to cultivation. Here he remained until his death at the venerable age of eighty-five years and his name merits enduring place on the roll of the honored pioneers of the county. His wife died in Indiana, at the age of fifty-two years, their children having been ten in number: Elizabeth, oldest of the children, died in June, 1920; Abbie and Christy likewise are deceased, as is also Jane, who died in 1920; John T., of this review, was the next in order of birth; Frances M. is a missionary in China; A. W., a railroad man, resides at University Place, near Lincoln, Nebraska; and D. E. is a resident of Grand Island, Hall County. He served as County commissioner of Hamilton County and secretary to Congressman Stark. The father was influential in public affairs in Hamilton County. Prior to coming to Nebraska he had been for a number of years a resident of Iowa.
The common schools of his native state afforded to John T. Price his early education, which was supplemented by his attendance at the Illinois Wesleyan University, at Bloomington. He became a successful teacher in the public schools of Illinois and it was in the spring of 1873 that he set forth from that state, with team and prairie schooner, to initiate his pioneer experiences in Nebraska. Nearly four weeks were required to complete the trip to Hamilton County, this state, he having crossed the Mississippi river at Burlington, Iowa, where a ferry transferred his team and wagon, a similar medium having been utilized in crossing the Platte River, at Plattsmouth, Nebraska. Mr. Price adjusted himself readily and effectively to pioneer conditions after his arrival in Hamilton County and that his ability along pedagogic lines did not long wait special recognition is shown in the fact that in the year of his arrival here he was chosen as the second incumbent of the office of county superintendent of schools, in which office he continued one term, or two years. He purchased one hundred and twenty acres of railroad land in the present Phillips precinct and paid for the same at the rate of three dollars an acre, The contract terms providing that the full payment should be completed within a period of ten years. On his land he erected a small frame house of primitive type, the lumber and other material used in its construction having been hauled overland from Grand Island, twenty-six miles distant. His original barns on the place were constructed of straw and he personally took charge of the breaking of his new prairie land and making the same available for cultivation. His experiences, many of which are more pleasing in retrospect then they were in realization, were those of the average pioneer of the locality and period and he recalls that in the early period of his residence here the bones of buffaloes were to be found scattered about the open prairies and that deer and antelopes were frequently seen.
Mr. Price continued his residence on the Hamilton County farm until 1881, when he amplified his pioneer activities by removing with his family to Greeley County, where, by taking up homestead and timber claims he became the owner of a tract of three hundred and twenty acres. He bent his energies to the improving of this property and eventually perfected his title thereto. From the farm he finally removed to the village of Scotia, that County, where he effected the organization of the Greeley County Bank, of which he continued the vice president for the ensuing seven years. For three years thereafter he conducted the Walker House, a leading hotel at St. Paul, Howard county, and he then returned to Hamilton County and resumed his active association with farm enterprise. Here he remained from 1898 until 1907, in which latter year he removed to the city of Lincoln, in order to give to his children the advantages of the excellent educational institutions of the capital city. There he remained until 1914, after which he lived with his children, at different points in the state, until 1920, when he established his home at Phillips, where he remains as an honored citizen of the county in which he gained his initial experience as a pioneer of the state.
The year 1876 recorded the marriage of Mr. Price to Miss Nancy Lutz, who was born in Indiana and who was a resident of Hamilton County, Nebraska, at the time of her marriage. Like her husband Mrs. Price is an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Of their children the eldest, Elizabeth, died August 19, 1912; Mary is the wife of Chris Husted, D. D. S., of Omaha; Georgia is the wife of Clarence Shahan, a commercial salesman of Omaha; and Ruth is the wife of D. M. Davis, a farmer in Wayne County, this state.
Mr. Price is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the republican Party, and while a resident of Greeley county he served in various local offices, including those of justice of the peace and township assessor. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church and he is affiliated with both York and Scottish Rite bodies of the Masonic fraternity, in which he served eight years as master of the lodge of Free & Accepted Masons at Scotia and also at Phillips. Mr. Price has witnessed and taken part in the splendid civic and material development of Nebraska and in reverting to conditions in Hamilton County at the time of his arrival here he states that when he passed through Aurora, the present County seat, he found the town represented by a single house.
[Source: "History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska"; Supervising Editors George L. Burr, O.O. Buck; Compiled by Dale P. Stough By George L. Burr, O. O. Buck, Dale P. Stough (Published 1921) pages 40-42; submitted by Marla Zwakman]

JUDGE WELCOME P. BROWN.
Welcome P. Brown, attorney at law and farmer, was born in Otsego County, New York, April 3, 1812. He received an academic education at Bridgewater, New York, and began the study of law at the age of nineteen years. He came to Illinois in 1833, was admitted to the bar at Jacksonville the same year, and settled in Bloomington where he began to practice law. He served as the second Probate Judge of McLean County, Feb. 17, 1837 to Aug. 17, 1839, succeeding Judge Samuel Durley. He was also the second Postmaster of Bloomington, serving several years. He was married here, to Miss Hannah C. Barney, Oct. 8, 1838. She was born in Pennsylvania, May 3, 1813. They removed to Woodford County, Ill. in 1842, settling at Metamora. Here he was elected County Judge, serving four years. In 1871 he removed to Kansas where he resided five years, serving one year in the Kansas Legislature, then returned to Metamora. He again removed to Pueblo, Colorado, to make his home with a married daughter. He died at Green Mountain, Col. Jan. 13, 1892. His children were Helen M., Josephine, Palmer H.l, Ada, J. K., and Lacey. Four of these, later, resided with their mother, at Kingman, Kans.
(History of Woodford County, Ill. 1878, Page 490, and Letters of J. C. Irving, Metamora, Ill. Jan. 28, 1926, and Palmer H. Brown, Kingman, Kans. Mar. 24, 1926. Printed in the "Central Illinois Historical Annual" - transcribed by Janice Louie)

ZERA PATTERSON.
Zera Patterson, second Probate Justice of the Peace of McLean County, Ill. Aug. 18, 1843 to Dec. - 1849, successor to Wells Colton in that office, was born in Vermont in the year 1791, and died in Bloomington, Ill. Sept. 28, 1850.
Tradition says he was a soldier in the War of 1812, but I have not yet discovered any official record of his service. It may be a coincidence however, that his death occurred on the same day the Act of Congress was passed granting bounty land to the veterans of that conflict.
Justice Patterson's wife, Hannah, was also born in Vermont in 1791, being about the same age as her husband. She died in Jacksonville, Ill., about 1852. They came to this city probably about 1832 or '33. On Nov. 12, 1834, he bought of Dr. Isaac Baker, Lots 70, 71, and 72, in the Original Town of Blomington, Ill. for the sum of seventy dollars. Jan. 12, 1835, he sold the first two to Eliphalet W. Covell. These three lots comprise the south half of the block bounded by Washington, Roosevelt, Front and Madison streets, and include the site of the old Butler hotel.
The papers on file in the Probate Clerk's Office in Bloomington, Ill relating to Justice Patterson's estate, show among other facts, that he died "intestate" that is, without leaving a will, also that he left surviving him, his widow, Hannah, and three children, viz. William Patterson, " of California or Nevada Territory", Mary Jane (Patterson) McAboy-Rundell, who married first, John McAboy, and after his death, William R. Rundell, "now of Aurora, Kane County, Illinois," and Harriet (Patterson) Taylor, who married Hugh Taylor, and had two sons, William Smith Taylor, and Norris Harmon Taylor, "of Kansas", These papers also show that the decedent owned a lot in H. Hl. Painter's Second Addition to Bloomington, Ill. "now occupied by John Breckbeller" also a tract 100 by 120 feet on "North" (now Roosevelt) street, also Lot 3 in Block 7, Evans' Second Addition to this city. The total value of this estate was represented to be about $2000. There were three different administrators, viz. John H. Wickizer, appointed Dec. 3, 1853, later resigned, John M. Scott, appointed May 10, 1863, also resigned, and George W. Lichtenthaler, appointed Feb. 13, 1866. A circular funeral notice shows Justice Patterson's funeral was held from the residence of John Dawson. A finer sermon was preached from the "Universal" church.
[U.S. Census, 1850; Box 11, Case 13. Probate Files, McLean County, Ill. Book B, Deeds, Page 243 and 267, and other sources. Printed in the "Central Illinois Historical Annual" - transcribed by Janice Louie]

PAUL CADUE AND PASCAL PENSIONEAU.
Among various French Canadians who migrated to Central Illinois in the early days, lived with the Indians, married Indian women, and raised families of "half-breed" children, these two, Peter Cadue, and Pascal Pensioneau, were probably well known to our first settlers. Their intimate knowledge of savage customs and languages, enabled them to serve well as interpreters between Indians and whites. In the life of Albert W. Phillips, of Hudson Township, McLean County, Ill. (Duis; The Good Old Times, Page 641.) we are told that one, "Peter Cudjo, who had married an Indian woman" interpreted a sermon preached by Rev. Jesse Walker, the pioneer Methodist missionary, to some Kickapoos who attended the white mans religious services. This was about 1830. When the Kickapoos removed westward, Dadue and Pensioneau went with them. Pensioneau was with the "Prairie Band" under Peomotat, when they crossed the Mississippi at St. Genevieve, Mo. In October, 1819, on their way to Mexico. When Cadue left Illinois, I do not know. Both had Kickapoo wives, and both had descendants living on the Kickapoo Reservation in Brown County, Kansas, when I visited it in 1906 and 1909. Among them were Papoone, daughter of Pascal Pensioneau, and Paul Cadue, and William Cadue, sons of Peter Cadue. The latter were both evidently men past middle age. Their father, Peter Cadue, was accidentally killed near Kennekuk, Kans. about 1860, being thrown from a horse he was riding. It is said he was more than ninety years old at the time of his death. Paul Cadue died Oct. 5, 1917. Pascal Pensiouneau died in Oklahoma also aged more than ninety years, but I do not know the date of his death. His daughter, Papoone, was the wife of Masquat and mother of Jack Masquat who was killed by lightning at his home on the Kickapoo Reservation in Kansas, several years ago. Frank Cadue, son of Charles, grandson of Frank, and great-grandson of Peter Cadue, was soldier in the world and was killed in France in 1918.
By information from William Cadue, as contained in a letter to me from L.L. Bonnin, of Horton, Kans. Jan. 9, 1918, I learned that Peter Cadue was married three times, first to Mekee, by who he had Mitchell, Betsey, and "another girl", second, to Kish-e-pee, (Keesh-pee, Paul Cadue told me.) by whom he ha: Frank, John, William, and Paul, and third, to Kas-mah-quah, by whom he had Peter Cadue, Jr.
From the same informant, I also learned that Pascal Pnsioneau was married to Mah-mish-ee-kah, by whom he had two daughters, Papoonee and Mah-nee, and a son named Kennekuk.
M. C.
[Printed in the "Central Illinois Historical Annual" - transcribed by Janice Louie]

WILLIAM O. BAIRD, senior member of the firm of Baird & Dresser, of New Rockford, dealers in real estate, loans and collections, is one of the wide-awake business men of Eddy county, and has been closely identified with the financial interests of that region for the past ten years. He owns extensive farm lands in that vicinity and conducts general farming and stock raising with eminent success.
Our subject was born in Bloomington, Illinois, December 3, 1861, and is a son of William F. and Anna M. (Offutt) Baird, both of whom were Americans by birth, and the mother was a native of Kentucky. Our subject was the eldest of the living children, and was raised on a farm. His father was an extensive farmer and also conducted the real estate business, and his son was given the advantage of a liberal education. He attended the common schools and later spent two years at Helmuth College, in London, Ontario, and in 1879 began work with the Bloomington Nursery Company, and was employed in their offices about three years. He began farming in Illinois in 1882, and engaged in that pursuit five years, and in the spring of 1888 came to North Dakota. After two months spent at Devil's Lake he located at New Rockford and established a real estate and loan office, and also followed farming. William C. Dresser became his partner in January, 1896, and the firm is known as Baird & Dresser. The business has prospered, and they now conduct a general real-estate, collection and loan business. The firm owns and operates a large farm near the town, and Mr. Baird also owns seventeen hundred and sixty acres of land, divided into two farms, eleven hundred and twenty acres being two and a half miles from New Rockford, and the other six hundred and forty acres two miles further from the town. He engages in grain, cattle and horse raising, and general farming.
Our subject was married, in 1882, to Miss Mary Johnston, who was born and raised in Danvers, Illinois. Mrs. Baird's father, Levi Johnson, was a traveling salesman. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Baird: Charles E., born in Illinois; and William J., born in Dakota. Mr. Baird is a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Masonic fraternity, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Modern Woodmen of America and Yeomen. He is an earnest worker for the welfare of his community, and was elected clerk of courts in 1889 and served one term. He is an independent voter in political matters, and is a man who keeps abreast of the times and lends his influence for the best local government.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio]



FORD, William Schofield, president W. S. Ford & Co.; born, Bloomington, ILL., Apr. 9, 1873; son of Edwin D. and Ellen (Schofield) Ford; educated in high school of Sedalia, Mo.; unmarried. Entered Meier China and Glass Co. (established 1857) as bill clerk, 1894, and served as salesman, buyer, etc., before being elected, 1904, as vice president of the company, wholesale and retail dealers; in 1907 organized the firm of W. S. Ford & Co., dealers in hotel supplies, of which is president. Republican. Clubs: Missouri Athletic, Triple A (director), Country, City, Century Boat, Universal Exposition. Office: 411 N. 3d St. Residence: Buckingham Hotel.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Thomas J. Sylvester, Normal Brick Mason is Builder of Many Landmarks in the Twin Cities and County

Thomas J. Sylvester

A Native of England, He came Here in May 1869, and Was in Business 46 Years
[Published by The Daily Pantagraph October 6, 1927 - tr. by Carol Sylvester]

Thomas J. Sylvester, 82 years old retired brick mason and native of England, who has been a resident of Normal for the past 58 years and an active brick mason and contractor for 46 years in this vicinity, has seen building conditions and operations in Normal and Bloomington go through remarkable changes.
Sylvester, a native of England, came to the United States in February 1869, coming to Normal in May of the same year. When he came to Normal he states that there was no a single brick business building in the town. He helped in the construction of the first brick building which was a little on story structure for a butcher shop on the present location of Hall's Coffee Shop in Normal.

Built Many Structures
Sylvester's activities as brick mason and contractor during the 46 years that he was engaged in the business, have carried him through the construction of many of the important buildings of the vicinity. With the exception of three buildings, he says he helped construct all the brick business houses in Normal. He was the builder of the present Pantagraph building at the corner of Jefferson and Madison streets. He built the first smokestack and set the first boiler on the Normal University campus and built the smokestack at the Soldier's Orphan's Home and the first school there.
Many other landmarks in McLean County reared their walls toward the sky under the touch of the trowel of this well known mason.
Learned the Trade in England
Coming to the United States at the age of 24, Sylvester, who had learned the trade of a brick mason with his uncle Rodger Whitaker of Checkley Green, Cheshire, England, where Sylvester was born, had made up his mind to be a farmer and first of all went to Park County where he found work for a few months with a farmer living along the Illinois River. Loneliness for the association of groups of people to which he had been accustomed to in England caused Sylvester to give up his aspirations for farming and he came to Normal in the spring of 1870, where he obtained work as a brick mason with the firm of Blake, Hutson and Sweeting. Sylvester worked all summer that year for his new employers at a wage of $2.50 per day.
Speaking of the first brick laying job he started for himself in Normal, Sylvester said that the offer came from the owner of a grist mill which then stood where the old hotel building site now is located on Beaufort Street. The owner addressed him saying "Englishman did you ever set a boiler?" Sylvester who had been accustomed to such work in England gladly accepted the opportunity for work and with the assistance of another mason succeeded in completing the work in record time.
Started for Himself
Soon after this Sylvester decided to start out for himself in the masonry and contracting business and begin with a number of small jobs such as building cisterns, smoke stacks. In the spring of 1871 he began work on the new school house, at the Soldier's Orphans Home which was completed that fall and followed by the construction of the smokestack. Sylvester was employed by various masonry jobs at the Home throughout the entire winter.
Of the Illinois Soldier's Orphans Home when he first arrived in Normal, Sylvester stated that at that time it was still located on North Main Street in Bloomington and that the big main hall at the present home was just then under construction and occupied the following year before he began his work there.
In the spring of 1872 Mr. Sylvester started work on the Emerson School building which until recently has been standing. Following this job he began taking all his masonry work by contract and hiring other masons to assist him in his work. Most of the masonry work at the Orphan's Home and the Normal University was done with Sylvester as the contractor. The famous Fell Memorial was built by him later in his work here.
Built First Oven
He laid the brick on the Christian Church in Normal and built the first bake oven that was installed at the Orphan's Home.
Sylvester was married in 1871 to Miss Martha Ellen Dunseth of Money Creek Township. They reared a family of six sons and six daughters. Mr. Sylvester taught each of his sons the brick mason trade and as he said, "today every one of my boys except one is following the trade that I taught him."
Mr. Sylvester's contracting and masonry work was continued until the death of his wife in 1916 when he retired from the business. During his early life in Normal Mr. Sylvester served as a member of the city council for 11 years. He is the only surviving charter member of the Normal Building and Loan Association and is connected to the Normal State Bank board.
"Became a Democrat"
Talking of politics, Mr. Sylvester said "Yes, I'm a Democrat, and I'll tell you how I happened to be a Democrat. I began work in Normal for Huston and his firm, not being lined up with either political party. Huston was a radical Republican and it was largely because of this that I became a radical Democrat. When Grant was president and brought about the raise in salaries for members of Congress as well as himself, I asked Huston if that was the type of politics that his party favored and if so, I didn't care to be a Republican. From that date to this, I have been a Democrat and a fairly radical one too. I cast my first ballot in and election in this country for Samuel J. Tilden.
On a Ship That Went Down
Mr. Sylvester has made the trip back to his native country since coming to America and as he reports it was a trip I'll never forget, for it was on that trip that the ship on which I was sailing the City of Brussels was rammed by another ship and sunk.
Mr. Sylvester together with a majority of the ship's passengers, was carried to safety. Mr. Sylvester visited his brothers in England for several weeks and returned to America early in the spring of 1893.
"Really Live in England"
In regard to the best place to live, Mr. Sylvester said "For real enjoyment of life there is not a better place to be around than England. Altho I've enjoyed living in this country, still the laboring class in England get so much more real enjoyment out of life. They don't get half as much money but they get so much more out of what they do get."
Mr. Sylvester was married in 1922 to Mrs. Samantha Jane Pumphrey of McLean County who is still living.
Mr. Sylvester altho nearly 82 years old is still in good health and enjoys his life as much as ever. He moved about with the assistance of a cane because of a crippled foot, but otherwise is as active as a man of much younger age.


G. W. BURNS

G.W. Burns

G. W. BURNS, president of the Burns Motor Company at Columbia, is not only an automobile salesman and distributor but a thoroughly technical man in the automobile industry. His experience began a number of years ago, and he has been the Studebaker representative in different parts of the country and a resident of Columbia since 1917.

Mr. Burns was born on a farm in McLean County, Illinois, some thirty years ago, son of J. J. and Laura Jane (Watts) Burns, both deceased. His father was also a native of McLean County, and a wealthy farmer in the famous Illinois corn belt. His father as a pioneer settler had acquired land in that part of the Prairie State when it was very cheap. A part of G. W. Burns' inheritance from his father's estate was a fine quarter section farm, a part of the old homestead. This property he still owns.

G. W. Burns was educated in the public schools, and in the Bradley Polytechnic Institute at Peoria. While growing up on the farm he became familiar with every phase of its management, though agriculture has not been his chosen career. About the time the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend began manufacturing automobiles on an extensive scale, he went to work in the company's offices in Chicago, afterward was in their Detroit office, and subsequently represented the corporation in Tennessee and at Atlanta, Georgia. His technical education, supplemented by practical experience in the automobile industry, made him a first-class man in automotive engineering and practice, and as such he has always held a place of honor with the Studebaker concern.
Mr. Burns came to Columbia in 1917 and at first hired only desk room while interesting buyers in the Studebaker car. After a short time he moved to 910-912 Main Street, and in July, 1919, found more adequate quarters for his increasing business at the corner of Main and Calhoun streets. His establishment now occupies a lot 417 by 156 feet, and early in 1920 an additional second story was completed. Since coming to Columbia he has realized his ambition for a complete automobile plant. He has the equipment, machinery and expert service capable of building a car outright. Some of the noteworthy features of his service are a welding department, vulcanizing department, upholstering department, painting and trimming plant, and also an admirable cleaning and repair department. These various facilities have had much to do with the prosperous growth of his business and the great popularity of the Studebaker products in and around Columbia.

Mr. Burns is one of the active members of the Columbia Automotive Trades Association and also the state organization. He has made himself a part of the public spirited citizenship of Columbia, Recently he completed a beautiful home in Wales Garden, the exclusive residential section of Columbia. Mr. Burns is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, also a member of the Ridgewood and the Columbia Kiwanis clubs. He married Ruth Roberts, of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Their children are Margaret, Dorothy and George W., Jr. [South Carolina, Special Limited Edition, 1920]


BACK -- HOME

Always Updating, Always Free at Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails