WILLIAM T. M. MILLER, a farmer, and at present making his home in Bloomington, was born in Christian County,
Ky., Aug. 17, 1831. His parents were James and Isabella (Moore) Miller, natives of Rockingham and Rockbridge Counties,
Va., who became residents of Kentucky in 1808. In the spring of 1835 they removed to McLean County, Ill., settling
in Bloomington, where James Miller engaged in both merchandising and farming, also having a branch store in DeWitt
He became prominent in public matters and was State Treasurer from 1856 to 1858. The latter year he was elected to the same position, but was obliged to resign soon afterward on account of failing health.
He donated the lot and contributed much of the money to build the first Methodist Episcopal Church in Bloomington, in about 1837. He was Class-Leader and Steward for many years, and indeed, one of the pillars of the church until his decease. He withdrew from active business in 1854, and spent the remainder of his life in the enjoyment of the society of his friends and in doing good as he had opportunity.
Of the five children born to James and Isabella Miller, only three are livingóRobert A., William T. M. and James E. The father departed this life Sept. 23, 1872, and the mother Dec. 29, 1885.
The subject of this biography remained at home until he was twenty-four years old, and commenced dealing in real estate in 1852. He was thus occupied a number of years in Bloomington, when he purchased 400 acres of land in Randolph Township, and although he never lived there, was busily occupied in its care and cultivation.
In 1857, in company with Col. Hogg, he purchased fourteen acres within the city limits and laid out his portion in lots, which he disposed of at a fair price and which enabled many a mechanic with humble means to secure a good home.
He built his present home in 1867, and in 1868 engaged in partnership with George D. McElhiney in the real estate business, which relationship continued until the death of his partner in 1871, when the business was conducted by himself until 1878. He is the owner of valuable city property aside from his home residence.
Mr. Miller was married in 1856, to Miss Belle Lee, the daughter of Robert McCart, of Kentucky, and they became the parents of nine children, all livingóIda B., Cleon, Juliet, Marcus A., Wave, Estella, Homer, Maude and Lola.
Mr. Miller is an independent Democrat and one of the solid and substantial men of McLean County. He was Assistant Supervisor of Bloomington Township from 1878 to 1884, and in other respects has been identified with its growth and prosperity.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 337. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.