DR. WILLIAM E. GUTHRIE, a rising young physician of Bloomington, is junior member of the firm of White & Guthrie, and is fast winning for himself a prominent and honorable name in the medical profession of McLean County. Dr. Guthrie was born in Abingdon, Knox Co., Ill., in 1857, and is the son of Peter and Caroline E. (Corsan) Guthrie, natives respectively of Bloomington, Ill., and Warren County, Ohio.
Both Peter Guthrie and his wife were born in 1829; the former worked with his father at his trade of a plasterer and brick-mason, afterward engaging as a contractor and builder. He is now a resident of Normal, being Constable of that village, and in 1886 was candidate for Sheriff. The parental family consisted of two children, of whom only the subject of our sketch is living.
Our subject's grandfather, Robert Guthrie, was a native of Ohio, and came to Illinois in 1826. settling in Bloomington, where he cultivated a small farm and followed his trade of carpenter as opportunity afforded. His family included seven children John, Robert, Margaret, Adam, Peter, Kate and Lee all of whom lived to be men and women, and were educated in Bloomington.
The younger days of our subject were spent in school, where he improved his opportunities, and commenced teaching at the age of eighteen years. He was thus occupied for three years, in the meantime pursuing his studies in a higher school, after his own winter term had closed. He attended Wesleyan and Normal Universities. In the fall of 1876 there were thirty-three competitive candidates for entrance to the Military School at West Point, of which young Guthrie was successful, and was accordingly sent there, but remained, however, only a short time. He then returned home to McLean County, and commenced to read medicine with Drs. White and Worrell, of Bloomington. After a time he entered Rush Medical College at Chicago, from which he graduated in 1881, and was proffered a partnership with Dr. White, which he gladly accepted. He has made rapid strides in his profession since that time, and been intrusted with important business in connection with his practice. For two years he was Surgeon of the 4th Regiment, State Militia; has been County Physician four years, and is a member of the McLean County, the Central Illinois and the State Medical Societies, and in June, 1887, was appointed District Surgeon of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad. His office at present is located in the Post Office Block.
The marriage of Dr. Guthrie and Miss Letta Smith was celebrated in 1882, at the residence of the bride's parents. Mrs. G. is the daughter of Oliver and Elizabeth (Warren) Smith, of Wichita, Kan., and by her marriage with our subject has become the mother of two daughters Lelia, born Jan. 1, 1883, and Bernardine, Oct. 25, 1886. The family are located in a pleasant home at No. 503 East Washington street, where they have gathered around them a circle of warm friends, and are happy in the prospects of a bright and prosperous future.
Dr. Guthrie is a member of the Republican party, and was the first Commander of the Sons of Veterans, with which order he is still connected.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 206. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards