Kay Watkins School in 2004, submitted by Jeanie Lowe
Photo & text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"
The Menard County Atlas of 1874 indicates the Kay Watkins School was in existence then. Records show on May 4, 1898, Ryal and Martha Armstrong sold the school trustees one-half acre of land for $20. This school served the community until the close of the 1946-47 school year. Some early teachers were O.L. Duncan, W.W. King, H.B. Kirk, Fred Smith, and Sarah Anderson. Later teachers were Marie Schonewis, Margaret Skaggs,and Mildred Kramer. Pioneer family names were Watkins, Randall, Boeker, Lukins, Potter, Prunm and Bissell. The building is now being renovated to be used to house Hamblin Feed Service.