E. W. TILLOTSON, of the firm of Tillotson & Fell, engaged in the real-estate and insurance business, also
examiners of abstracts and titles, with their office at the northwest corner of the court-house, Bloomington, is
a native of Delaware County, N. Y. Mr. Tillotson was born Feb. 28, 1847, and is the son of Napoleon and Annie (Quackenbush)
Tillotson, natives of New York. There the father was extensively engaged in farming, and followed that calling
with success until his death, which event occurred in 1850. Six children were born of the parental union: Julia,
who became the wife of L. A. Bodine, and lives in Wellsburg, Pa.; Lucy, now Mrs. Lloyd, of Blossburg, Pa.; Mary,
Mrs. Drake, of Almira, N. Y.; James K., residing at Toledo, Ohio; E. W., our subject, and Almira, who became Mrs.
Dr. Gammond, and is residing at Corning, N, Y. The mother survives her husband, and is yet residing in Blossburg,
E. W. Tillotson followed the labor common to a farmerís son on his fatherís farm until he was seventeen years old, receiving his primary education in the common schools. In 1864 he went to Chicago, and for three years occupied his time in the insurance business. He then accepted the position of State Agent for the North American Life Insurance Company for Iowa, and moving to Burlington, that State, he made it his home until 1870.
Mr. Tillotson was united in marriage with Miss Cecelia N. Copp, Oct. 14, 1870. She was a daughter of Nathaniel and Fanny (Foster) Copp, and a native of Fredonia, N. Y. Her father, during his younger years, was engaged in mercantile pursuits, but later in life occupied his time in locating and developing mines in Nevada, and died in San Francisco in 1880. He had a family of nine children, four of whom are living; Fleta, Mrs. Stahl, of Bloomington; Andrew J., a manufacturer of furniture at Chicago; Cecelia N., Mrs. Tillotson, and Frank P., a wholesale grocer of San Francisco, Cal.
After the marriage of our subject he returned to Chicago and accepted the position as General Agent for the Western States of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of Chicago, and held that position for one year. In 1871 he moved to Bloomington, this State, and purchased the insurance business of T. J. Bunn, and in 1874 obtained the financial agency of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company of Springfield, Mass. During the year 1875, Mr. M. C. Wait became associated with our subject as an equal partner, and the firm name became Tillotson & Wait. This relationship continued until March 1, 1879, when Mr. H. C. Fell purchased Mr. Waitís interest, and the firm name was changed to Tillotson & Fell. The new firm purchased the abstract books of Mr. Larrimore, and in 1880 the firm became agents for Schroderís Opera House, and in 1882 took charge of the Durley Theater, which they still conduct.
In addition to the other branches of business enumerated Mr. Tillotson is engaged in the raising of fine trotting stock, and is owner of Ripton, 2977 of Hambletonian stock. He had the management of the McLean Fair [ed, McLean County Fair] grounds during the year 1886. His residence is on Franklin avenue, at the corner of Second street and Normal avenue. In politics he is Republican, and in religion Presbyterian, and is in all respects one of the foremost citizens of McLean County.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 481. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.