DR. CHARLES T. ORNER, of the firm of Barnes & Orner, is located at No. 220 North Center street, Bloomington. He was born in Reading, Pa., Sept. 17, 1846, his parents being Jesse and Eveline P. (Pettit) Orner, both natives of Chester County, Pa.
The father was Superintendent of the Iron Rolling Mill of Reading until the outbreak of the late war, when he enlisted in the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry, and was made Captain and chief of transportation in the 9th Army Corps. He was in the service from the capture of Beaufort, S. C., until the winter of 1864-65, and was then transferred to Chattanooga and made Superintendent of the United States Rolling Mill, which he retained until after the close of the war. He then resumed the position which he had left in the rolling-mill at Reading, Pa., and continued until his death, in 1873.
Politically the father of our subject was a Republican, and one of the early temperance workers of his locality. He was skilled in his calling and prominent among the councils of his craft, and occupied the office of National Counselor of the United American Mechanics.
Religiously he was connected with the Lutheran Church. The mother is still living at the old homestead at Reading, Pa.
They had a family of three children. One daughter married Rev. W. E. Snyder, and went with him as a missionary to India, where he died in 1859; Mrs. S. afterward returned to her old home in Reading, Pa., where she still lives. The other sister married Capt. F. M. Yeager, of Reading.
The subject of this biography received his education in the schools of his native city, and remained under the parental roof until after the outbreak of the late war, when he enlisted in Co. M, 198th Pa. Vol. Inf., and was appointed Steward of the 1st Brigade and 1st Division, 5th Corps, in the Army of the Potomac, which position he held until the close of the war. He was engaged in the battles before Petersburg and at Hatches' Run, Gravely Run, Five Forks, High Bridge, and at the surrender of Appomattox.
After being mustered out he returned home and commenced the study of medicine under the instruction of Dr. S. D. Gross, of Philadelphia. He afterward attended lectures at Jefferson Medical College [now Thomas Jefferson University], from which he graduated on the 9th of March, 1867. He soon commenced practice, and received the appointment of Dispensary Surgeon, which he held until August, 1868. when he went to Springfield, Ohio, and for a year following spent most of his time in travel, afterward resuming practice in his native town, where he remained until May, 1871.
In the year last mentioned Dr. Orner came to Illinois, and locating in Saybrook, this county, entered into partnership with Dr. J. L. Ballard, with whom he continued one year. He then practiced alone until September, 1884, and coming to Bloomington City, associated himself with his present partner, Dr. Barnes, and they have operated together since that time.
Dr. Orner stands high in his profession in this State, being connected with the National, State, Illinois Central, McLean County and DeWitt County Medical Societies, and for a time was President and is now Secretary of the Illinois Central Medical Society. He was Pension Surgeon at Saybrook for four years under President Arthur's administration, and is a corresponding member of the Academy of National Science at Reading, Pa.
Dr. Orner was married in 1868, to Miss Mattie E., the daughter of William L. Crothers, of Springfield, Ohio. Their residence is located at No. 7011 North Evans street, where they enjoy the society and friendship of the most cultured people of the city.
Our subject and his wife are members of the First Presbyterian Church, to the support of which they contribute liberally and cheerfully, and are deeply interested in its prosperity. Socially the Doctor belongs to the G. A. R., of which he is Commander, the United American Mechanics and Improved Order of Red Men. He is also Captain of the Sons of Veterans.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 439. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.