C. W. LANDER, proprietor of the livery and sale stables at Nos. 203, 205 and 207 North street, Bloomington,
is a native of Kentucky and was born April 4, 1828. He is the son of Samuel and Sallie (Haggard) Lander, natives
of the same State as their son. The father of our subject in 1835 came to Illinois with his family, and entered
a tract of Government land in Bloomington Township. He subsequently purchased two improved farms, and at one time
was the owner of 2,000 acres in this county. He afterward disposed of the most of his property in this State, and
went to Denison, Tex., where he now lives retired from active labor; the mother died in Bloomington in 1844. Their
four children were John D., of Kansas; C. W, of our sketch; Richard M., of Bloomington, and Mrs. Z. A. York, of
this county. Samuel Lander was a prominent man in the community in which he lived, Democratic in politics, and
a member of the Constitutional Convention which met at Springfield in 1846. He was connected with the Baptist Church
for a period of fifty-five years, fifty years of this time serving as Deacon. He became interested in city property,
was the stanch and liberal supporter of school and church institutions, and actively interested in all matters
pertaining to the moral and intellectual welfare of his county and State.
The subject of this history was reared on his father's farm and received a practical education. After leaving home he came to Bloomington and engaged in teaming, also in buying and selling horses until 1857. He then became proprietor of an omnibus line, which he continued to operate until the breaking out of the war. Enlisting in Co. E, 94th Ill. Vol. Inf., he served two months as Regimental Wagon-master, when he was detailed as Division Wagon-master and remained in this department of the service until March, 1864. Subsequently he was appointed Quartermaster Agent and had full control of the teams of ten regiments. He went from Missouri to Vicksburg, then down the river to Morgan's Bend; from there to New Orleans, thence to Brownsville, Tex., and then returning to Louisiana soil halted at Baton Rouge. After being mustered out at Brownsville, in 1864, he returned to Bloomington, and in 1865 engaged in the wood and coal business until the spring of 1866. He was then elected City Marshal and after serving twenty months resigned and resumed the wood and coal business, following this for three years thereafter, and also running a dray line until 1872. He then established his present business, which he has successfully followed since. His stock comprises from fifteen to twenty fine horses and some of the most tasteful turnouts in the city. A ripe experience has rendered him an expert in the business, and his courteous and obliging manner has gained him hosts of friends.
Mr. Lander was married on the 31st of December, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Wallace, the daughter of William and Elizabeth (Adolph) Wallace, of Philadelphia, Pa., and they became the parents of two children; Frank, who has been engaged in the livery business at Normal since 1884, and Ida, at home. Mrs. Lander departed this life on the 9th of January, 1862, at her husband's home in Bloomington. She was a lady greatly esteemed by all who knew her, and a consistent member of the First Baptist Church.
The present wife of our subject, is Miss Letitia Garrittson, to whom he was married Nov. 19, 1884. Mrs. Lander was born in Indiana but reared in Bloomington, and by her union with our subject has become the mother of one child, Louise. Mr. Lander is held in that peculiar respect which is tacitly accorded the early pioneers, who by their industry and perseverance paved the way for a later and more perfect civilization. He has materially assisted in the development and growth of this locality by contributing his full share to its business interests, and of his means to whatever had for its object the advancement and prosperity of his community. He is a man of sound judgment and one whose opinions are uniformly respected. Politically he is a stanch adherent of the Republican party, has been an Odd Fellow for the last thirty-five years and is a member in good standing of the G. A. R.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 736. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards