Text from the 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford"|
Shipley School was named for the owner of the farm, Reason Shipley, on whose property the first log school house was erected in the 1830s. Some of the early teachers were James Grant, Mentor Graham, and Ann Rutledge's brother David.
In 1853 one and 1/160th acres were deeded to the school trustees. A one room frame building was built Before the district was abosrbed into the Petersburg Unit School System, an oil furnace was installed in the basement plus facilities for hot lunches. At present the building is a family dwelling.