Visit Illinois State Site

Montgomery County
Community News Items


Staunton High Won Foot Ball Game
32 to 0 - players mentioned: Bandy, Davis, Bishop, Bartman, and Van Doren for Litchfield
[Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, November 27, 1914 - Lynn Boyd Reener]

Staunton Postmaster Donates
Donations for the "Witt sufferers" - James P Kellett, Gillespie, $2; M M Crossett, Litchfield, $1; Mrs Sarah Bergman, Litchfield, $1; Bernard Uhlenhop, Litchfield, $1; and George Luker, Staunton, $10.

[Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, November 27, 1914 - Lynn Boyd Reener]

Tuberculosis, Its Cause and Prevention
Dr Geo A Sihler Jr will address the congregation at the Presbyterian church Sunday morning on the subject of "Tuberculosis"...
[Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, November 27, 1914 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Will Quit Business
After being engaged in the butcher business in Litchfield for the past 32 years, I have decided to quit. If was born and raised in Litchfield and have sold meat for the past 32 years, always giving 16 ounces to the pound. Now that there are so many meat markets in connection with grocery stores, the price of meat so high, the profits so small, I will retire and close my shop. I wish to thank my old patrons and friends.
Herman Windway

[Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, November 27, 1914 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

New Record Is Made
The Livingston Coal mine at Livingston has mad a new record in one days coal hoisting. On Saturday, November 14, there was hoisted at the mine 4826.45 tons of coal. This is the largest hoist made by any mine in the southern part of the state for a long time. [
Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, November 27, 1914 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

St Mary's Fair Closes
St Mary's Fair and Fall were as follows:
$10 gold piece, Kate Houlihan
Gentleman's gold watch, Josephine Holland
Lady's set ring, Mrs S A Lang
Load of coal, Mary Sullivan
Boy's suit, John Macrewski
Ladies bracelet, J J Murray
Manicure set, Frank Crane
Umbrella, Mary Bellm
Sweater, Mrs Lena Baker
50 lbs Flour, Margaret Crane
16 lb Sugar, Earl Finley
Can of Coffee, Geo Stoddard
Casserole, John O'Brien
Lavatory, M Morrison
Judges for the drawing were E E Burson, C F Bartlilng, and M M Crossett

Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, November 27, 1914 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener

City of Litchfield, Patrons List, Pg 29 - J Clearwater, PO Litchfield, business: physician and surgeon, nativity: Highland Co Ohio, Came to county in 1861
Business Notices, Litchfield, Pg 59 - Dr J Clearwater, Eclectic Physician, No 3 Masonic Block, Litchfield, IL, is prepared to prosecute his professional services as heretofore, with additional tact from experience in his profession; having practiced in the city for twenty years and in DeWitt and McLean Counties the preceding eight years - The liberal patronage received in former years, the undersigned solicits, by strict attention to the duties of his profession to receive a portion of patronage according to merit. - Treatment of Dyspepsia a specialty, as also disease of Alimentary Canal having their origin in the stomach from indigestion.
[source: "Illustrated Atlas Map of Montgomery County, Illinois", 1874]

Litchfield Daily Union, Tuesday, January 12, 1926:

[submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Toll Operator Takes Leave of Absence
Mrs Mabel Kranich, toll operator at IL Consolidated Telephone Co will take a 30 day leave to assist her mother who is in feeble health. Miss Florence Wandling will be promoted to toll operator and Miss Ruby Kessinger, formerly of Donnellson will train on the local board.
[Litchfield Daily Union, Wednesday, April 13, 1927 - submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Wagner Back In Business
Dick Wagner formerly conducted Dick's Café and later worked at the Elks has returned to open the Utopia Café on West Ryder.
[Litchfield Daily Union, Monday, April 25, 1927 - submitted by: Lynn Boyd Reener]

Mr W H Barker, principal of the Hillsboro Community High School has resigned his position.
[Litchfield Daily Union, Tuesday, April 26, 1927 submitted by: Lynn Boyd Reener]

Litchfield Daily Union, 28 April 1927:

Rosenfeld's Will Close Saturday Night

The Rosenfeld's Store managed by Joe Gomberg will close on Saturday night and on Monday the Wolff Department Stores will take charge.

Charles Fox Gets the Contract…for concrete work at Walton Park…

Owens Has the Contract
W D Owens has the contract for the repairing of the roof on the old pump house at Walton Park.

Closed Until Further Notice
The Three Flowers Beauty Shop, located at 114 W Sargent Street will be closed, beginning today, until further notice. Mrs Alta Weatherford

Community Band is Organized
Prof. Mancell, Leader -- 26 years experience as a band leader, the greater part of which was in the army. He graduated from the Army Music School at Chaument France and also Governors Island Institute of Musical Art.
Maynard Govaia, Secretary - Duane Murphy, Treas - Donald Weatherford, Librarian
The personnel of the band is as follows ---
Glen Brubaker - Mac Brubaker - Allen Brubaker - Maynard Govaia - C E Henson - Leon S Gimmy - Charles Griffin - Howard Christen - Lee Sanders - Paul Uhelenhop --Oscar Blatter - Don Boyd -
Herman Ferris - Duane Murphy - Al Brown - Don Weatherford - Murle Wuench - Dick Wagner - Frank Warren - Geo Hess Jr - Russel Powers - Jno Brandle - H D Mancell

[submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, April 29, 1927
Farmersville Teachers Selected
Re-employed were: Leo R Bostic, 7th and 8th Grade, $150; Miss Nellie Douglas, 4th 5th and 6th Grades, $110 a month; Miss Cieora Fitzpatrick, primary grades, $135 a month.

Examining Teeth of School Children
Miss Hattie Sitton the school nurse is having the teeth of the children of the grade schools examined….

Austin & Shrader Brothers Buy the Bishop Furniture Stock
Have Moved It to Their Store Across the Street---Will Have Sale
The Bishop Furniture stock has been sold by the trustee J Roy Miller to Austin & Shrader Brothers. The employees of the Austin & Shrader Brothers store worked the greater part of the night in moving some of the stock to the Austin & Shrader Brothers store. The Bishop stock is all clean, new and serviceable. Austin & Shrader Brothers will put on a big sale of the Bishop stock. There will be some real bargains.
[submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Litchfield Daily Union, Monday, Jun 6, 1927

Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, Jun 30 1927

Litchfield Daily Union, Friday, July 1, 1927

Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener

Litchfield Daily Union, Thurs, July 2, 1927
Headline: At The Churches Here On Sunday
Places of Worship Are Many---You Are Welcome
Churches listed with minister, if given:
English Lutheran Church - Rev H Allen Leader, Pastor
Universalist Church
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - J L Strelow, Pastor (MO Synod)
A.M.E. Church - D A Basfield
First Baptist Church - R J Anderson, Pastor
St Mary's Church - Rev Father P F Carroll, Pastor
St Aloysius Church - Rev Father J A Stengel, Pastor
Christian Science
Union Avenue Christian Church - Rev Wm A Askew, Pastor
First Presbyterian Church - N C Griffin, Minister
Gospel Mission Services
Methodist Episcopal Church - Rev C C Cullison

Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener

Litchfield Daily Union, Thurs, July 7, 1927

Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener

Litchfield Rotarians Install Their Officers
Dr G A Sihler Jr is now president of this organization. Harry Gorin was installing officer. Officers: George Sihler Jr, president; John A Pappmeier, treasurer; Herbert Herrick, treasurer; Kenyon Montgomery, secretary; Arthur Hoog, sergeant-at-arms. Board of Directors: George Sihler Jr, Harry Gorin, Irving Yaeger, John Pappmeier, Frank Cox, Glenn Brubaker, Chas Grafton, Harry Butler, Arthur Hoog.
Classification - Harry Gorin, Dewey Golden, Al Blevins
Business Methods - Pearl Blackwelder, Herbert Herrick, Roy Miller, Mara Milnor, Leo Schalk
Education in Rotary - Frank Cox, Gus Alexander, John Bitters
Boys Work - Glenn Brubaker, Lee Allen, Harold Morgan, Noble Griffin
Fellowship - Irving Yaeger, Wallace Yoder, Paul McWilliams
Correspondent to Rotarian - Kenyon Montgomery
Rural Relations - John Pappmeier, Charles Hauser, Harry Butler, Ed Shrader
Program - Jas McDonald, Harold Sihler, Chas Grafton, Arthur Hoog
Community Service - Joe Strehle, Hugh Hall, John Hewitt, Harry Stuttle
Publicity - Dick Richards, Kenyon Montgomery, Jas McDonald, Harry Bennett

[Litchfield Daily Union, Wednesday, July 13, 1927 - Submitted by Lynn Reener]

No Action Is Taken by Supervisors
The county board of supervisors yesterday took no action on the repairs on the Walton Park Bridge nor the widening of the road. It was believed that this matter was all settled by county commissioner Baird said last night that he could do nothing without authority from the county board.
Dr T B Hess was reappointed as County TB tester at the salary as last year.

[Litchfield Daily Union, Wednesday, July 13, 1927 - Submitted by Lynn Reener]

The home of Mr and Mrs Charles Sammons on North State Street was struck by lightening yesterday morning during the storm. Some of the weather boarding was torn off but the house was not set on fire. Mr and Mrs Sammons were greatly shocked. [Litchfield Daily Union, Saturday, July 7, 1928 - Submitted by: Lynn Boyd Reener]

Happy Birthday, Litchfield
Montgomery Co News, 19 Nov 1984
The seal of the City of Litchfield is dated Nov 19, 1853. Even though the Litchfield brothers did not come to the county until after 1855, it is believed the name was chosen because they were major stock holders in a syndicate of investors in western lands.
On Nov 19, 1853, P C Huggins, as recorded in the Deed Record of Montgomery Co, swore that he laid out, surveyed and established the town of Litchfield with streets and alleys to forever remain public streets and highways, forever to remain subject to all the regulations of public streets.
The site of Litchfield was bought in the summer of 1853 for $8-10 per acre. In May 1854, the price was $30 per 66-foot front; by 1857 the lots sold for as much as $200 and as low as $17.
On Mar 7, 1859, William E Bacon was elected the first mayor. The city council served with no compensation, but the city clerk received $60 per year. In 1985, the citizens will pay $46,226 to elected city officials. How times have changed.
Montgomery Co News, 19 Nov 1984 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener

When Buffalo Bill Was In Litchfield
A tidbit of Montgomery Co history long forgotten and known only to few historians was recalled by a 4th grade student of Northeast Elementary School in Parker, CO, a suburb of Denver.
Jennie McDonald, a student, whose roots are deep in the Litchfield area, related the 87 year old event in a classroom project in which the members were assigned a writing project to tell a favorite family story passed down by forebears.
Jenny, daughter of Tom and Lola Uhlenhop McDonald, granddaughter of Dorothy Allen McDonald Sinclair and Paul Uhlenhop of Litchfield and niece of Mrs William M White of Hillsboro wrote about the experience of her great grandmother, Lola Sammons Uhlenhop, widow of Henry "Hank" Uhlenhop, when the present 97 year old resident was ten years old. It was an overnight visit to the Sammons home near Litchfield by Buffalo Bill Cody and his wife.
This was Jenny McDonald's version of the family story which was published in the News-Press and reprinted in the News:
"Buffalo Bill was very famous. He was a hunter of the American frontier. He was born in Iowa and moved to Kansas with his family. His father died when he was 11. He was then head of the household.
He was fighting Indians at age 12. He was a rider for the Pony Express at 14. Cody became a scout for the Union Army against the Kiowa and Comanche Indians. Then he joined as a scout in Missouri and a lot of other wars like that. He was such a good hunter, it was believed that he shot 4,000 buffalo in 17 months.
He became famous and started a Wild West Show. He went across the west and the east of Europe.
In 1893, buffalo Bill came to Illinois with his Wild West Show. My great grandmother was 10 years old at the time. Her name was Lola Sammons. Lola's family were farmers. Since there were no hotels in Litchfield, people usually stayed with local families. Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show were performing in Litchfield, they decided to stay with the Sammons family.
While visiting the Sammons, he showed my great grandmother and her brother many of his famous tricks such as shooting, riding, roping and archery. His wife became close to Lola Sammons because she was the only girl around.
Mrs Cody was wearing a beautiful charm bracelet. One of the charms was a heart with an "L" on it. Lola admired her charm bracelet so much that mrs Cody removed the charm with the "L" and gave it to Lola.
During their travels abroad, Buffalo Bill and Mrs Cody wrote to the young Lola telling of their travels. On of Lola's dearest possessions as she grew older was this charm.
Lola is now 97 years old. When her granddaughter, Lola (my mother) was 10 she gave the charm to her and my mother still has it."
[Unknown newspaper article - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

J R Mitchell Recalls Litchfield Mine Days
News Herald, 23 Jun 1981
J R "Rube" Mitchell worked in many mines. Some of them include the North Litchfield Mine, Nokomis No 10, Witt, Girard, Freeburg, South Freeburg, Taylor Springs, and Hewittville (near Taylorville).
He was a lad of 12 when he signed on with another miner to go to work. This was his apprenticeship. Everything was done with mules and an apprentice had to learn everything.
Being a "trapper" was one job. It involved opening and closing a door for miners driving a load.
If another miner was off, you might have to know how to drive the mules.
Young boys teamed up to stop 25 to 30 cars which traveled on an iron track. The boys would jab sticks into the wheels as they went by causing the first cars to swing sideways and eventually stop the rest of the cars.
Work in the mine was dirty, damp, and uncomfortable. In the Litchfield mine he worked on his knees because the coal vein he worked in was only 5 ½ feet deep. Electricity in the mine was unknown.
At 7 am you would go to work. You had your carbide lantern and lunch bucket with your drinking waster and a sandwich. You didn't take off for lunch.
There were no bath houses. You washed in a tub at home at the end of the day to remove the black from your skin. You heated the water for your bath on the cook-stove.
The Litchfield mine had the main air shaft located slightly north of West Chapin St between the Wabash and Burlington railroad tracks. He estimated that the mine ran more than 700 ft in the ground. He worked in the Litchfield mine during 1913 and 1914. Due to cave-ins which prevented the circulation of fresh air, the mine was eventually closed. Between 1922 and 1924 two attempts were made to reopen the mine but they failed because it was too costly.
At the Witt mine there was only pick work. Miners had to lay on their sides and with their pickax work on the vein as far as they could. After they laid wedges in and picked out some more. They were paid by tonnage.
In most of the other mines were called "straight shooting mines", blasting powder was used.
When Rube was a miner, there were no machines. They shoveled coal, shot shots, and drilled their holes by hand. Holes were set off just before quitting time for the next day's work.
Other mining jobs included driving the mules, laying tracks for the cars which moved by cable, setting timbers and crossbars so the roof didn't cave in, inspecting rooms and keeping them going straight with the surveyors marks.
During the summer, they might work one day in three weeks to coal the engines on the Burlington. In the fall, they would work six days a week because people would burn coal for heat during the fall and winter.
The most Rube ever cleared was $100 for two weeks. That was after he paid $2.75 for blasting powder and paid for his fuses. He also got "two shots of Mule" one for him and one for his partner. "Mule" was clear, locally made bootleg whiskey which was suppose to kick out coal dust. Room and board was $5 a week. He had to pay a small fare to ride the train from Litchfield to Taylorville when he worked up there and $.10 for the "dinky" ride to the mine.
The Union Clothing Store was the only store in Litchfield which would give credit to miners.
In the 1920's, the Nokomis Mine #10 was reputed to be the largest coal mine in the world with about 400 miners working there. It closed during the Great Depression leaving many miners to scrape out a living as best they could.
[News Herald, 23 Jun 1981 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Knights of Columbus Council Here Is 77
News Herald, Litchfield, 19 Apr 1982
Litchfield council 699 was instituted in 1904. The first grand knight was Dr P M Kelly. Charter members were Edward J Sweeney, M J Buscher, Isaac Daly, M J McGrath, Richard McElligott, Leo M Kustle, John Moore, W C Goodin, John J Hughes, C M Fox, J A Motherway, Denis burnes, J D Carmody, A L Kane, Wm Gallagher, Charles Michlek, J J Meckles, M Hanrahan, Tom Keating, J A Kniery, John Houlihan, J J Shanahan, E A Egan, John Gretzer, John Holland, Joseph Bartman, J M Gallagher, W Bartman, Michael Crane, John Gorman, C F Weigers, John J Buscher, John Carroll, C B Munday Jr, P M Kelly, C B Munday Sr, William Flynn, A Meckles, E F Sprigg, George Lawler, D M Comerford, William J McGann, W P Caveney, Joseph Welsh, D M Sullivan, John Motherway, Nick Motherway, J Kniery, G F Duane, Michael Murphy, p Butler, Patrick McNamara, C Hoog, Rev P F Carroll, W D Ferrell, Dan Brennan, and H J Sweeney.
Rev P F Carroll, pastor of St Mary's Church was the first chaplain of the council serving 30 years.
[News Herald, 23 Jun 1981 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener -- Note: This article is quite long and lists many other members.)

Nathanson's Mens' Store
Sixty-five years ago the business known as Nathanson's in downtown Litchfield opened its doors. It has catered to big and tall men and to workmen wanting quality work clothes for all these years. Now the daughter of the original owner and her husband, Helen and Max Ash are closing the doors and quitting business…
After the death of David Nathanson, Mrs Ash's father, her mother ran the store later selling it to the young couple.
The Ashs at the time were living in Cincinnati, OH, where Max was working for Crosley Radio Corp, makers of refrigeration systems, radios and televisions and where Helen had first met her husband.
The couple met on a blind date while she was visiting relatives in Cincinnati. They married in 1942 and he went to war, serving in North Africa,Sicily and Italy. Meanwhile she returned to Litchfield where she worked as a stenographer for the late attorney Dwight Kinder and helped her parents at the store in her off hours.
She continued doing both even after she and her husband moved to Litchfield, right up until a month before their son, David, was born. David Ash, 37, is now a pharmacist at St Vincent's hospital in Taylorville.
The Ash family lives above the store and plans to stay in their home. Next door is her mother, Elizabeth Nathanson, who is 93 years old. Helen said, "We had planned to travel but we'll wait now until mom is better." Her mother recently fell and is having difficulty recuperating….
(Note: In Aug 1919, David Nathanson purchased the store. In 1945, Max Ash became an employee. Per the 1953 Centennial Book)
[Paper and year unknown - abt 1984 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

Library to Mark 100 Years of Service
In late 1881, when E Southworth was mayor, he named the first library board. They were Hugh Hughes, N B Fleming, Thomas Charles, S M Grubbs, Georg L Zink, D P Woodman, George W Jones, Dr John D Colt, for Colt School is named, and D W Taylor.
Their first voucher was dated Feb 6, 1882 for a voucher book, costing $8.50. Other vouchers for some $500 went for books and furnishings.
The library was first located upstairs in the cline building, over what was Newberry's. The monthly rent was $10. The 300 books they purchased cost $380 to which were added 100 volumes from a previous attempt to establish a library. A formal opening was held April 27, 1882 with the library open for business the next day.
Miss Mary D Wallace was employed as the first librarian at $10 per month and the library was open three or four nights a week.
By 1889, the library had outgrown its first home, and in August of that year it was moved to the second floor of the First National Bank at State and Kirkham Streets, site of the present bank building.
By the end of 1890, the number of volumes had increased to 2,666 and in 1895 electricity replaced the oil lamps.
By 1903, the need for a building of its own became apparent. A committee consisting of D O Settlemire, chairman; M Morrison; and Eli Miller was appointed by Mayor W J King. W L Wooster, regular board secretary, served as committee secretary. They negotiated a donation of money to build the library, $15,000, with the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The foundation agreed provided that the city give a building site and a minimum of $1,500 yearly for operation.
After 40 years, Mary Wallace retired in 1920 and was succeeded by Miss Anna Davis who served until 1936. Other librarians were Vivian Hill Howard, Veneta Harrod Rhea, Winifred Lemay, and Mrs Nadine [Moomaw] Walker.
The library joined the Lewis and Clark Library System in 1965. [It is now a library district with an elected board of directors.]
The library holds all available years of the News-Herald on microfilm since 1857. They also hold a collection of census records for Montgomery and surrounding counties. During Mrs Walker's term as librarian, the library purchased the Walter Sanders Genealogical Collection of materials regarding early county families and cemetery readings.
Circulation at the library when this article was written was 56,343 books.
(Note: There is a lengthy list of directors and trustees in this article if you have an interest in that information.)
[Paper and year unknown - probably around April 1982 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]

The Litchfield Riot
Jun 16, 1940
Litchfield in 1940 was like many small towns, concerned with maintaining status quo and bursting with patriotism. Just before Memorial Day, the local newspaper reminded all businesses to fly the flag.
It was on the issue of the flag that the values of the Jehovah's Witnesses clashed with the local establishment. Based on their reading of Exodus, the Witnesses refused to salute flags of any nation.
There had been minor incidents during the weeks preceding the riot. On May 25 a group of 12 Witnesses was chased from town by ex-servicemen who objected to the distribution of Witness literature in Library Park. On May 30, three Witnesses were told by Police Chief George Taylor that he could not guarantee their safety should they return. On Jun 1, veterans confronted 12 Witnesses in Hillsboro, forcing them to leave town. On Jun 4, in Moweaqua [Shelby Co], 4 Witnesses were taken to protective custody after a confrontation with angry citizens.
It is not known if the US Supreme Court ruling regarding the case involving the children of Jehovah's Witnesses refusal to salute the flag at school played any part in this event; however, it did in other areas of the country.
When the Witnesses returned to Litchfield on Jun 16, they came in greater numbers. Possibly this was due to the refusal of police who numbered just 5 full-time officers and the chief to guarantee their safety.
Rioters were not the lower element. They were Litchfield's leading citizens. On the edge of downtown, one of the leading insurance men had painted his front porch when they arrived. They walked around the barricades he had set up and knocked on his door. He was incensed and thus the riot was begun and snowballed from there.
As word of the incident circulated, bands of vigilantes took to the streets to confront the groups of Witnesses who were going door to door. One group of vigilantes were reported to have carried small American flags and asked any stranger to salute the flag. If they refused, a fight broke out.
The exact number of rioters ill never be know; but, it was probably not more than 50. Photographs taken at the jail after the Witnesses were in protective custody show a large crowd estimated by the News Herald as nearly 1000; but, those people were mainly onlookers.
After the 65 Witnesses were taken into protective custody, vigilantes too their automobiles to a lot and broke out windshields, ripped out upholstery, slashed the tires, beat in the roofs, and cracked engine blocks, generally ruining anything they could. At least 12 vehicles were destroyed along with bundles of literature.
No one was ever arrested. The city council in a meeting the next day unanimously passed a resolution prohibiting the distribution of any literature that advocated refusing to salute the American flag.
A list of Witnesses and their hometowns was printed in the newspaper. They were fingerprinted and copies were sent to the FBI where J Edgar Hoover had his eye on them.
[The State Journal Register, Springfield IL, 24 Jun 1990 - Submitted by Lynn Boyd Reener]


© Genealogy Trails