WILLIAM R. PATTON. The gentleman whose history is briefly sketched in the following lines, is an active and
practical farmer, in the prime of life, and the proprietor of a snug homestead in Martin Township, on section 6.
He is a native of this State and county, his birth taking place on the 11th of August, 1852. He comes of a good
family, his grandfather being John Patton, who was a native of Kentucky, whence he emigrated in early life to Switzerland
County, Ind., and thence after his marriage, to McLean County, taking up his residence here in 1838, near where
Pleasant Hill is now located, which at that time was an Indian town. In this locality he in due time became the
owner of a large tract of land, and remained there until his death. His son, William W., the father of our subject,
came to this county with his parents when a boy. He was here reared to manhood and received a limited education
in the pioneer schools. He married Miss Catharine, daughter of Jesse Cain, and a native of Rush County, Ind. William
W. Patton was born in Switzerland County, Ind. After his marriage he settled on a farm in McLean County, where
his son, our subject, was born, and which farm the latter now owns and occupies.
The subject of this history is the only one living of three children born to his parents. His father died when he was but two years of age. The mother subsequently married Charles Griffin of Indiana. Her death took place in this township, in 1868. Mr. Griffin died ten years later in 1878. Young Patton remained on the farm with his mother, and during the winter season pursued his studies in the district schools. Later he attended Wesleyan University [ed., Illinois Wesleyan University] for eighteen months, and when his education was completed engaged in farming pursuits. He was married in the twenty-third year of his age, to Miss Anna Woodard, a native of this county, and the daughter of James and Luanna Woodard, of Morgan County, Ind. After marriage the young people went to live on the old homestead, which they have occupied since that time. It lies on the south side of the Mackinaw, and comprises 200 acres of the finest farming land in the county. Mr. Patton has given much attention to the growing of fine stock, and has also been extensively engaged in the raising of corn and hay. The homestead presents an air of comfort in all its appointments, everything about the place being in good order and well cared for.
Of the three children born to Mr. and Mrs. Patton there is only one living, a son, Tilden; the other two died in infancy. Our subject is a stanch Democrat politically, and is in all respects regarded as a praiseworthy and reliable citizen, who has contributed his full share toward the prosperity and progress of his native county.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 457. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.