Petersburg Observer, June 28, 1913

Death By Carbolic Acid
Thomas Naylor Ends Life When Despondent Over Poor Health.
Coroner Moulton Called to Athens Where Inquest Was Held on Saturday Afternoon.

“We, the undersigned jurors, sworn to inquire of the death of Thomas Naylor on oath do find that he came to his death by taking carbolic acid with suicidal intents, Saturday, June 21, 1913.
W. E. Wilkins, Foreman.
J. A. Hurt
William Hedrick
Frank Null
J. S. Lang
Albert Campbell

On Saturday Dr. H. P. Moulton, county coroner, held an inquest at the City Hall in Athens on the body of Thomas Naylor at which time the jury arrived at the above verdict. The following testimony was given:
J. A. Courtwright, residence Athens, being duly sworn testified: “Was sitting in front of city hall about 3:00 p m., saw Thomas Naylor go down street apparently to drug store and from there he went to livery barn. About five or ten minutes later he came and wanted to lie down. I ran across for Dr. O. P. Brittin; then went back to city hall. I then went to tell his wife and came back immediately and apparently he was dying. He lived only a few minutes. He said before he died that he had taken carbolic acid.”

Dr. O. P. Brittin, residence Athens, testified: “About 3:15 p. m. today I was sent for to go to the city hall to see Thomas Naylor. On arriving he was sitting on the table. I asked him what he had taken and he said he had taken ten cents’ worth of carbolic acid. He lived probably ten minutes after I saw him”.

T. L. Cantrall, residence Athens, testified “Probably about 3 p. m. I was sitting in store. Thomas Naylor came in talked a few minutes and then said ‘Give me ten cents’ worth of carbolic acid I want it for a horse with a sore shoulder.’ He then went out and in a few minutes I heard some one say that Tom Naylor had taken carbolic acid. I immediately went to city hall with some alcohol which Dr. Brittin called for me to bring. He lived about ten minutes after I got to city hall.”

Mr. J. T. Barger testified and corroborated the evidence given by J. A. Courtright.

The decedent has been in poor health for some time and he feared he was a victim of tuberculosis. Brooding over this his mind doubtless became shattered which led him to commit the rash deed.

Thomas Naylor was a teamster employed in and about Athens and was about 32 years of age. He leaves a wife and four children.

Contributed by Matthew Ferricks