A. S. EDDY, Cashier of the People's Bank, Bloomington, Ill., has been a resident of this State for a period of over thirty years, and most of the time since 1855, a resident of that city. He was born in Scipio, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Sept. 12, 1837, his parents being Rev. H. J. and Abigail (Bull) Eddy, also natives of the Empire State. The father of our subject was a Baptist clergyman. After a college education, in 1836, he entered the ministry and presided over a parish until the outbreak of the late war, and then officiated as Chaplain in the army from 1861 to 1864, being with the 33d Illinois Infantry. He came to Bloomington in 1855, and labored for the Baptist Church there a number of years, and in 1867 removed to Belvidere, where he remained five years and afterward labored in Syracuse, N. Y., for six years. He then went to New York City, where he has since resided, having retired from the ministry some years since. The mother of our subject died in 1843, leaving her husband with three children: Jerome H., who is now in the newspaper business in New York City; A. S., and Herman J., engaged in the tobacco and cigar trade.
A. S. Eddy remained at home until fourteen years old, and received his early education in the public schools of New York City. At the age named he became employed as messenger boy in the Bank of North America, of New York City, and after remaining two years was Assistant Teller for the same length of time. In 1855 he came with his parents to Bloomington, and was soon afterward engaged as a clerk in the McLean County Bank, where he remained until 1859. He was appointed Deputy Circuit Clerk under William McCullough, and filled the duties of this office until 1861. The war then coming on he enlisted in Co. K, 8th Ill. Vol. Inf., the Oglesby Regiment," at the three months' call. After this term of service had expired, he re-enlisted in the 4th New York Heavy Artillery, serving altogether from 1861 to 1864. He was first made Orderly Sergeant, then First Lieutenant, and during the Wilderness campaign received the commission of Captain.
Mr. Eddy retired from the army in 1864, and returning to Bloomington was united in marriage with Miss Emma, the daughter of Dr. C. and Harriet H. (Richardson) Wakefield, of this county. He was then employed as book-keeper for Dr. Wakefield, and after three years thus occupied became a member of the firm, where he remained six years. He then sold out his interest, and engaged in merchandising for eight years following. The next seven years he was occupied as Teller in the Peoples' Bank, and since that time he has been Cashier, likewise a stockholder since 1878.
Mr. and Mrs. Eddy have become the parents of five children Emma A., Florence G., Adelbert C., Louis O. and Maxwell. Our subject in politics is independent. He at one time served as City Treasurer of Bloomington, and ranks among its most prominent and enterprising business men. He belongs to the Knights Templar and the G. A. R. The family residence at No. 406 East Washington street, is replete with all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life, and Mr. Eddy with his family, enjoys the esteem and friendship of a large circle of acquaintances.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 676. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.