D. G. RYBURN. The subject of this history is one of the successful breeders of fine stock in Randolph Township.
His homestead is located on section 2, and embraces 200 acres, and is watered with an ever-flowing mineral spring.
The farm residence and out-buildings are substantial. Mr. Ryburn makes a specialty of thoroughbred Short-horn cattle,
in which he has had an experience of over twenty years. He is a member of the American Short-horn Breeders' Association,
and exhibits the register of 400 calves, many of which have been unexcelled on the best stock farms of the State.
His stock for sixteen successive years, has been on exhibition at about eight different fairs per year, and at
each fair they have carried off their share of the blue ribbons. His success in this direction has been phenomenal,
and his cattle have been disposed of at large prices in five different States.
The head of his herd, "Matchless Prince" No. 4657, was recently sold at a large price, and "Geneva," which has recently come into his possession, possesses all the qualities of the highest grade. He was reared by Col. J. W. Judy, of Menard County, Ill., and is only about eighteen months old. Mr. Ryburn, with two exceptions, has raised all the animals of his present herd, and those which he has sold have commanded the best market prices. Mr. Ryburn established his business in 1866, in connection with his brother, with whom he operated for eight years.
The subject of our sketch was born in Harrison County, Ohio, Jan. 30, 1843. His father, James Ryburn, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania, was a farmer by occupation. After his marriage there and the birth of several children, he removed with his wife to Harrison County, Ohio. His wife, before her marriage, was Miss Mary Bigley, who was also born and reared in the Keystone State. The families are both of Scotch descent. All came West in 1853, and settled in Randolph Township, this county. Our subject was the youngest but one of a family of eleven children, eight sons and three daughters. The parents both died in Randolph Township, the father in 1857, and the mother in 1881. In former years the father was possessed of a good property, but met with misfortune before leaving the State of Ohio. This compelled the boys to look out for themselves, and to begin at the foot of the ladder. They, however, had been trained to habits of industry, and all have secured a good amount of property.
After the death of his parents, our subject lived with his older brothers until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he enlisted in the Union Army, in May, 1862, joining the three-months' men, Co. G, 68th Ill. Vol. Inf., Capt. Moore. After his first term of service had expired, he re-enlisted in the three years' service, becoming this time a member of Co. B, 94th Ill. Vol. Inf. He was with the army of the southwest, and participated in several active engagements, being at Ft. Morgan and Mobile. In July, 1865, he was transferred to the 37th Illinois Infantry, and afterward discharged from this regiment at Springfield, Ill., after having been in service four years. He then returned to Randolph Township, and began the business which he has since followed.
Mr. Ryburn was married at the home of the bride's parents in Randolph Township, to Miss Iris Karr. She was born in Randolph Township, March 6, 1852, and is the daughter of William Karr, one of its earliest settlers and most extensive landholders. She was reared and educated in this township, and remained under the parental roof until her marriage with our subject. Mrs. Ryburn has been connected with the Presbyterian Church since fourteen years of age. Our subject, in politics, is a stanch adherent of the Republican party, with which he uniformly casts his vote.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 434. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.