Visit Illinois State Site


line
Montgomery County History
line

The first white settlement in the present Montgomery County was made on the Hurricane Creek in the southeastern part of the county during the fall of 1816 or the very early spring of 1817, by a colony formed of Joseph Williams, Henry Piatt, William McDavid, John and Henry Hill, Jesse Johnson, Henry Sears, Aaron Case, Harris Reavis, Joseph and Charles Wright, Easton Whitten, John Kirkpatrick, Henry Rowe, John Russell, David Bradford, E Gwinn. This colony came from Kentucky to Illinois

The first church of the county was the Old Hurricane Baptist Church. The old record shows the first entry after the church was organized was March 19, 1820, when James Street and wife, John Norton and wife, and others united with the church by letter, Joseph Wright was the first clerk of the Hurricane Church and James Street was the first pastor, Henry Sears was received into the Church August 21, 1823 and was ordained a bishop in the church. The church building now standing was built about 1862
[Source : FHL Film Number 0848591, Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]



Township Histories from
"ILLUSTRATED ATLAS MAP, MONTGOMERY COUNTY, ILLINOIS", 1874

History of Bois D'Arc Twp West
History of Bois D'Arc Twp, East
History of Butler Grove Twp
History of East Fork Twp
History of Fillmore Twp
History of Hillsboro Township
History of Irving Twp
History of Nokomis Twp
History of North Audubon Twp
History of North Litchfield Twp
History of Raymond Twp
History of Rountree Twp
History of South Audubon Twp
History of South Litchfield Twp
History of Walshville Twp
History of Zanesville Twp



Index to Centennial History Books

History of Montgomery County Churches

"Winter of the Deep Snow" - 1830-31

Litchfield Grocers in 1928

Lake Yaeger Dedication Program

Elected County Commissioners
Supplemented with family research data



HOME


© Genealogy Trails