FRANK EDWARDS owns and operates one of the best livery and feed stables in the city of Bloomington, being located at No. 410 West Front street. Our subject is a native of this county, having been born near Pleasant Hill on the 7th of April, 1858, and is the son of George W. and Mary A. (Heney) Edwards, natives respectively of Tennessee and Troy, N. Y. George W. Edwards left his native State when a small boy, and emigrated to Carter County, Kan., where he was engaged on a farm until 1845. He then returned East as far as Illinois, and settled at Paris, Edgar County, where he engaged in keeping hotel. Thence he removed to Pleasant Hill, McLean County, and occupied himself in the manufacture of furniture until 1861. He then came to the city of Bloomington, engaged as a painter, and eight years later purchased a farm two and one-half miles east of the city, where he has since lived. He was married on the 1st of January, 1847. The parental household included four children: William H., who resides on the home farm; Frank, our subject; Fred and Ned, at home.
Frank Edwards, at the age of twelve years, started out for himself and was employed the following two summers in work on a farm. He then learned house and sign painting, which he followed a few years, and during the fall and winter also occupied himself in buying and selling horses. In this latter he was remarkably successful, and concluded to give it his future attention. He established his present business in the winter of 1881-82, which from a comparatively humble beginning now yields him a handsome income. He subsequently purchased a farm in Bloomington Township, which he only occupied, however, for six months, and then moved into the city. Here he occupies a handsome residence at No. 524 West Grove street, and in his business and social life is esteemed as one of the most valued citizens of Bloomington.
Our subject was married to Miss Annie Long, of Kentucky, in 1881. Mrs. E. is the daughter of George and Mary E. (Dixon) Long, of Kentucky, where the father died in 1868. Mrs. Long came to Bloomington in 1879, and is living with her daughter, Mrs. Edwards. The parental family included six children, of whom one is deceased. Those surviving are: William A., James M., Annie, Betty (Mrs. A.E. White of Bloomington), and Georgia A.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 243-4. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards