WILLIAM L. POLLOCK, M. D., one of the most successful physicians and surgeons of McLean County, is a graduate
of Jefferson Medical College [ed., now Thomas Jefferson University], Philadelphia, where he secured his "sheepskin"
on the 8th of March, 1871. He commenced practice at Normal, in this county, whence, in 1872, he came to Heyworth,
of which he has since been a resident, and has built up an extensive and lucrative practice. Dr. Pollock was born
in Bellefontaine, Logan Co., Ohio, on the 4th of May, 1850, and lived in his native town until sixteen years of
age, pursuing his early studies in the primary schools and graduating from the High School. Before he was seventeen
years old he began to receive special instruction under Rev. Mr. Shaw, a druggist of Bellefontaine, and not long
afterward came to Illinois, locating in this county. Here he entered the office of Drs. Stephen Noble, and R. D.
Bradley, of Bloomington, eminent and well-known physicians, and before he was twenty-one years old, had graduated
from Jefferson College, Pennsylvania.
The father of our subject, John Pollock, was a native of Richland County, Ohio, where he was educated and grew to manhood. There, also, he was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Furgeson who, like himself, was of Scottish ancestry. After his marriage, John Pollock began the practice of law at Bellefontaine, Ohio, where he resided for sixteen years. In 1867 he came with his family to Ford County, Ill., and settled at Paxton, the county seat. There, also, he pursued his law practice until 1872, when the Republicans of that county elected him as their representative to the State Legislature. For many years he was associated in partnership with Judge Semple. He is now retired from practice, and for the last six years has been enjoying the fruits of his early labors in a comfortable home at Paxton. The mother is also yet living, and both parents are over seventy years of age.
William L. Pollock was the youngest of four children, three sons and one daughter. The eldest son is now deceased. The living are: John E., an attorney of Bloomington; Mary E., the wife of J. U. Marlow, of Denver, Col., who is engaged as a hotel-keeper and is proprietor of one of the finest houses in the city, and our subject. He was married in 1872, on the 24th of December, at Normal, to Miss Lillie Bingham. Mrs. P. was born March 24, 1851, in Vernon, Ind., and was educated at Eureka, Ill., to which she came with her parents when thirteen years of age. Her father, Lucius Bingham, died in Indiana, in about 1864, and the mother, Mary A. (Eldridge) Bingham, in Kansas, in 1879. Both were natives of New York State, and Mrs. B. was the sister of Edwin Eldridge, owner of Eldridge Park at EImira, N. Y., and who, at his death, bequeathed this to the city.
Mrs. Pollock was finely educated, and was for sometime a teacher of music, in which she possessed great taste and skill. She is in all respects an accomplished lady and an ornament to society. She has been connected with the Presbyterian Church since twelve years of age, in whose doctrines our subject was also reared by a pious and devoted mother. Since coming here, Dr. Pollock has been prominent in local affairs, his intelligent and well-informed mind at once securing him a passport to public favor. He has been President of the Village Board for some time, and is one of the solid Republicans of this locality who has been of great assistance in building up and maintaining the local standing of this party. He is also connected with the A. F. & A. M., having been Master of Blue Lodge, and one of the most earnest workers of the fraternity.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 472. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.