McLean County, Illinois
ABRAHAM H. CARLOCK, one of the prosperous farmers of White Oak Township, is located on section 20, where he has established a comfortable homestead and built for himself a reputation as an honest man and a good citizen. His parents were Abraham W. and Mary (Goodpasture), Carlock, natives of Overton County, Tenn., the father born April 7, 1800, and the mother, Jan. 4, 1803. Mrs. Carlock, on her father's side, was of English descent, and several of her brothers became prominent men of the State of Tennessee. One of them, Judge Winburn Goodpasture, was Circuit Judge in Tennessee for many years and presided over several counties. Dillard Goodpasture, another brother, is a prominent banker at Nashville, Tenn.; John and McDonald Goodpasture are both prominent physicians in Nashville. Abraham Goodpasture was a clergyman of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Petersburg, Ill.; he is now deceased. William Goodpasture, of Elkhart, Logan Co., Ill., is a prominent farmer. Mrs. Carlock, on her mother's side, was of Scotch descent.
Abraham Carlock was a farmer and stock-raiser, and left his native State while yet a young man, in 1829. Coming to Morgan County, this State, he rented land for two years and then, coming into this county, purchased 360 acres in Kansas Township, Woodford County, and White Oak Township, McLean County. He was prospered in his farming and business transactions, and added to his landed possessions until he became the owner of 1,700 acres, 700 of which he disposed of before his death, but retained 1,000, which since his death has been subdivided. He was here during the winter of the deep snow, which is so well remembered by the early settlers who were confined to their cabins for several weeks, being unable to communicate with each other. At one time he saw a tribe of Tippecanoe Indians, which passed about sixty rods from his house on their way to Tippecanoe, Ind. There was then no market for farm produce, and for several seasons he was obliged to drive his hogs to Chicago to sell, and frequently after his toilsome journey could only get in exchange for them a small stock of groceries, but in common with the other pioneers he was made of stanch stuff, which permitted no thought of relinquishing his first project of establishing a home in the West. He lived to see many. changes in the face of the country and the progress of civilization, and spent his last days where he had toiled the most, and finally reaped an abundant reward.
The subject of this history was born in Kansas Township, Woodford County, this State, Aug. 22, 1847. He remained on the homestead during his childhood and youth, and, after an attendance of three years completed his studies in the college at Eureka. The home circle of his parents included twelve children, four now deceased: John G. married Miss Lucinda Music; Madison P. married for his first wife Mrs. Ewing; his second wife was Miss Nancy Judy, of Logan County, Ill.; Nancy became the wife of Thomas Brown, of McLean County; Sarah was three times married, her first husband being William Allen, the second Squire Marley, of Tazewell County, and the third, George Cranson, of Gibson, Ill.; William B. married Miss Missouri McCart, of Bloomington; Mahala became the wife of Benjamin F. Gaddis; Abraham H. is our subject; Margery married William Pusey, of Bloomington; Lavina became the wife of Ira Rowell, of Danvers Township.
Mr. Carlock of this sketch was married, in Bloomington, to Miss Ida Edwards. Jan. 9, 1879. After his marriage he removed to the farm upon which he now resides, and which consists of 205 acres. This is finely improved and cultivated, and upon it is a comfortable and commodious residence, with a good barn and all necessary improvements. In addition to general farming he is giving much attention to the raising of a good grade of stock. Our subject is Democratic in politics, and in all respects is fulfilling the obligations of a good citizen.
Mrs. Carlock is the daughter of Elisha and Celia (Hedges) Edwards, who were natives of Morgan County, Ohio, and were married there in 1856. They came to Illinois that same year and settled in Le Roy, this county, where Mr. Edwards engaged in the grocery trade for five or six years. He then purchased 160 acres of fine farming land, and engaged in agriculture for three years. He then removed to Bloomington, and is now living retired from active labor. He was an Alderman there for about ten years, and served as Justice of the Peace several years. Mrs. Celia Edwards was born Jan. 3, 1840, and became the mother of two children Emeline and Orson. By the second marriage there were born seven children, as follows: Mary B., who died in infancy: Ida I., Elmer, Effie, Edwin, Minnie and Myrtle, twins; Oscar died in 1873; Emeline became the wife of Byron Covey, and Effie became Mrs. George Winchell.
Our subject and his wife have become the parents of three children Lulu E., born Oct. 25, 1879, Pearl L., Aug. 23, 1881, and Celia Mabel, April 14, 1884. Mrs. Carlock is a member of the Christian Church.
The grandfather of our subject was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and also in the War of 1812, and took part in the battle of New Orleans, one of the hardest fought and last battles of that war. The grandfather of Mrs. Carlock was a successful physician and minister, and the author of a medical work of great merit. He died in the prime of life, when but fifty years of age.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 568. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards
Copyright © Genealogy Trails