Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
Peoria Village, from 1825
The beginning of the City of Peoria was almost contemporaneous with that of the county. On the 7th day of January, 1825, the County Commissioners ordered that William Holland be authorized to employ some suitable person to survey into lots the quarter section upon which the county-seat had been located; the lots to be eighty feet wide and one hundred feet in length, including eight feet to be deducted from each lot for an alley, the street on the shore of the lake to be one hundred and ten feet in width and all other streets one hundred feet.
At the September term, 1825, an order was made, upon the petition of William Holland and others, that a town be laid out as the county seat of Peoria County having an eye to the present and future convenience of the citizens. This order provided that the streets should be run to the cardinal points; that a square should be three hundred and sixty feet, containing five lots each of seventy-two feet in front; that there should be a public square containing four square blocks; that Water Street should be one hundred and ten feet wide, commencing on the edge or break of the bank and running back one hundred and ten feet.
At the same term of Court William Holland received an order for $4 in specie, or its equivalent in State Bank paper, for running, or causing to be run, the exterior lines of the town of Peoria and making a plat of the same.
A street was laid out commencing at the quarter-section corner near the intersection of Bridge and Adams Streets, running thence north along the west line of the quarter between the old town and what is now Monson & Sanford's Addition, 31 feet east of the present east line of Franklin Street, to the northwest corner of the quarter located on the premises now occupied by Dr. Miller; also a street along the north line of said quarter to the north- east corner between Adams and Jefferson Streets near Eaton, in the lot recently selected for the Assembly Hall. This exterior street stopped at that point probably in anticipation of a street being laid out on the adjoining fractional quarter-section now known as Mill's Addition, running thence south to the river. All the interior streets were laid out parallel with these streets, the same as in Monson & Sanford's and other additions in the western part of the city.
It seems that prior to the location of the county-seat on that quarter, there had been squatters on the same, who were recognized by the County Commissioners' Court as having some rights which ought to be protected from injury caused by the taking of said quarter section for county purposes. It was, therefore, ordered on the 9th day of March, 1826, that, whenever the said land should be entered by the county, the damages to such persons should be ascertained up to the extent of the cost of their improvements, to be deducted out of the price of any lots they might purchase.
At the May term of the County Commissioners' Court, 1826, a sale of lots was ordered to take place on the loth day of July then next ensuing, the terms of which sale were to be ten per cent cash, the residue on six, twelve and eighteen months' credit. It was also ordered that the town be re-surveyed so that the streets should run parallel with the river, the lots and blocks to remain the same size they had before been surveyed—and William Holland was authorized to employ suitable persons to plat the same under his superintendence.
On the 10th of July, 1826, it was ordered that Joseph Smith be authorized to employ an auctioneer and to furnish whiskey for the sale of lots in the town of Peoria, also that the Clerk deliver the plat to be recorded. On the same day William S. Hamilton presented a plat of a survey of sixteen blocks, including the Court House Square. The survey commenced at the foot of Fayette Street, running thence to Liberty Street, thence to Madison Street, thence to Fayette Street, thence to Water Street. Three other blocks, not divided into lots, were designated on the upper side of Madison Street, and a portion of Monroe Street is shown on, the plat. This plat was recorded as the first and permanent survey of the Town of Peoria.
The street next the river was called Water Street, and those running parallel with it were named after the Presi- dents of the United States in the order of their succession, except the then incumbent of that office, for whom there was no street to name, and, if there had been, it could not have been done without duplication. No record is left of any reason why the other streets were named as they were, but it will readily .appear why Main Street received its name, it being the longest street on the plat except Adams, and the one most eligible for business purposes. Fulton Street may have been named after one of the Fultons who were among the earliest settlers, one of them, Samuel Fulton, being then Sheriff of the County. The name of Liberty Street is wholly arbitrary. Hamilton may have been named after the surveyor, William S. Hamilton, but more probably after his father, the distin- guished Alexander Hamilton. Fayette was doubtless named after the Marquis de LaFayette, who had recently visited this country and whose name was on everybody's lips.
On July 11th, that being the day succeeding the sale, it was ordered that the treasurer pay William Clark $3.00 for crying it.
On July 12th, it was ordered that the treasurer pay William Holland $10.50 for services rendered and cash paid by him in surveying the Town of Peoria, and that William S. Hamilton be paid the sum of $58.75 for his services, in full, for surveying the Town of Peoria, for which he had agreed to take two town lots.
The following are the names of the several persons who appear to have purchased lots at the first public sale, as taken from the Sale Book, to-wit:
Isaac Funk purchased lots No. 6 in Block No. 2, price $100.03; No. 8 in Block No. 2, at $66.50; No. 10 in Block No. 2, $55.00; No. 1 in Block No. 7, $38.00; No. 8 in Block No. 3, at $77.00; and No. 1 in Block No. 3, at $52.00;
Hiram Eads bought Lots No. 5 in Block No. 2, at $52.00, and No. 4 in Block No. 10, at $34,50; John Hamlin, Lots No. 10 in Block No. 3, at $85.00, and No. 9 in Block No. 3, at $52.50;
Samuel Fulton, Lot No. 4 in Block No. 2, at $35.00;
Eli Redman, Lot No. 7 in Block No. 7, at $31.00;
George Sharp, Lot No. 6 in Block No. 7, at $42.00;
Nicholas Hansen, Lots No. 1 in Block No. 6, and No. 2 in Block No. 6, at $85.00;
William Holland, Lot 3 in Block No. 2, at $29.00;
Henry Neely, Lot No. 7 in Block No. 2, at $67.00;
James Latham, Lots No. 7 in Block No. 3, at $79.75, and No. 6 in Block No. 3, at $62.00;
Joseph Ogee, Lots No. 6 and 7 in Block No. i, at $96.25;
William Wright, Lot No. 5 in Block No. 9, at $25.00;
William S. Hamilton, Lots 8 and 9 in Block No. 1, at $58.75 (his fee for survey) ;
Joseph Smith, Lots 1and 2 in Block No. 2, at $51.00;
Hiram Curry, Lot 9 in Block No. 2, at $51.00;
James Scott, Lot No. 5 in Block No. 10, at $50.62;
Rivers Cormack, Lot No. 10 in Block No. 4, at $85.00.
On the 5th day of September, 1826, it was ordered that a second sale of lots be advertised, to take place on the first Monday in November then next.
At the July special term, 1832, it was ordered that there should be a public sale of lots during the sitting of the Circuit Court commencing on Thursday, the loth day of March then next, and it was ordered that the Clerk furnish a copy of the notice of the sale to the editors of the "Vandalia Whig," "Illinois Intelligencer," "The Sangamon Journal" and the "Missouri Republican," of St. Louis, Missouri, for publication.
On July 3, 1832, it was ordered that the public ground in front of Water Street should remain public ground, without being built upon until the Town of Peoria should become incorporated.
On March 7, 1833, it was ordered that there should be a public sale of lots during the next term of the Circuit Court of Peoria County.
On the 5th day of March, 1834, it was ordered that the County Surveyor be authorized to establish the exterior lines of Peoria town-fraction according to the requirements of the law; also to lay off into blocks and lots the residue of said fraction. In pursuance of that order, Charles Ballance, then County Surveyor, made a re-survey of the town-plat and laid off the whole quarter-section into lots and blocks, making all the streets one hundred feet in width. This plat was surveyed on the 7th day of May, 1834, and recorded in the Recorder's office, but the Commissioners acknowledged the same as a true plat of said town only as far as Fayette Street, the residue being reserved for the present.
On the 1st day of July, 1834, Charles Ballance, as County Surveyor of Peoria County, replatted that portion of the said quarter-section lying to the northeast of Fayette Street, making the streets, running from the river towards the bluff, eighty feet wide instead of one hundred feet, as they appeared on the former plat, thus shifting the lots and blocks some distance to the southwest, and obtaining a tract of ground in the northeast corner of the quarter- section, which was designated as part of "State Square."
On the 1st day of March, 1831, the Legislature passed an act for the incorporation of towns and cities, but no actual organization of the Village of Peoria took place under it until the 18th day of July, 1835, Dr. Rudolphus Rouse, Chester Hamlin, Rufus P. Burlingame, Charles W. McClallen and Isaac Evans having been, on the 11th of the same month, elected Trustees. Dr. Rouse was chosen President of the Board. On July 23d they met at the store of Rufus P. Burlingame, elected Cyrus Leland Clerk, Mr. Burlingame Treasurer, and passed a resolution that the town should embrace an area of one square mile, having its center at the southwest corner of Main and Madison Streets. J On the 10th day of March, 1834, Abram S. Buxton and Henry Wolford commenced the publication of the first newspaper in Peoria, called "The Illinois Champion and Peoria Herald." From No. 36, dated December 6, 1834, we get a glimpse of the then existing condition of Peoria. The paper is almost totally barren of local news items, the object of the editor seeming to be to keep his readers acquainted with what was going on in the outside world, instead of what was going on at home. In fact there was so little going on at home it was scarcely worth publishing. We must, therefore, look to the advertisements for the information desired.
Messrs. Pettengill & Gale give notice that they keep constantly on hand and for sale Aiken & Little's flour (doubtless ground at Aiken & Little's Mill on the Kickapoo—Ed.) ; also, that they have just received and offer for sale at the store recently occupied by P. G. Deal, a general assortment of hardware, tin and wooden ware, window-glass, hollow-ware, fire-dogs, card-boxes, sheet-iron backs, tin-plate and cooking-stoves, stove-pipe, etc., etc., together with a few sets of plain and fine harness, boots and shoes, all of eastern manufacture. They had also just received and had for sale seventy-six dozen woolen socks and stockings.
Aquila Wren had just received, and had for sale, 40 barrels Kanawha salt, 20 barrels Conemaugh salt, ten sacks of ground alum (salt); 20 boxes fresh raisins; 1 pipe fourth-proof Cognac brandy; 1 bbl. White Malaga Wine; 1 bbl. Madeira; 1/2 bbl. Port; 1/2 bbl. London Particular Teneriffe; 6 boxes Claret; 1 box Muscat; 4 bbls. brown sugar and various other articles in his line, which he would sell cheap for cash. He also kept for sale a quantity of burr millstones of a quality equal to any manufactured in the West.
I. N. & J. Chrisman & Co. give notice that they had just received, and were opening at their store, a new and general assortment of spring and summer goods (this ad is dated May 3d and had been continued to December 6th— Ed.), consisting of dry-goods, queensware, glassware, hardware, &c., for sale for cash or approved country produce.
A. F. Colt, grocer, returns thanks for past favors, but regrets to say that he has to discontinue business for a few weeks for want of room to accommodate his customers, and in hopes of raising a building in a short time where he would be happy to supply them as heretofore.
The foregoing comprise all the mercantile firms appearing in this number of "The Champion."
In other lines of business the people seem to have had their necessities well supplied. Two public houses are advertised, one kept by William Eads at his old stand near the Old Fort (Ft. Clark—Ed.), which would be furnished with the best the country could afford and his stable provided with plenty of provender; the other, "The Peoria House and General Stage Office," kept by A. O. Garrett, corner Main and Washington Streets.
At the office of "The Champion" were kept for sale letter and foolscap paper of eastern manufacture, also writing and printing inks. At the same place there were for rent an ice-house, 12 feet deep 9 feet square, double-lined, with good wheat straw between the lining and batting.
P. A. Westervelt had established himself as a tailor in the second story of the large new building belonging to Mr. Wren on Water Street.
Three physicians offer their professional services to the people of Peoria, namely: Dr. Joseph C. Frye at the resi- dence of Mr. Buxton on Adams Street (now occupied by the Bryan Block—Ed.) ; Dr. J. M. Russell in the building occupied by Griffin's Store, and Dr. Kellogg at his office on Hamilton Street, formerly occupied by Samuel Lowry. Dr. Augustus Langworthy also practiced medicine in Peoria, but his name does not appear in the paper.
So far as appears from this paper there were but two lawyers then in Peoria: Charles Ballance, who was also County Surveyor, and who gives notice to those who were entitled to preemption rights and floating claims, that, by making aplication to him, they could have their business transacted at the land office at Quincy without the expense of a journey thither; and John L. Bogardus, who gives notice to all persons indebted to him to pay up, and to those whom he owes to send in their accounts and demands—also, to all persons who had borrowed property of any description from him to return the same immediately. Mr. Ballance, in his History of Peoria, says that Lewis Bigelow, another lawyer, was here at that time, but his name does not ap' pear in that character in "The Champion." It does, however, appear in connection, with that of Isaac Underhill as proprietor of the ferry, who, together with George De Pre, the ferryman, gives notice to all persons living on the opposite side of the river coming to trade, with merchandise or provisions of any kind—except lumber, wood and coal—that they should have free passage over the ferry.
Capt. O. H. Kellogg had just made a trip from St. Louis to Peoria in his light draft steamer Winnebago, and, so well were his passengers pleased with his treatment, that fifteen of them united in signing a paper for publication wherein they present him with their thanks for his skill and perseverance, as well as for his kindness and hospitality shown them on their voyage. In another place, Capt. Kellogg gives notice that his boat would be fitted up, during the winter, to run between Peoria and St. Louis the next season.
Notice is given that Rev. Leander Walker would preach at the school-house on Sunday, December 4th, at eleven o'clock A. M., and two o'clock P. M., and thereafter every other Sabbath.
William Eads wishes to sell his large unfinished house on Liberty Street, together with some hewn logs for a cabin and the lot on which they were then lying; also the lumber sufficient for the floors and a quantity of other timbers. Seth Fulton offered a reward for the return of one sorrel horse, which, when last seen, had a bell on buckled with a stirrup leather and was shod all round; also a bay horse with star in the forehead.
Isaac Waters, Clerk of the County Commissioners' Court, gave notice to persons whose notes given for town lots were due, to make payment; also, that on December 26th, a contract would be let to the lowest bidder for the building of a jail for Peoria County, a plan of which might be seen at his office.
A column and a half are taken up with instructions from the Commissioner of the General Land Office to Registers and Receivers respecting pre-emption of public lands.
A notice is given of a meeting to be held, December 6th, at Garrett's Hotel, for the purpose of forming a Lyceum.
Advertisements also appear from Putnam County, from St. Louis and from Louisville, Ky., where Mr. Buxton had formerly lived.
Emigration was now pouring into Peoria and, in the course of three or four years thereafter, the population had increased to 1,200 or 1,600.
In a publication entitled "A Gazetteer of Illinois," published about the same time by Dr. J. M. Peck, there is a glowing description of the beauty of Peoria's situation, after which occurs the following:
"Peoria now has twenty-five stores, two wholesale and five retail groceries, two drug-stores, two hotels and several boarding houses, two free schools and an incorporated academy, two Presbyterian houses of worship and congregations, one Methodist, one Baptist, one Unitarian, and one Episcopal congregation, six lawyers, eight or ten physicians, one brewery, two steam saw-mills, the usual proportion of mechanics, a court-house and a jail, and a population of from fifteen to eighteen hundred, which is rapidly increasing. The 'Peoria Register and North-Western Gazetteer' is issued weekly, by S. M. Davis, Esq. The religious people of this place have contributed no less than about twenty-three thousand dollars, the past year, for philanthropic purposes."
It might be supposed that twenty-five was a large number of stores for a population of 1,600, at which the village was then estimated; but it must be remembered that Peoria then supplied the whole country for many miles around, including Tazewell, Putnam, Knox and Fulton counties, whose aggregate population of 21,303 in 1835, had been largely increased by 1837. The rapid increase in population is vouched for by Mr. Isaac Underhill, an early and highly respected citizens of Peoria who, writing for Drown's Directory of 1844, says that he arrived at Peoria on Christmas Day, 1833, and, being favorably impressed with the place, determined to make it his future home. He then left for the South and, in a few months, returned. During his absence extensive preparations for building had been made and, by the first of September, about forty houses and stores were erected. An examina- tion of the bills presented to the administrators of the estates of several prominent citizens who had died about that time, will show that, counting dealers of every kind as storekeepers, Dr. Peck's enumeration is not far out of the way. From the estate of one well-to-do gentleman we learn that he had bought of A. Meyer, who was a baker and grocer, one barrel of flour for $10; from John Chrisman dry-goods to the amount of $61.59; of J. C. Cald- well, lumber to the amount of $10.89; of W. Orange a curled hair mattress for $20.00; of Lowry, Wade & Co. dry-goods and groceries to the amount of $48.37—also, that boarding was from $2 to $3 per week, and a patent cork-screw sold for $2.25. In the autumn of 1836, there must have been either a corner in the coal-market or a strike among the miners; for, on the 12th of October, coal sold for 4 cents per bushel, but on the 22d of the same month it brought 10 cents. We also find that this gentleman had a bed-stead which he had bought of R. Pierce for $17.50, and that his hall carpet, 13 3/4 yards, had cost him 75 cents per yard. Of A. Meyer he had bought sperm oil at $2 a gallon, ginger-bread at 25 cents per card (size of card not stated), molasses at 80 cents per gallon, currants at 25 cents per pound, bread at 6 1/4 cents per loaf, and had paid him 25 cents each for baking two fruit-cakes. To Mr. J. G. Lineback he had paid $54 for a suit of clothes and $5.00 for silk shirts; to Job Ross $9 for 1/2 barrel of honey with the barrel, and to Thomas Giles $60 for cutting wood at 75 cents per cord. To A. G. Curtenius he had paid $32.89 for groceries, among which were 16 1/2 lbs. canvassed ham at 14 cents per pound. We also learn that the trousseau of a bride ran as follows: 12 yds. white satin, at $1.37 1/2 -- $16.50 ; 4 pairs white kid gloves, at $1.20—$4.80; 1 pair white silk hose, .$2.50; 1 yard blondlace, $1.25; 3 yards ditto, $1.12; 1 bolt ribbon, 63 cents; 6 yards cross-barred muslin, at 75 cents—$4.50; 2 3/4 yards bombazine, $6.88; 1 leather trunk, $9.00. These goods were not to be had in Peoria but were ordered for the bride by a leading firm of merchants. Of J. N. & J Chrisman he had bought cloth, twist, saddle and blanket; of A. Wren, dry-goods; of Henry Pease, Seidlitz powders, lemon juice and port wine; of J. C. Armstrong & Coy groceries, Mocha coffee at 20 cents and Java at l8 3/4 cents per pound. Pettengill & Bartlett dealt in hardware; David Reeder, in bricks, at $6.50 per thousand; J. A. Neal, in dry-goods; Thomas L. Mayne, in table ware, combs, lamps, and jewelry. We learn also that a gray mare was worth $100 and two cows $65. Stage passage from Philadelphia to Pittsburg was $14, and from that point to Wheeling, Va., $5; while freight from St. Louis to Peoria was five cents per hundred, and passenger fare $5. On his trip East he purchased a Franklin stove at Pittsburg and, on his return home, ordered an improved cook-stove he had seen there, which the seller agreed to ship as soon as the waters in the Ohio River would get high enough.
P. A. Westervelt had charged him the following prices for tailoring: Making cloth coat, $7.00, with trimming for same, $3.00; making pants and trimming for same, $2.50; making thin coat, $6.00; thin pants, $2.00. White, Mil-
ford & Co. had charged him $8.00 for making a frock-coat. He had paid Stevens & Silliman $15.50 for groceries and Dr. Augustus Langworthy $12 for medical attendance daily from August 20, 1831, to September 2.
On the 7th of April, 1837, Samuel H. Davis commenced the publication of the "Peoria Register and North Western Gazetteer" as successor of "The Champion," two copies of which—one dated January 20, 1838, the other September 22, 1838—are now before us. As newspapers afford the best mirrors of the times in which they are published, no better service can be rendered by the chronicler of events than to gather information from their columns. "The Peoria Register and North Western Gazetteer" was a six-column weekly paper of four pages, pub- lished at the corner of Water and Liberty Streets over Mr. Curtenius' warehouse; terms, $3.00 per annum, payable in advance: advertisements, $1.00 per square for first, and 37 1/2 cents for each subsequent insertion. As an inducement to subscribers it is stated in the prospectus, that Peoria is situated 200 miles above St. Louis, with a population of 1,200, two taverns, twenty-five stores with various kinds of mechanics; thus corroborating the statement of Dr. Peck's Gazetteer.
The copy of January 20th is so very much worn and mutilated that very little can be gleaned from it. There is a long communication in it, however, relative to the existing difficulties in the Presbyterian Church.
A notice is given of the meeting of the Lyceum, signed by Chas. M. Reynolds, secretary; one that Methodist services are held every Sabbath in Mr. Douglas' school-room, A. E. Phelps, minister; one that Rev. Mr. Cranch would preach in the Court House on Sunday, the 21st of January; one that services in the First Presbyterian
Church are held every Sabbath, Rev. Isaac Kellar, pastor, and one that services in the Main Street Presbyterian Church are held every Sabbath, Rev. John Spaulding, pastor.
On the first page is a notice of Wesley City, situated about three miles below Peoria, on the banks of the Illinois River, in Tazewell County, known and distinguished as the "Old French Trading House" more than half a century since. (Established in 1818—Ed.) It was selected by Bisson, one of the first settlers of the country, as being one of the most centrally located and most easy of access from every quarter, surrounded by an attractive and most beautiful country. There was a good landing at all stages of the water, and the only one on the east side of the river between Pekin and Hennepin, a distance of sixty miles. It would long since have been occupied by a town-site, but for the fact that the title could not be secured until a late act of Congress regulating the pre-emption of Government lands. The advantages of the location in respect to health are highly praised from the fact that, for fifty years, a few families had lived there free from the diseases common to river locations. The town was surveyed in October, 1836, since which time there had been erected one of the finest steam saw-mills in the State, then in operation for nearly a year. During the past season, about forty buildings had been erected, consisting of dwellings, store-houses, shops and warehouses, and a steam grist mill was then under contract for erection.
According to this statement Wesley City must have been a dangerous rival, in a business point of view, to Peoria. It must then, however, have been in the zenith of its prosperity, as now its glory has entirely departed. The copy of the same paper, dated September 22, 1838, was issued under peculiarly distressing circumstances. It begins by saying: "Distant correspondents are asked to be patient for answer because the force in the office is diminished by sickness so that the information could not be gathered, and for the same reason the Gazetteer Department con- tains nothing editorial this week."
Then follows a one-column article upon the internal improvement system of the State then in progress, which was largely engrossing public attention. Another one of the same length was on the advisability of taking possession of
Oregon Territory up to 54 degrees and 40 minutes. Then follow several articles on sod-fences, apples, straw- berries, watermelons, and other melons which were growing in abundance; also an article showing that the water in the great lakes had risen about four feet above its usual level; one on the Illinois and Michigan Canal; a long description, by Joe Blackburn, of the coronation of Queen Victoria, which had recently taken place; an article on capital punishment, and one on a family of savages in West Jersey. The second page starts out with a sad cata-
logue of deaths, the season being a very sickly one, but the people more hopeful that the crisis had passed. The force in the office of the paper had been so reduced that the proprietor had been obliged to set his two sons (one aged sixteen, the other ten) at work on the press in the office. The first day they worked off one side of the entire edition consisting of forty-five quires, and the information is given that it is the only paper in the town.
Under the heads of "Mirror of Life and Domestic Compendium" are collected a large number of news items. The most important item on this page is the obituary notice of Dr. Peter Bartlett (father of our esteemed merchant, P.
C. Bartlett—Ed.), who died at the age of fifty years, a respected citizen and prominent physician.
Cincinnati markets are quoted up to the 12th of September, New Orleans markets to the 3d of September, and Nashville markets to the 6th of September.
On the third page are several death notices; also notice of services in the Main Street Presbyterian Church every Sabbath by the Rev. John Spaulding, pastor; services by the Rev. Isaac Kellar, pastor of. the Presbyterian Church, in the Court House at one o'clock, and services by the Rev. Mr. Huntoon, of the Unitarian Church, in the Court House, at early candle-lighting; also, that the Synod of Illinois would meet, on Wednesday next, at the Main Street Presbyterian Church at six o'clock.
The provision market is quoted as follows: Flour, $2.50 to $3.00 per 100 pounds; Beef, 4 to 6 cents per lb.; Pork, 6 to 7 cents; Mutton, scarce at 8 cents; Lard, none; Butter, 16 to 20 cents; White Beans, $1.00 to $1.25 per bushel; Corn Meal, 75 to 87 1/2 cents; Oats, 25 to 30 cents; Corn, 62 to 75 cents; Potatoes, 37 to 50 cents; Onions, 50 to 63 cents; Eggs, 10 to 12 cents per dozen; Chickens, $1.50 to $1.75 per dozen.
Stages were advertised to run daily to Springfield, and tri-weekly to Galena, Rushville, and Oquawka. The steam-boat, "Frontier," left every day, except Sunday, for Peru, at 8 A. M., passengers arriving in Chicago the next day; fare to Peru, including meals, $3.00, thence to Chicago $8.00,—Frink and Trowbridge contractors. Robert Allen ran the stage line to Springfield, and J. D. Winters the lines to Chicago and Galena.
J. E. Douglas gives notice that he will recommence his school in the Main Street Presbyterian Church on Monday, October 8th.
The Peoria Jockey Club advertised that their fall races would commence on the 15th of October by a match race between Bacchus and Phantom, for $500.00 a side, to be followed by other races every day during the week.
A proclamation issued by the President gives notice that land sales would be held in Danville, on Monday, November 5th, at Chicago, on Monday, November 10th, at Galena, October 15th, and at Quincy, November 5th. Among the lands advertised for sale at Quincy are the fractional townships of Peoria County.
A column is occupied with legal notices. S. Phelps & Co. of Oquawka give notice to "Ioway" travelers that they have put into complete operation a ferry at the town of Oquawka, designed for Iowa, Skunk or Flint river countries in the Territory of Iowa; that this route is the best, shortest and easiest of access to this flourishing country; that the road on the west side of the Mississippi river has been opened and all the sloughs bridged, so that there were no obstacles in getting out on the high land.
The following business notices will prove of interest: Merrill Davis says that his family are suffering for want of woman's help; any help which will come to do very light work for eight or ten days, that his women may be relieved from that burden so as to recover from a long illness, would be promptly and most honestly paid.
Dr. Thomas J. Moore, recently from Schoharie County, New York, announces that he has located in Farmington where he expects to open an office for general practice. (Dr. Moore afterwards became a resident of Rosefield Township, Peoria County, where he resided for many years—Ed.)
James Mossman had just received a large and splendid assortment of drugs, medicines, paints, oils, varnishes, window-glass, perfumery, fancy articles, etc., which, in addition to his former supply, comprised in all the largest and most extensive variety m the State of Illinois. His store was on Main Street, a few doors below the Post Office.
Mr. A. Wren announced to travelers and the public generally, that he had his new and fancy steam ferry-boat in. complete operation, and that it regularly crossed the Illinois at this place. Steamboats, "Frontier" for Peru, six times a week, and the steamer "Motto," D. Grant, Master, once a week to St. Louis, are advertised.
Daniel Belcher, on July 21, 1838, advertised that he had opened a public house in the flourishing town of Charlestown, where he was prepared to accommodate travelers and others with the best that the country afforded.
Joseph J. Thomas advertised his cabinet-making business in all its branches, opposite the Presbyterian Church, Main Street.
E. B. Coleman & Co had a nursery at Peoria, where, in addition to the usual fruit-trees, shrubs, etc., kept a nursery, they had the genuine Morus Multicaulis or Chinese Mulberry. The trade in this variety of trees must have been very great, for Mr. C. I. Horsman, of Rockford, had 200,000 of these trees for sale. His advertisement states that, induced by the growing interest manifested in the West in the culture of Mulberry trees, he had located himself at Rockford on Rock River, where he had an extensive nursery and had for sale the following trees: 100,000 Morus Multicaulis, which are warranted to be genuine large-leafed variety, the leaves averaging about 7 to 9 inches, and in moist rich soil, they are sometimes 12 inches wide and 15 inches long; also 100,000 Canton Multicaulis, the leaf of which is not so large as the other, but much thicker. They are both the most approved kind for feeding the silk-worm. He also had for sale 100,000 Morus Multicaulis cuttings of two buds each. A few silk- worm eggs of superior quality were to be supplied gratis to those purchasing trees.
The following professional cards appear in the paper: Lawyers—Powell & Knowlton, office in the Court House; Charles Ballance, location not given; James H. Sanford, in the rear room over the store of Alter & Howell, Main Street; George B. Parker, Probate Justice, office in the Court House; Peters & Gale, Attorneys, office in the Court House; Frisby & Metcalf, Attorneys, office in the Court House.
The following business cards appear: T. L. Mayne, watch-maker and jeweler, Washington Street; A. Meyers, groceries, liquors, wines, cigars, etc., on Water Street; J; C. Armstrong, wholesale grocer, forwarding and commission merchant; A. G. Curtenius, receiving, forwarding and commission merchant, Water and Liberty Streets (at present occupied by C. R. I. & P. Passenger and Freight depot—Ed.) ; Farrell & Lippincott, wholesale dealers in drugs, medicines, etc., etc., Main Street; Forsythe & Co., general agents, receiving, forwarding and commission merchants, the firm consisting of R. J. Forsythe Wheeling, Virginia, and Andrew Gray, Peoria;. John A. McCoy, dealer in leather of all kinds, boots, shoes, and hats, corner of Fulton and Water Streets; I. & J. Tapping, fashionable tailors, successors to J. G. Lineback.
From Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Peoria County, Edited by David McCulloch, Vol. II; Chicago and Peoria: Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1902.
Home | History
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.