Montgomery County Churches
Taken from the Hillsboro History by Dorothy Bliss © 1989
Submitted by Debbie Quinn
On July 28, 1843, the Rev. A. C. Allen met with some of the members of the Presbyterian Church of Hillsboro at the home of William P. Brown and organized them into a society called the Waveland Presbyterian Church. This church was to serve families who had come in 1836 from New Hope, North Carolina, and settled six miles southwest of Hillsboro.
The following persons constituted the society:
The church was, for many years, an outpost of Hillsboro Presbyterian Church, and was supplied by ministers of that church; Waveland services were held in the afternoons. Lacking their own house of worship, Waveland parishioners held services in private homes and in shady groves in the summertime.
On October 5, 1847, the church obtained as a gift from John Brown and his brother Major William Brown a deed for six acres of land on which the congregation built a plain log house of worship made of the trees cut from the original site. This building was finished in 1848.
BACK / HOME
© Genealogy Trails