Illinois State Register
THE LINCOLN HOMESTEAD, REAR ELEVATION, AS OF 1900--- There are many pictures of the Lincoln Homestead at Eighth and Jackson, taken at various periods, but not so many showing the rear elevation, as architects would call it. Here is one of the latter, on a bright morning in October, 1900… Aside from a rather commodious side porch, then partially screened, the rear elevation follows the conventional pattern of most of the frame dwellings of the Lincoln era. The two-story part in the rear is "original", but the one story where the kitchen is now located was added by tenants before the property was acquired by the State of Illinois, we are told… The house at right, north of the Homestead, was built after the Lincoln era and was occupied for a long period by the H. Cook Irwin family. It was razed in 1923…Originally, the back yard was enclosed by a high board fence, and here, we may be sure, the Lincoln boys and the neighbor kids had many a round of fun. About ten years ago, the side fence on Jackson Street was extended to the alley.
Submitted by:Jeanie Lowe