Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
Milling Industry - 1896
“A Brief History of Peoria” by Democratic State Central Committee? 1896.
Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Staff
Three large flour mills are in operation here, thus furnishing a ready market for the very fine quality of winter wheat raised in this portion of Central Illinois and giving labor to a large number of millwrights, millers, machinists and coopers. An Oat Meal mill of large capacity also flourishes here, sending its product to all parts of the world.
- Cox, Bruner & Co., are the owners of the Vienna Mills at 160 North Fayette Street. This mill was established about twenty years ago, and the present building was erected about 1867, to replace the old one which had a short time previously been burned. The mill is a fine one, three stories high with basement, and built of brick. Under the old process of milling, its full capacity was about 300 barrels flour per day, but in May last, when the present owners came into possession, machinery for grinding by the new process was put in, and its present capacity is now about 200 barrels per day. It is also supplied with all the latest improvements in the way of reeling, bolting, and purifying. They employ about fifteen hands and two traveling men. The flour is almost all ground to supply custom trade in this State, but a little of it is shipped to Indiana. The mill is at present using from 800 to 1,000 bushels of grain a day, which is ordinarily supplied by the home market.
-The Globe Mills, on Globe Street near Main, are owned by J. W. GIFT, formerly of Eureka, Illinois, are fitted up with all the newest and most approved machinery for milling by the new process, and have a capacity of about 125 barrels per day.
Source: History of Peoria 1880.[Transcribed by: Yvonne! Thanks Yvonne]
Home | Businesses
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.