GEORGE F. LOAR, Postmaster of Cropsey, and senior member of the firm of Loar & Hayward, druggists, is a native of Pennsylvania, and born in Greene County, Oct. 5, 1858. His parents, John and Maria (White) Loar, were natives of the same State, whence they removed, in 1867, to Illinois, and settled in Belle Prairie Township, Livingston County, where they engaged in farming pursuits. The homestead upon which the parents still reside contains 160 acres of land, which John Loar during his earlier and active years redeemed from an unimproved tract and converted into a fine and fertile farm.
The parental family of our subject included nine children, of whom George was the fifth in order of birth. He was a lad of nine years when the family came to Illinois. He was reared to manhood in Livingston County, pursued his studies in the common schools, and when nineteen years of age commenced teaching, a vocation which he followed for five years. In the meantime, in 1881, in partnership with his brother, David W., who is a druggist, he established a drug business at Cropsey, which was continued under the firm style of Loar Bros. until December, 1885, at which date Dr. C. E. Hayward purchased the interest of David W. Loar, and the firm became Loar & Hayward.
Mr. Loar is one of the active and enterprising business men of this section and is reckoned among its substantial young citizens. He was married, Nov. 20, 1884, to Miss Clara M., daughter of A. G. and Jane (Moore) Green. Mrs. L. was born at Cedar Falls, Iowa, in 1861, and they have one son, Lloyd Alaire. Mr. Loar was appointed Postmaster at Cropsey in December, 1885, vice David W. Loar resigned, and is fulfilling the duties of his position with credit to himself and satisfaction to all concerned.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 490. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.