Oakford School in 2004, submitted by Jeanie Lowe
Photos & text below from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"
Prior to the founding of Oakford in 1872 the community school house was l located a quarter mile southwest of the present town of Oakford, near the location of Deer Lick Tavern. In 1879-1880 the residents of Oakford erected the above two-story structure which served as the place of learning until shortly after 1900. Two more rooms were then added, and two years of high school was introduced.
The above picture was taken after two more rooms had been added to the original structure. After the addition was completed two years of high school was installed with Elmer Hameline as the instructor for the next three years. This continued as Oakford's school until 1926 when the structure was destroyed by fire. The man in the picture is Ralph Garrett the sixth grade teacher.