JAMES A. WELCH, one of the most progressive and skillful farmers of Randolph Township, owns and occupies a fine
homestead on section 12, which comprises 227 acres of valuable land, under a good state of cultivation. Upon this
he erected a set of shapely and substantial farm buildings, which with their surroundings, form one of the finest
farm estates in this part of McLean County. Most of the land is under the best of cultivation, and is well stocked
with good grades of the domestic animals. Mr. Welch took possession of this farm in 1871, which he has since made
his home. Besides this he owns eighty acres in West Township.
The subject of this history was born in Downs Township, Jan. 6, 1849, and is the eldest son of Henry Welch, deceased. The latter was a large land-owner and very successful farmer of McLean County. James A. was educated in the public schools of this county, and lived at home until his marriage with Miss Myrtilla J. Bishop, which was celebrated at the home of the bride's parents in Randolph Township, on the 23d of November, 1871. Mrs. Welch is the daughter of James and Mary Bishop, her father being an extensive farmer of Randolph Township. She was born on the homestead, Sept. 29, 1852, educated in the common schools, and remained under the home roof until her marriage. Of her union with our subject there have been born four children—Henry A., Florence B., Mary M. and Nellie J., all at home, stout, hearty and full of life. Mrs. Welch is prominently connected with the United Brethren Church [ed., Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA], and politically our subject uniformly casts his vote with the Republican party.
Portrait and biographical album of McLean County, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Illinois, and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), 415. Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards.