LESTER GREEN, one of the leading business men of Bloomington, and an extensive dealer in hard and soft coal, has his yards at the corner of Howard and Mulberry streets, and his city office at No. 314 North Center street. Mr. Green is a native of England, was born in 1846, and is the son of John and Martha (Fox) Green, who also were natives of England. John Green carried on draying and transportation business, and the grandfather of our subject was a woolen manufacturer. After his decease his son John continued the business until his death, which occurred July 15, 1850. Six years after the death of her husband, the mother of our subject came with her family of three children to the United States and at once proceeded westward to Illinois, settling first at Jerseyville, Jersey County, where they remained until 1858. They then came to Bloomington, where the mother has since lived. Lester, of our sketch, was the eldest child; Anna, Mrs. Ragland, lives in Chicago, and has four children Walter, John, Rosa and Violet. John is a locomotive engineer and makes his home at Bloomington.
Lester Green received a good education, his younger days being mostly spent in school, and he pursued his studies three years after the family became residents of Bloomington. He was then employed by the month at farming, and continued at this and other work until 1867, when he started a dray line and operated it for about four years; then at the same headquarters he opened his present office and has now built up an extensive and lucrative trade in coal. He gives employment to four men and uses four double teams in the delivery of orders. Besides this business he has also dealt considerably in real estate. He purchased his present property, which includes his home and office, in 1871. He is now one of the leaders in city affairs, having held the office of Alderman in the Second Ward and is Vice-President of the Bloomington Co-operative Coal Company. He always takes an active interest in the welfare of his city and county, and contributes liberally of his means to the support of every worthy enterprise. His latch string always hangs out to the poor and needy, and he is in all respects one of the useful factors in the social and business elements of the city.
Mr. Green was united in marriage with Miss Ellen Steele in 1870, and they have three children Gertrude, Flora and Ida. Mrs. Green is the daughter of Alexander and Sivillia (McGowen) Steele, who were natives of Ohio. The little household is surrounded by all the comforts of life, and enjoys the esteem of a large circle of acquaintances.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 282. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.