H. C. RICHARDSON, of the firm of Tryner & Richardson, manufacturers and wholesale jobbers of cigars is,
with his partner, transacting a successful and growing business on Front street, Bloomington, occupying Nos. 108
to 110. Mr. Richardson was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., Sept. 19, 1848, his parents being Charles and Chloe
(Gillett) Richardson, natives of the same county and State as their son. They were married in 1847, and the father
of our subject engaged in farming for many years, but is now retired from active labor.
The paternal grandparents were Josiah and Cynthia (Tolman) Richardson, natives of Connecticut and New Hampshire respectively. They settled in Jefferson County, N. Y., before the War of 1812, and engaged in farming pursuits through life. The great-grandfather of our subject, Capt. Tilley Richardson, who was also a native of Massachusetts, likewise removed to Jefferson County, N. Y., and was engaged there in farming until his death.
The Richardson were of solid and substantial character, and made their mark in the community wherever they located. They were possessed of high moral principles, and universally respected. Charles Richardson held various positions of trust in both his native and adopted counties. The parental family consisted of three children: Horace C., our subject; Charles L., of Watertown, N. Y. and Cynthia Z., now Mrs. Morrison, of Watertown, N. Y.
The subject of this history remained at home and engaged in farming until he was twenty-two years old. He completed his studies at the Business College of Watertown [ed., Northern Business College], and after leaving home accepted a position as clerk in a life insurance office at that place, and remained in that position until he came to Bloomington, in October, 1872. Soon afterward he was taken into the firm of Thompson, Andrus & Co., produce and commission merchants, with whom he remained until they closed out their business.
He then became book-keeper for the pork packing house of Tryner, Van Schoick & Co., with whom he remained two and one-half years, and then formed a partnership with Mr. Tryner, in the flour and provision trade, on South Main street. The firm of Tryner & Richardson operated in these commodities for a few years, then closed out and engaged in the manufacture of cigars.
They moved to their present location on East Front street, in February, 1886, where they were enabled to extend their business facilities and accommodate a rapidly increasing trade. This building is three stories in height, with basement, and covers an area of 44x70 feet. They give employment in the busy season to fifty men, and usually have four men on the road. It is hardly necessary to state that the products of their manufacture are unexcelled, and becoming widely known through out the West.
Mr. Richardson was married in May, 1875, to Miss Julia Murray, formerly of Rochester, N. Y., but a resident of Illinois since a young child. They have no children. Their pleasant and attractive home is at No. 501 East Washington street, and their friends and associates include the cultured people of the city. Mr. Richardson for many years has been prominent in the business and social affairs of the city, and has been an encourager and supporter of every measure calculated to advance the intellectual and moral interests of the community. Politically he belongs to the Republican party, and is a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity as High Priest of Bloomington Chapter No. 26, and Eminent Commander of DeMolay Commandery No. 24.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 418. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.