M.H. NEWTON, County Recorder, is a resident of Bloomington, where he enjoys the esteem and confidence of his
fellow-citizens. He was born in Hancock County, this State, on the 23rd of May, 1838, being the son of Henry and
Martha (Haggard) Newton, natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky. They were married in the latter State,
and came to Illinois in 1836, locating in Hancock County, where they engaged in farming and lived until the fall
of 1844. They then came into this county, and the father took up eighty acres of land in Dale Township. He erected
a large log house, planted fruit and shade trees, and broke the prairie sod, remaining there until the fall of
1857. Then, selling out, he purchased property in Bloomington, where the parents took up their abode, and the father
retired from active labor. The latter years of their lives were spent with their children in Dale Township.
The mother died in 1871, when seventy-six years old, and the father, in 1875, aged eighty-five. Both were members of the Baptist Church, in which Henry Newton was a Deacon for a number of years. Their three children were Daeson and Louise, twins, and the subject of this sketch. Mr. Newton of this biography was reared on his father's farm, took up his first studies in the district school, and in the winter of 1857-58, attended the High School in Bloomington. For two winters after that he taught school in McLean County, and when not teaching was engaged in farming until the spring of 1876. He then engaged as a traveling salesman for the nurseryman, W. H. Mann, of Gilman, Ill., but abandoned the road in a short time on account of sickness in his family.
Jan. 1, 1877, he became Assistant Circuit Clerk for J. C. McFarland, which position he occupied four years, and in 1880 was elected County Recorder, being re-elected in 1884.
Mr. Newton was married, in 1862, to Miss Martha A. Hoover, who is a native of Ohio, and the daughter of Samuel J. and Christie A. Hoover, natives respectively of Ohio and Scotland. Of this union there have been born four children, William D. being the only one now living, and is Deputy Clerk and Recorder, having been connected with the office since 1882. The family residence is located at No. 309 West Market street. Mr. Newton is Republican in politics, and with his wife and son is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he holds the office of Steward. Before coming to Bloomington he was Justice of the Peace, Township Trustee and School Director.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 660. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards