WILLIAM JAMES LAWSON|
Petersburg Observer, January 1947
DR. W. J. LAWSON DEAD OF HEART ATTACK: WAS 77
He came to Petersburg more than 50 years ago from Canada, where he graduated from the University of Toronto at Guelph, Ontario and was one of the best known Veterinarians in this part of the state. Active in civic and political affairs, he served on the City Council and the Menard County Board. He was member, for many years, of the Central Presbyterian Church and Served the church as an elder. He was a charter member of the Petersburg Rotary Club and a past President of that organization. He was a member of Clinton Lodge A. F. & A. M., DeWitt Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, and of St. Aldemar Commandery Knights Templar, and a Past Commander of the Latter-named organization. He served also on the County Board of the Red Cross and had served as a member of the Public Library Board.
He was born in Cherrywood, Ontario on Jan. 26, 1871,(NOTE: newspaper error) the son of James and Isabel Lawson, his parents being natives of Scotland. He was married here on November 28, 1892 to Miss Allie Conover of this city and to them were born two children, Dr. Lawrence Lawson of Kenilworth, and Helen, wife of Dr. T. F. Carter of this city. Surviving are his wife, two children, two grandsons, Lawrence Lawson, Jr. of Kenilworth and William Carter of this city, and two grand daughters, Joan and Margaret Lawson of Kenilworth: and one brother, Alex Lawson of Cherrywood, Ontario.
Funeral services were held at the Central Presbyterian church at 10:30 Monday morning, Jan. 27, conducted by Rev. D. D. Boyd and burial was in Rose Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were Gerald Brown, J. Colby Beakman, Paul R. Smoot, Edw. H. Goldon, Garret Tolan and Clarence Tozer. Music was by Mrs Harold Ackerman and Mrs. D. C. Boyd.
Transcribed by:Will Carter