HUGH K. VICKROY, a highly respected resident of Normal Township, is engaged in the growing of small fruits,
and as a breeder of Holstein-Friesian cattle. He has been a resident of the Prairie State since 1856, coming here
when a boy fourteen years old from his native State of Pennsylvania, where he was born in Westmoreland County,
on the 24th of October, 1841. His parents were Isaac and Marsha (Kennedy) Vickroy, whose family consisted of four
children: Nathan is a fruit-grower at Amboy, this State; our subject was the second in order of birth; John P.
is a resident of Normal; Margaret is the wife of C. F. Lee, of Johnson County, Neb. Mr. Vickroy was reared to farming
pursuits in Pennsylvania, and received a common-school education.
Upon coming to Illinois with his uncle, Hugh McLaughlin, he located in Bureau County, and was variously occupied at whatever he could find to do for two years afterward. He then engaged with Samuel Edwards of Lamoille to learn the nursery business, and remained with him six years. Then, wishing to still further advance his education, he entered Mt. Carroll Seminary, and applied himself closely to study for two years following. The Civil War then being in progress he enlisted as a private in Co. K, 93d Ill. Vol. Inf., and served until the close. He was present at the battles of Jackson, Miss., and Champion Hills, at which latter place nearly one-half of his regiment was cut down. Later he participated in the siege of Vicksburg and numerous skirmishes, the only injury which he received being on account of a railroad accident by which he suffered the fracture of his leg. He received his honorable discharge at Chicago, and, returning to Bureau County, Ill., received the appointment of Inspector of Spirits, and remained at Peoria during the winter of 1865-66. He afterward took a course of study at Eastman Commercial College in Chicago, whence he graduated in 1867, and after this resumed work for Mr. Edwards, with whom he remained a year, and afterward engaged with his brother-in-law, at Minonk, in the nursery business for some length of time.
The marriage of Mr. Vickroy took place in 1868, at Lamoille, Bureau County, the maiden of his choice being Miss Mary P. Graves, who was born in Massachusetts, but at the time of her marriage resided in Bureau County. Soon afterward our subject and his wife located at Champaign, where Mr. V. was placed in charge of the gardens and orchards of what is now the University of Illinois, and was thus employed until 1874. He then came to Normal and settled upon the place which he now occupies. He at first purchased ten acres, located in the north part of the city, for which he paid $4,500, and has since embellished the same with a fine residence, erected at a cost of $5,000, besides other improvements which have added greatly to its beauty and value. Mr. Vickroy subsequent added to his acreage, and now has in all seventy acres, which is mainly devoted to the growing of small fruits, and to which he gives his entire attention. Every dollar he possesses he accumulated by his own industrious efforts and good judgment.
He lived economically, was careful to meet his obligations promptly, and by this means has gained the reputation of an honest man and a good citizen. In politics he uniformly casts his vote with the Republican party, although otherwise taking no active part. Socially he is a member in good standing of the Masonic fraternity.
Mr. and Mrs. Vickroy have become the parents of two children, a son and daughter -- H. Edwards and M. E. Louise. Mrs. V. is a careful and praiseworthy wife and mother, and an earnest member of the Baptist Church.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 271. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.