McLean County, Illinois
JOHN W. FISHER, D. S, of Bloomington, Ill., is a native of Flushing, Belmont Co., Ohio, where he was born in a log cabin on the 2d of October, 1829. His parents were John and Hannah (Thompson) Fisher, natives of Virginia, who came to Ohio after their marriage and engaged in farming pursuits.
John Fisher, Sr., in early life had learned the trade of a cooper, but practically abandoned it after removing westward. The parents established a comfortable home in the Buckeye State, upon which they passed the remainder of their lives, the mother dying in 1881, and the father two years later.
The parental family included nine children, five now living, as follows: Martha, Mrs. Smith, resides in Ohio; the next oldest is our subject, Dr. John W.; Asa B. is in Wichita, Kan; Maria, Mrs. Baldertson, is in Washington, Kan.; Anna, Mrs. Holloway, lives in Ohio.
Dr. Fisher was reared on the farm of his parents, and well remembers how the snow drifted through the cracks of their humble cabin as he lay in his bed in the winter time. He received a fair education in the primary schools, and remained under the parental roof until he was twenty-two years of age. He then read medicine for one year, and commenced the study of dentistry a year later, first engaging in practice in his own town.
He was without capital, but was desirous to go to St. Clairsville, the county seat of Belmont County, where he believed he could find a better field of operation. An old Quaker [ed., Quakers are a/k/a the Religious Society of Friends], Daniel Huff, knowing of his desires, stopped him on the road one day, and holding out $100 invited him to help himself. Young Fisher accepted $50 at eight per cent interest, and six months after settling in St. Clairsville paid the indebtedness in full, both principal and interest.
Dr. Fisher practiced in St. Clairsville for over eleven years, with fine results, then, desiring to see something of the western country, he started for the Prairie State, and in 1869 came to Bloomington. He did not commence practice, however, until two years later, but since 1871 has followed his profession continuously.
On the 24th of July, 1861, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Clemens, who was born in Harrison County, Ohio, and was the daughter of James and Pleasant (Merritt) Clemens, natives of Pennsylvania. Of this union there were born two children, a son and daughter James E. and Mary A.
Their pleasant home is located at No. 514 East Locust street, and the office of Dr. Fisher is at No. 402 North Main. In addition to his dwelling in the city he has a farm of 120 acres in Blue Mound Township, which is cultivated and improved, and quite valuable. Dr. Fisher is Republican in politics, and a regular attendant of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Illinois State Dental Society, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity. He is highly esteemed as a citizen, and in his profession ranks among its most skillful and successful members.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 373. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails