H. W. ULBRICH, manufacturer of harness and saddlery, is located at No. 512 North Main street, Bloomington, where
he has built up a good trade, and established himself as one of the first business men of the city. Our subject
was born in the Kingdom of Prussia, on the 26th of June, 1845, and is the son of Frank and Theresa (Kaps) Ulbrich,
natives of the same country as their son. The father was a cabinet-maker by trade, and emigrated to America in
1853, landing on our shores on the 25th of June. He located in Chicago, and worked at his trade there for twelve
years, since which time he has lived with his son, our subject, in Bloomington. The mother died in Chicago, in
1879. Their family consisted of four sons, only two of whom are living, our subject and his brother August; the
latter is a furniture finisher and a resident of Chicago.
Mr. Ulbrich lived in the city of Chicago from the time he was eight years of age, and came to Bloomington in 1882. He attended school until twelve years old, and then went to work in a brickyard. He was thus occupied for a year, and thence went into a shingle-mill for eighteen months, then made brushes for six months, and subsequently worked in a furniture factory for twelve months. He was then employed in a sash and door factory for fifteen months, and then served an apprenticeship with his brother, Joseph F., in the harness business. In 1864 he went to Louisville, Ky., where he worked in the harness-shops of the Government for ten months. The war being then in progress he established a sutlerís stand, and after one monthís experience at this was quite satisfied with army life, and returning to Chicago purchased the harness-shop of his brother, which he operated for ten months, in the meantime employing three workmen. He then went to Milwaukee and worked at his trade for two months, thence to Portage City for two months, and from there to Chicago again, where he engaged at his trade for fifteen months, and then went into business, which he continued until 1882, employing six hands. In that year he came to Bloomington, and has since been carrying on his business successfully and employing two workmen.
Mr. Ulbrich was married in 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Schnur, who was born in New York City, of German parentage. They were the parents of seven children: Henry A. and Frank are in the office with their father, and the others at home are Annie, William, Alphonso, Anthony and Aloysius. They are comfortably located in a pleasant residence at No. 530 West Grove street, the property of our subject; he also has two lots on West Fourteenth street, Chicago, and four lots in the suburbs of Des Plaines. Mr. U. belongs to the Democratic party, and with his wife and children is connected with the German Catholic Church. He is highly esteemed by his fellow-townsmen, and is in all respects a representative German citizen, possessed of the honesty and industry characteristic of his race.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 478. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.