McLean County, Illinois
DR. GEORGE W. MASON, a leading physician and surgeon of Bloomington, has been a resident of the city since the spring of 1880, and has built up an extensive and lucrative practice. Dr. Mason was born in Polo, Ogle Co., Ill., Aug. 8, 1850, and is the son of Allen C. and Nancy A. (Wilcoxson) Mason, natives respectively of Rhode Island and Portsmouth, Ohio.
Allen C. Mason left his native State in childhood and removed with his parents to Cayuga County, N. Y., where they located upon a farm, and he was there reared to manhood and received a practical education.
In 1834 he set his face westward, and coming into Ogle County, Ill., entered a tract of land, and also engaged in carpenter work. On the 21st of August, 1849, he was married to the mother of our subject, and they located at Polo, Ogle County, until 1865, when Mr. Mason removed to Normal, where he engaged in mercantile business and spent the remainder of his life, his decease occurring April 17, 1870.
He was a prominent man in the community, a member of the first official board at the organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Normal, and Superintendent of the Sabbath-school for a number of years. Politically he was a strong Republican, greatly interested in educational matters, his chief reason for removing to Normal being that it afforded better facilities for the education of his children. He was a member in good standing of the A. F. & A. M. [ed., Ancient Free and Accepted Masons], and highly respected by all who knew him.
The mother is still living, and a resident of Normal. Of the four children which completed their household circle, three are now living: Dr. George W., our subject; Lettie A., Mrs. Dr. William E. Quine, of Chicago; and Allen C., a resident of Tacoma, W. T. [ed., Tacoma, Washington Territory, now Tacoma, Wa.], the latter being engaged as an attorney, and in the real-estate business, and until recently was editor of the Tacoma News.
The subject of this biography commenced attending school when four and one-half years old, which he continued in the winter seasons until fourteen. He was a bright and studious boy, and at this early age entered the model department of the State Normal University.
At the end of two years he went into the Normal Department of the same institution, from which he graduated in 1869. The course of study and training in this department admirably fitted him for the profession of a teacher, and he was chosen as Principal of the High School of Paris, Edgar County, where, however, he remained but a short time, leaving this to take a similar position in the High School at Charleston, Coles County.
At the expiration of his term here he was placed in charge of the Kramer School at Little Rock, Ark., and after a year in the South went to Pekin, Tazewell County, and graduated in the first class from that institution in 1873.
He then went to Hannibal, Marion Co., Mo., and conducted the High School there for three years. In the meantime he was married to Miss S. Jennie Rudd, of Little Rock, Ark., and the daughter of Henry and Mary Rudd, residents of that State.
Dr. Mason and his young wife located at Little Rock in the fall of 1876, and our subject commenced the study of medicine with Dr. James A. Dibrell, Jr. [ed., professor at the Arkansas Medical College according to the Saint Louis Medical and Surgical Journal], being at the same time engaged as Principal of schools.
Dr. Mason, after a thorough course of study in the Medical College at Chicago [ed, probably the University of Illinois College of Medicine], graduated with high honors in 1880, and delivered the Valedictory address. He served a term as Interne of Mercy Hospital [ed., Mercy Hospital & Medical Center]. The following spring he came to Bloomington, and entered actively upon the practice of his profession, which he has followed continuously since that time. He was the first President of the Bloomington Microscopical Society, and is a Staff Surgeon and Secretary of St. Joseph's Hospital [ed., now OSF St. Joseph Medical Center].
Dr. Mason has won for himself a high position in the profession here, and belongs to the American Medical Association, the Illinois State, the Central Illinois and the McLean County Medical Societies [ed., McLean County Medical Society was organized in 1854], and the Physicians' Club of Bloomington. He is Republican in politics, and socially is identified with the Masonic Lodge, Wade Barney No. 512, also Remembrance Lodge No. 77, of the I. O. O. F., is Past Regent of E. O. Haven Council of the Royal Arcanum, and is Past Grand of the Odd Fellows [ed., Independent Order of Odd Fellows]. He was a charter member of the Y. M. C. A., of Bloomington, and with his wife is a member in good standing of the First Methodist Episcopal Church.
Dr. and Mrs. Mason became the parents of two children, of whom only one is living Mary C. Their residence is located at No. 201 North Main street, the Doctor having his office at his residence. He is a gentleman of fine education, aside from his proficiency in his profession, and numbers among his friends and associates the most cultured people of the city. He is an extensive reader, a close student, and bids fair to become one of the leading lights of the profession in the Prairie State.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 337. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails