Photo & text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"
Lynn School, District No. 1. was first a log building a quarter mile northwest of the present site where the town, Elizabethtown, was laid out but never built.
The second Lynn School was located 200 yards south of the former Timothy Lynn residence. It was used until 1892 when the primary room of the present building was erected. The number of pupils increased making another room for the advanced pupils necessary in 1908.
According to County Superintendents of Schools records Lynn School was a model school, advanced for its time. It was well equipped and steam heated. In 1914 two teachers were employed, each receiving $65 per month, one of the highest paying schools in Cass County. At one time, more than sixty pupils were enrolled.
A 1925 column in the "Illinois State Journal" by the late John E. Vaughn, praised the Lynn community for their outstanding interest in and support of their school.
Some teachers were Walter and Evan Garner, Ewell and Letitia Gerdes, Louise Vaughn, and Dorothy Weers taught in 1946-1947 the last year the school was in session before sending the pupils to Oakford School.