McLean County, Illinois
NICHOLAS DIEDRICH, Jr., of Bloomington, is an extensive manufacturer of cast and wrought iron, shaftings, pulleys, millwork and general machinery, also makes and repairs engines and boilers, and executes all orders with promptness and dispatch. His shops occupy Nos. 407 and 409 South Center street and Nos. 404 and 406 Madison street.
Mr. Diedrich is a native of Bloomington, and was born in September, 1860. He is the son of Nicholas and Catharine (Clemen) Diedrich, who were of German birth and parentage. The father of our subject emigrated to America in 1852, and Miss Catharine Clemen came two years later. He first stopped in Albany, N. Y., where he remained two years, and then came to Chicago, arriving at Bloomington in 1856. In the meantime he had been married to Miss Clemen, in 1855, and to them were given three children: Louisa, at home; Bertha, now Mrs. Cloppenburg, of Springfield, Ill., and the subject of this sketch.
After coming to Bloomington, Nicholas Diedrich, Sr., was employed by the C. & A. R. R. Co. and remained for two years. He then had charge of the Flagg Foundry. In the winter of 1860-61, he with two others started the Bloomington Foundry, but afterward sold their interest in it to Mr. Ollis, and in 1869 started the Union Foundry. His first shop was a frame building which was destroyed by fire in 1874. In 1876 he put up a brick building, the machine shop being 50x60 feet, and a pattern-room in the second story, also two stores, a foundry 40x80, and a boiler-room 20x40 feet, all of brick, besides other necessary buildings. Mr. Diedrich operated here until 1882, and then leased his building to his son, who has continued the business since that time, and employs on an average twenty men.
Our subject is a graduate of the High School and Business College of Bloomington. He was employed with his father in the foundry business when a young man, and is in every respect a practical machinist. He is a member of the firm of Diedrich & Hayes, practical heating engineers and manufacturers of the Rattan tubular masonry-furnaces, ventilators, room-heaters, registers, etc., the office being located at Nos. 59 and 61 Lake street, Chicago.
Our subject was married in 1883, to Miss Lizzie Lowentrout, also a native of Bloomington, and the daughter of F. W. Lowentrout. Of this union there have been born three children Irene, Ethel, who died in infancy, and Lawrence. The family is pleasantly located at No. 609 West Market street. Mr. Diedrich is Republican in politics, and a useful factor in the business community.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 204-5. Transcribed by Judy Edwards
Copyright © Genealogy Trails