Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
Transcribed by Candi Horton
Old St. Mary's Cemetery
Old St. Mary's contained 5 and 1/2 acres. It was purchased June 22,1855 from Patrick and Mary HARMON, for $1.00 by Anthony O'Regan, Roman Catholic Bishop of Chicago. It was located between the Rock Island Railway and North Adams St., opposite Tiker, Woodlawn and Spitzznagle Streets.
In July of 1877 it was transferred from the Bishop of Chicago by Thomas FOLEY to John Lancaster SPALDING, the first catholic Bishop of Peoria, who sold it to J.B. Bartholomew. Finally in 1903 the land was sold to Avery Manufacturing Plant. -the location of LaTourneau-Westinghouse Plant - Nov. 1955
The old cemetery was in poor condition, fences were broken down and it is said that cattle wandered over the graves.
It was sold because it was soon apparent that the cemetery was not large enough for the Catholic dead of Peoria.
So in 1882, 40 acres were purchased for the new St. Mary's Cemetery on Sterling Ave.
The bodies in Old St. Mary's were removed to Springdale and the New St. Mary's cemetery.
Graves Moved to Springdale
CASTILO, Daniel April 29, 1890 all in one grave. Moved again Nov. 27, 1934 to the New St. Mary's CASTILO, John LOEFFEL, Anna Reburied all in one grave March 22, 1890 LOEFFEL, Maurice MEEHAN, Anna MEEHAN, Maggie Reburied all in one grave March 19, 1890 MEEHAN, Thomas MURPHY, Ellen MURPHY, Mary MURPHY, Stephen Reburied all in grave April 16, 1894 NICHOLAS, Paul Reburied all in one grave March 22, 1890 NICHOLAS, Richinor
Home | Cemeteries
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.