Genealogy Trails History Group Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

McLean County, Illinois
History and Genealogy


line

Schools of McLean County
line

Maple School
Lawndale Township
(Transcribed by: Teri Moncelle Colglazier)

Maple School district was created in 1866 when the part that became Buckeye was cut off. The old school building was left, and was moved to the northeast corner of Section 11. In 1871 a new building was built across the road. There are many beautiful maple trees on the grounds, and from this the school probably got its name. After the consolidation, this school house was remodeled for a home. [History of Lawndale, Martin, And Anchor Townships And The Villages Of Colfax And Anchor - McLean County, Illinois - A Project Of The Bi-Centennial Committee Muriel Martens Hoffman Historian - April 1976]

Lawndale School
Lawndale Township
McLean County, Illinois

(Transcribed by: Teri Moncelle Colglazier)

The Lawndale School served an area of nine sections in the northwest part of the township. The township was divided into 4 districts that year, and a school was to be built in each within a year. A rough frame building was erected on the SW 1/4 of section 8. When the township was divided into 6 districts in 1866 and the district was made smaller, the school house was moved 1/2 mile west and 1/4 mile north, to the center of the new district. In 1876 the district was again made smaller and a new building was erected 3/4 mile farther north. The Lawndale School had served as a church and Sunday School meeting place for many years. On the night of May 16, 1880 the school was set afire and burned. The school was replaced immediately by a building that cost $691.10. [History of Lawndale, Martin, And Anchor Townships And The Villages Of Colfax And Anchor - McLean County, Illinois - A Project Of The Bi-Centennial Committee Muriel Martens Hoffman Historian - April 1976]

Evergreen School History
Lawndale Township
Transcription by: Teri Moncelle Colglazier)

The first school in the area was a log school house built by the Henlines near Henline Creek near a spring. About 1856, a frame schoolhouse was built about a quarter of a mile west of the first location. Shelton Smith was the first teacher in this new building. It became known as the Evergreen School because of its nearness to the Evergreen Church and Cemetery. In 1868 it was moved a quarter mile east to the corner. In 1891 Evergreen School had 55 pupils. Jesse Smith was the teacher. That building was replaced by a new one in 1907. [History of Lawndale, Martin, And Anchor Townships And The Villages Of Colfax And Anchor - McLean County, Illinois - A Project Of The Bi-Centennial Committee Muriel Martens Hoffman Historian - April 1976]


About 1830 a log schoolhouse was built near Henline Creek on the south side of the road near the spring. Legend relates that some Indian children attended there, for they were still living in that neighborhood when the Henline Fort was built during the Blackhawk War in 1832. The log house, or houses, served the community for school and church purposes until 1856 when a frame house was built one-quarter mile west of the recent location. Shelton Smith served as first teacher in the frame building, which was moved a quarter mile east to the corner in 1868. This building was replaced by a new house in 1907. After remodeling the building was maintained in excellent condition. Because it was near Evergreen Church and Cemetery, it was known as Evergreen School. The district became a part of the Colfax Unit in 1948.
[The Story Of McLean County and Its Schools - by: William B. Brigham 1951]

Buckeye School History
Lawndale Township
(Transcribed by: Teri Moncelle Colglazier)

In the far northeast corner of Lawndale Township Section 1, 2, and 3 were organized into a school district in 1860. A school was located in the northeast corner of SE 1/4 of Sec. 3. In 1862 a site was purchased. This was on the present Colfax-Weston blacktop, about a 1/2 mile north of the Lexington Toad intersection. In 1866, when the township was divided into 6 districts, a new site a mile west, and a quarter mile south of the old school was selected. Here Buckeye School was built in 1866. It probably got its name for many settlers in this area were from Ohio, the Buckeye state., [History of Lawndale, Martin, And Anchor Townships And The Villages Of Colfax And Anchor - McLean County, Illinois - A Project Of The Bi-Centennial Committee Muriel Martens Hoffman Historian - April 1976]

Wilson School History
Lawndale Township
(Transcribed by: Teri Moncelle Colglazier)

In 1866 when the 4 districts were created, a school for the southeastern corner of the township was built on James Wilsonís land, Section 25. This was a temporary building and in 1874 a new building was erected across the road. This new structure was destroyed by fire in 1912 and another frame building was constructed. It had always been known as the Wilson School. After the merger of the schools in 1948, this building was remodeled into a home by Lee Bowman for his family. [History of Lawndale, Martin, And Anchor Townships And The Villages Of Colfax And Anchor - McLean County, Illinois - A Project Of The Bi-Centennial Committee Muriel Martens Hoffman Historian - April 1976]


BACK -- HOME

Always Updating, Always Free at Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails