McLean County, Illinois
DR. A. L. CHAPMAN, of Bloomington, has been a practicing physician of McLean County for a period of ten years and came to this city in 1883. He is one of the reliable physicians of this locality, and enjoys a large and lucrative practice in both city and country. Dr. Chapman was born in Smyrna, Harrison Co., Ohio, on the 25th of January, 1847, and is the son of Dr. R. C. and Mary (McDonald) Chapman, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. They emigrated to Ohio after their marriage, in 1843, locating in Hendrysburg, Belmont County, where the father of our subject engaged in the practice of medicine, but subsequently removed to Newcomerstown, where he remained until his death, after a practice of twenty-nine years in that place; the mother died in 1848. Of their family of four children, three are now living: Catharine M., Mrs. Berg, of El Paso, Woodford Co., Ill.; Dr. A. L, of our sketch, and Mary E., Mrs. Brown, of Newcomerstown, Ohio.
The subject of this history remained with his parents until sixteen years of age, and received a fair education in the common schools. The war then being in progress he enlisted in Co. G, 76th Ohio Vol. Inf., and remained in service until the close of the war. He went in as a drummer boy, but after two months threw his drum away, substituting for it a musket, and participated with his comrades in the battles of Resaca, Ga., Altona Pass [ed., Allatoona Pass], Big Shanty, Kennesaw Mountain and the siege of Atlanta, winding up his military services at the battle of Bentonville, in North Carolina.
After his honorable discharge from the army young Chapman resumed his studies at the High School in his native town, and after a three years' course entered the Eastman National Business College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., from which he graduated in 1866. In 1869 he went to Nashville, Tenn. and became teacher in a graded school whence, after eighteen months, he removed to Glasgow, Ky., where he taught a few months, and then returning home attended another term at the High School. He then resumed teaching until 1874, in the meantime reading medicine, and the following year entered the Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he graduated in 1876. He commenced practice at Bellaire, Ohio, and in 1877 came to Illinois, locating in Oak Grove, this county, where he remained until 1883, when he came to Bloomington. He is a member of the Board of United States Pension Examining Surgeons, and is Secretary of McLean County Medical Society.
Dr. Chapman was married in 1879, to Miss Lydia Bramwell, of Dry Grove Township, this county, and the daughter of Ezra F. and Rebecca (Griffith) Bramwell, of Indiana. Her parents came to Illinois in 1856, and purchased a farm which they still occupy. The Doctor and Mrs. C. have become the parents of two children -- Jessie R. and Mary C. Their comfortable and attractive home is located at No. 703 East Washington street, and they enjoy the society and friendship of a large circle of acquaintances.
Politically our subject uniformly casts his vote with the Democratic party. Socially he belongs to the G. A. R., the Red Men, Commercial Council, the Blue Lodge and Chapter of the A. F. & A. M., and the Knights Templar, and also a new organization called the Union Veterans Union.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 261. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails