Text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"|
From the Menard County Atlas of 1874 , we learn Kirby School was in existence at that time. The first building was built of logs. The second, a brick structure, was built just east of the old building on land donated by George Kirby. Pioneer family names were Kirby, Bonnett, Spurgin, Senter, Harns and Atkins. At one time Kirby School had the most active community programs in the county. People gathered from miles around for these socials.
Pupils attended here until 1946-1947. The school was then used to house school buses and later torn down. This area is now part of Petersburg Unit System.