Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
Peoria - Village to City
FROM VILLAGE TO CITY.
By act of the Legislature of 1844-5, entitled ""An Act to Incorporate the City of Peoria," the Village of Peoria became incorporated as a City with the following boundaries: All of fractional sections three, nine and ten, and south half of section four, Township, Eight North, Range Eight East. These dimensions were, from time to time, enlarged until, by act of February 12, 1863, the entire township was taken in. By the revised charter of 1869, the area was fixed as follows: Fractional sections two and three, the south half of section four, the northeast quarter and the south half of the northwest quarter; the southeast quarter and the south half of the southwest quarter of section five; all of section eight, and fractional sections nine, ten, sixteen and seventeen to the middle of the Lake. By the recent annexations of South Peoria, and West Peoria, or No Man's Land, the City has been enlarged by taking in all of section seven lying south of Seventh Avenue; all of section eighteen, the north half and part of the southwest quarter of section nine, and part of the west half of the northwest quarter of section twenty—for a more particular description of which see records.
By the annexation of North Peoria there have been added the north half of the northwest quarter of section four, Township Eight North, Range Eight East; the south half of section thirty-three, the south half of the north half of section thirty three, the southwest quarter and the south half of the northwest quarter, and so much of the southeast quarter of section thirty-four, Township Nine North, Range Eight East, as lies west of the road to Springdale Cemetery.
The population at the time Peoria became a city was 1,619, according to a census taken in January, 1844. In June, 1855, another census was taken which showed the total number to be 11,858, an increase of over seven fold.
In March, 1851, Simeon DeWit Drown issued a second Directory and Historical View of Peoria, dated as of the year 1850. This was followed by an annual publication under the title of "Peoria City Record and Drown's Statistics," the latest number of which, that has come under our notice, is that of 1857. In the year 1856, Omi E. Root commenced the publication of a series of annual directories, which was continued for many years. In 1859, N. C. Geer, publisher of the "Peoria Transcript," issued a thirty-two page pamphlet giving a descriptive account of the City, its early history, together with a view of its then present business, manufactories, and other industries. From these publications may be learned much of the progress made by the City in population and wealth during the first fifteen years of its corporate existence.
The number of occupations and kinds of business carried on in 1844, as indicated by the preceding chapter, had not materially increased, but the number of persons engaged in them was much greater. Among the new lines of business then carried on, may be mentioned the production of colored daguerreotypes (colored by hand) ; the enlarged manufacture of threshing machines, horse-powers, reaping machines, corn threshers and cleaners, the manufacture and sale of leather goods, copper and tin-ware, plows, carriages, brass and iron foundry products; a large increase in the wholesale business in groceries, drugs, hardware, leather goods; also in the business of insurance and in that of forwarding and commission.
By 1854 the log buildings had all disappeared but two; there were then 1,385 frame and 817 brick buildings, making 2,204 in all. Messrs. Walker & Kellogg, dealers in grain, pork and other produce, had just erected, on the river bank extending back 250 feet on Elm street, one of the largest grain and packing-houses in the Illinois Valley. It was 60 feet wide, the first (or basement) story of brick and the superstructure frame. The basement extended back 100 feet from the river, where, on account of the sloping nature of the ground, it met the surface. The main story was sixteen feet high, and the whole covered with a pitched shingle roof, making what Mr. Drown called a one-and-a-half story building. A tram-way was constructed in the basement, for which purpose an exca- vation was made to the extreme rear end of the building. The grain from the bins on the main floor was let down through spouts into truck wagons oh the tram-way, and by them conveyed to the river and loaded in bulk on canal-boats, of which the firm operated a line to Chicago and St. Louis. An inclined way for wagons, partly earthen and partly frame, was constructed from Water Street on which the railroad was then in process of construction, by which the wagons could be taken in at the gable and thence on a plank way, to the river end of the building, where they emerged and reached terra firma over another and much steeper incline constructed entirely of wood. The wagons were driven in according to the order of their arrival, and were unloaded into the bins on the main floor below. Some idea of the immense business coming to. Peoria by wagons in those ante-railroad times may be gained from the fact that, on many occasions, not only the immense building from end to end, but the approach thereto and some distance along Water Street, was filled with a solid line of teams and wagons awaiting their turn to unload.
Special mention is made of two extensive marble factories, one carried on by Parkhurst & Pillsbury at the head of Franklin Street, and one by John Jewell at the foot of Fulton Street, employing about twenty workmen and ten or a dozen traveling agents. Their work was met with all over the West. The exports and imports of the City for the year 1853-4 amounted to $3,126,092.00; the sale of merchandise to $1,855,562.00.
Three banking houses appeal to have been doing business at that time: "The Central Bank," of which Robert Arthur Smith was Cashier, on the lower corner of Main and Water Streets; N. B. Curtiss & Co., on the corner opposite, and J. P. Hotchkiss & Co., at No.13 Main Street.
The City Council was not at all niggardly in regard to the privileges asked by railroads about to enter the City. The contract having been let to Messrs. Sheffield & Farnum for the construction of the Peoria and Bureau Valley Railroad, which was expected to be completed by the opening of navigation the next season, the Council, on July 28, 1853, granted it the right of way generally through and along any streets, lanes, avenues and alleys of the City. The first locomotive over the same arrived, November 7, 1854, the first passenger train November 9th, and, for some time, the freight house and ticket office occupied the open air on Water Street from Main to Fayette, there being no building for the purpose.
In No. 7, of "Drown's Record" it is announced that, on and after Thursday, November 22, 1855, the cars on the Eastern Extension would leave Peoria from the east end of the bridge at 7:15 A. M., and 3:15 P. M., leaving Walnut Grove (Eureka) at 9:00 A. M., and 5:00 P. M.; that, on and after the 1st day of December, the trains on the Peoria and Oquawka Railroad west, would leave the station at Peoria daily at 6:30 A. M., and 3:30 P. M.; returning, would leave Brimfield (Oak Hill Station) at 9:00 A. M., and 5 :30. P. M.
Notice is taken that the Peoria Gas-Light & Coke Company had just established its plant at the foot of Persimmon Street, and had then 3 3/4 miles of pipe laid in the streets. A description is given of the method of making the gas, which was then furnished to business houses, private families, hotels and churches.
Notice is taken of the fact that Messrs. William and Isaac Moore had erected a large flouring mill on North Fayette Street, which had three run of burrs; also, that Messrs. Walker & Kellogg had erected a fine brick building for a warehouse just above the building they had erected last year. (This was the Railroad Station House above mentioned—.Ed.) It is also noted that the Peoria & Bureau Valley Railroad had built its freight depot, engine house, blacksmith shop, machine shop and round house at the foot of Evans Street, where they still remain.
In constructing the Peoria & Oquawka Railroad bridge at the foot of Walnut Street, the track had been made about three feet higher than the roadway of the old wagon-road bridge. This, as well as the fact that the railroad was in too close proximity to the wagon-road, rendered some changes necessary. First an inclined crossing was constructed over the railroad; then the bridge proper was raised to correspond and an incline was made at the southeastern end; then the causeway southeast of the bridge was changed so as to place it further from the railroad—all of which required much time and a large expenditure of money. When the railroad was first opened for passenger traffic a small station house was erected at the intersection of the two bridges, to and from which point passengers were conveyed in omnibuses and carriages.
At the time of the issue of "Drown's Record" of 1856, the process of reconstructing the wagon-road bridge was in progress. The bridge had been built in 1848 and on being removed, it was found to be very much decayed with dry rot, it having been built of oak and black walnut. It was being replaced with a structure of pine. At that time the draw was, as now, 292 feet in length. Messrs. Stone, Boomer & Bouton were the contractors, and the improvement was to cost between ten and eleven thousand dollars.
Of the business of the past year the following statements are made:
The two warehouses of Walker & Kellogg and Grier & McClure had handled grain as follows: 648,847 bushels of wheat; 1,475,000 bushels of corn ; 340,000 bushels of oats; 26,625 bushels of. rye; 26,527 bushels of barley; total, in bushels, 2,517,059.
The manufactories of Peoria are estimated in value as follows: Distilleries, $540,000; breweries, $25,000; foundries, $128,000; flouring mills, $500,000; agricultural implements, $150,000; plow factories, $85,000; planing mil's, $296,600; cooperage, $138,000; carriages and wagons, $125,000; lightning rods, $120,000; marble and stone cutting, $36,000; stone and earthenware, $7,300; cabinet furniture, $75,000; saddle and harness, $36,000; tin, copper, brass, etc., $28,000; candle and soap factories, $26,600; fish, $85,000; boat building, $40,000. Total, $2,251,000, to which must be added as not enumerated, $1,000,000.
The real estate is quoted at $150 to $300 per front foot for first class business property, residence lots from $400 to $3,000 each.
There were four banking houses: N. B. Curtiss & Co.; Goodell, Ellwood & Co.; J. P. Hotchkiss & Co., and S. Pulsifer & Co. There was one insurance company, the Peoria Marine and Fire Insurance Company, No. 39 Main Street, and fourteen agencies in the city. Owen Donlevy represented four companies. Sweat and Bills eight, and James A. Lee one.
In the Record of 1857 is & description of the railroad bridge across the river as follows: Entire length, 600 feet, crossing the river a little diagonal from Walnut Street, in three spans of 150 feet each, supported by three piers and abutments; the length of the draw the same as the old bridge (292 feet)—the entire bridge about 4,000 feet in length, 300 feet truss, 292 feet draw and 3,300 feet trestle work, ranging from 10 to 25 feet in height. The space between the draws of the two bridges was fenced by piles driven on each side of the channel to keep boats in their proper place ascending or descending, and to prevent their being driven between the, two bridges by the wind. The railroad bridge was built by Messrs. Harper & Twedale, the cost being $60,000 for the "three spans and draw. The structure was entirely of wood.
The expenditures of the City of Peoria for the year, ending December 31, 1856, were as follows: Engineer's department, $16,950.88; health department, $3,280; fire department, $2,523.62; police department, $1,224.11; miscellaneous (including salaries of the Mayor, $500; City Clerk, $400; City Treasurer, $300; Assessor, $300; City Attorney, $300)—total, $9,063.01. Among these miscellaneous expenditures are found $709.29 for keeping in repair public wells, pumps and building cisterns (there being then no public water works); $400 for celebrating the 4th of July; $146.50 to Henry Grove for attorney's fees; $150 for expense of suits in the United States Court. The fact that the City had suits in the Federal Courts indicates that it was then somewhat involved in the French claim controversy. The amount paid the Peoria Gas-Light & Coke Co. was $1,624.48; to harbor fund, $89.50; cemetery fund, $5.17; the interest on bonds issued to the Peoria and Oquawka Railroad being $11,612.41.
The account of Zenas Hotchkiss as Treasurer shows, among other things, the following: To money received from the collection of taxes for 1856, $12,091.57; liquor licenses, $8,088.50; auctioneer licenses, $575; brokers' licenses, $200; dray and wagon licenses, $230; billiard tables, $435; ten-pins, $140; circuses, menageries and other shows, $499; from hay scales, $1,055.38; from James M. Cunningham, Police Magistrate, for fees collected, $935.32; received from Peoria County for taking care of paupers, $1,974.92 total amount received on account of railroad fund, $15,269.79; amount paid out, $11,672.41; receipts from harbor fund, $530.73.
The exports and imports for the years 1856 and 1857 amounted to $9,83l,010,
in the following articles, as near as could be ascertained, viz.:
Barley (bushels)..................................50,662 $104,676
Beer (lager and strong).........................7,200 89,440
Beeves ...............................................1,932 86,940
Broom Corn Seed (bushels)...............15,000 3,750
Coal, charred (bushels).................... 20,000 2,600
Coal, mineral (bushels).................... 130,000 13,000
Corn (bushels)..............................2,569,780 848,087
Corn Meal (bushels) .......................... 5,500 3,800
Corn, Hominy (bushels)...................... 1,200 360
Corn Starch (manu. Ibs.)................ 466,000 20,000
Dry and Green Hides....................... ..7,904 80,568
Flax-seed (bushels)............................... 800 1,400
Flour; barrels, (bags not enumerated .98,512 591,072
Grass-seed, clover (bushels)............... 2,880 20,160
Grass-seed, timothy, (bu.).................. 1,250 4,375
Hogs, ............................................. 4,789 890,371
Lumber, hard-wood (feet)............. 600,000 168,000
.Lumber, boards (feet) ...............3,960,140
Lumber, shingles (M)................13,797,600 511,992
Lumber, lath (M)......................... 7,732,830
Millet (bushels) .................................. 1,800 900
Oats (bushels) ................................ 385,595 134,598
Plows (700 sent to Cal.).......................8,550 85,500
Rye (bushels) ................................... 78,222 58,667
Shorts or Middlings (Ibs)............. 2,524,980 31,562
Sheep and Calves (slaught'd) ............. 1,000 8,500
Wheat (bushels) ............................ 828,199 739,079
Whiskey (bbis 40 gal. each) ........... 333,181 4,331,353
Total ........................................................... $9,831,010
Root's Directory for 1857 covered about the same period as Drown's Record of the same date. From this publication we learn the following additional facts:
The Peoria and Bureau Valley Railroad was the only one then finished to Peoria. The Peoria and Oquawka road was finished for about twenty miles west and eighteen miles east of Peoria. The Peoria and Bureau Valley Rail- road had been leased to the Chicago and Rock Island Company, which was running trains between Peoria and Chicago—the passenger depot being a small wooden building (recently erected) on Water Street between Hamilton and Fayette Streets. A contract had been let for the building of the bridge across the Illinois River for the Peoria and Oquawka Railroad.
The Western Division was opened to Brimfield (Oak Hill Station—Ed.), the passenger station being, on Water Street below Chestnut (corner of Elm).
The Business Directory shows the following: Architects, 2; attorneys-at-law,
26; auction and commission, 5; bakeries, 11; banking houses, 3; blacksmithing,
9; boat-yards, 3; boiler-maker, 1; booksellers and stationers, 3; book-binders,
3; manufacturers and dealers in boots and shoes, 26; breweries, 5; carpenters
and builders, 21; carpet-dealers, 4; carriage and wagon manufacturers, 7;
composition roofers, 2; confectioners, 5; coopers, 9; manufacturers of corn-shellers,
3; dealers in crockery, 3; daguerrean artists, 3; dentists, 2; distilleries, 4;
druggists, 13; dry-goods merchants, 24; express offices, 1; fanning-mill
manufacturers, 2; dealers in farming machinery, 3; flour and feed stores, 3;
forwarding and commission merchants, 12; foundries and machine shops, 3; fruit
dealers, 3; manufacturers and dealers in furniture, 6; groceries, 51; gunsmiths,
5; hardware merchants, 6; manufacturers and dealers in hats and caps, 3; hotels,
18; insurance agents, 4; intelligence offices, 3; land offices, 8; leather and
findings, 4; linseed oil manufacturer, i; liquor dealers, 12; livery stables, 5;
lumber merchants, 9; marble dealers, 3; match manufactories, 1; .mills, 4;
milliners and dressmakers, 18; music stores, 1; nurseries, 2; omnibus lines, 2;
oyster dealers, 6; painters and glaziers, 9; physicians, 23; planing mills, 2;
plow factories, 3; pork-packers, 4; printing offices, 6; produce and commission
merchants, 7; rope-makers, 2; saddle and harness makers, 6; sash, door and blind
manufacturers, 4; soap and candle manufacturers, 2; soda-water manufacturer, 1;
starch manufacturer, 1; steam boat agencies, 2; stoneware manufacturer, 1;
surveyors, 6; tailor and clothing stores, 23; tanner and currier, 1; dealers in
tin, copper, sheet-iron and stoves, 5; dealers in tobacco and cigars, 7;
turner,1; undertakers, 2; upholsterers, 3; wallpaper and hangings, 4;
watchmakers and jeweler, 7; yankee notion and variety stores, 7. Owing to the
increase in business, as well as in the number and value of buildings, the
insurance business was becoming a matter of importance. The Peoria Marine and
Fire Insurance Company was transacting business at No. 39 Main Street. Its
officers were Isaac Underhill, President; B. L. T. Bourland, Vice-President;
Charles Holland, Secretary, who, together with A. G. Tyng, Philo Holland,
William E. Mason, William Kellogg,
William R. Phelps, William Fenn, of Lacon, William A. Herron, P. R. K. Brotherson, Leonard Holland, and John Reynolds, constituted the Board of Directors. The capital stock was $100,000.
Owen Donlevy, at No. 33 Main Street over the store of A. P. Bartlett, was
agent for the Illinois Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the Stephenson County
Mutual Fire Insurance Company, Chicago City Fire Marine Insurance Company, Union
Mutual Life Assurance Company, of Boston, and International Life Assurance
Company, London, England. Peter Sweat and Roswell Bills were in partnership in
the insurance business adjoin-
ing the Post Office. They represented the following companies: The Home Insurance Company, New York; Aetna Fire and Marine Insurance Company, Hartford Insurance Company, of Connecticut, Delaware Mutual Insurance Company, of Philadelphia, and the Hartford Fire Insurance Company, of Hartford, Connecticut.
Goodell, Ellwood & Co., hankers, appear instead of the Central Bank, and S. Pulsifer & Co., are added to the number of banking houses.
The following are the newspapers advertised in this issue:
"The Peoria Democratic Press," daily and weekly, office No. 10 Main Street, Peoria; E. P. Sloan proprietor— there being a jobbing department attached.
"The Illinois Banner," a German weekly, of which A. Zotz was editor and proprietor, connected with which was an English and German jobbing office.
"The Morning News," daily, triweekly and weekly, of which George W. Rancy was proprietor and editor, corner of Main and Water Streets, with jobbing department attached.
"The Republican." daily evening, tri-weekly and weekly, published by S. L. Coultar, third story of Hotchkiss building, on Main Street between Washington, and Water.
The "Daily and Weekly Transcript," corner of Water and Fulton Streets, with book and job office attached.
"The Memento," a Journal of Odd Fellowship, was published at the same place—name of the publishers not given, but known to be N. C. Nason.
T. J. Pickett carried on a book and job office at 13 Main Street. Tins is supposed to have been the same office in which ''The Republican" was published. Pickett formerly had been proprietor and editor of "The Republican," but about this time he became a candidate for the office of Circuit Clerk and retired from the editorship, leaving the same in the hands of Campbell C. Waite.
From "The Peoria Transcript's" account of Peoria, published by N. C. Geer in 1859, we gather the following items:
A description is given of Springdale Cemetery, which was then very new, having been organized but three years previous. The officers were: President, William A. Hall; Secretary, Hervey Lightner; Treasurer, Lewis Howell; Superintendent, John D. Hall. The grounds are described as follows : "The natural beauty of these grounds is unsurpassed. The stranger is prepossessed in their favor on entering. As he proceeds, particularly if he is a lover of the grand and picturesque in nature, his pleasure increases, and he ends the circuit of the grand tour not only delighted, but, we may almost say, enchanted. Nature never endowed a lovelier spot for the consecrated ground. Here is the overarching tree, the open green sward, the purling, murmuring rivulet, the gentle slope, the winding road; then the steep acclivity, at the top of which one peeps out through an opening in the trees, on the one hand, and sees the quiet lake on whose bosom the sunbeams lie sleeping, or gazes down a precipitous depth into a wild ravine luxuriant with vegetation, where those sunbeams rarely penetrate.
"The landscape gardener has little to do to cultivate these grounds, except to restrain the luxuriance of nature; to cut away, perhaps a tree here, to let in a little more sunshine, or there, to give more prominence to the view down that dell, or along the road that leads up yonder ravine.
"The tasteful hands of the living testify by their adornments their love and veneration of the dead, and no longer are burial grounds unsightly and repugnant, but pleasing and attractive spots, where we love to wander and muse on life, its hopes, its aims and its ends."
The Peoria County Fair Grounds, now constituting "Table Grove Addition" to the City of Peoria, received tile following favorable notice:
"Of the beauty of these grounds and their general applicability to all purposes of an extensive agricultural and mechanical exhibition, the citizens of Peoria County may be justly proud. In these respects they have few equals, and to find their superior we must go beyond the limits of Illinois. The territory occupied comprises 22 acres of land, tastefully laid out and conveniently arranged for the accommodation of exhibitors and spectators. The avenues and pathways which intersect the grounds are numerous, and are disposed in the best approved style. The buildings are spacious and appropriate, and adequate to any demand. Of trees, there is great abundance for shade and ornament, the larger number consisting of those indigenous to the soil, which form a magnificent grove; but still, notwithstanding the liberality of nature, the Association has made extensive, yet judicious, outlays for rare specimens of trees, which have been nurtured with care and are vigorously thriving. The variety of shrubbery is extensive, and is arranged so as to strike the eye with the full force of its beauty. The grounds are kept in fine order, and at this season of the year, when all nature is rejoicing in the development of beauty, they have a paradisiacal appearance, which fills the heart of the observer with delight. No more fitting spot can be found on which to erect shrines to the presiding genius of Agriculture and the Mechanics Arts."
Then follows a description of the manner in which the grounds had been fitted up for fair purposes: "Water is supplied by two wells and a living spring,—is of the best quality, and is sufficiently abundant for all emergencies."
This description is worthy of being perpetuated for the additional reason that, two years later, these grounds were used as the camp of the Seventeenth Illinois Regiment of Volunteers, also by the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry during the fall and winter of that year, while camping at Peoria under command of Colonel R. G. Ingersoll, as also by one or two regiments in the summer of 1862.
The Peoria City Library then had 350 members and contained 3,500 volumes. The price of membership was "$1.00, with an annual fee for the use of the Library of $2.00.
The German Library Association, organized August, 1857, then numbered 100 members with 500 volumes in the library. The initiation fee of members was $1.00 with monthly dues of 25 cents.
There were five military companies in the city, two American, two German, and one Irish,—all in a good state of discipline.
There were three lodges of Masons, one Royal Arch Chapter and one Commandery of Knights Templar; three lodges of Odd Fellows and one Encampment, and two lodges of Good Templars.
There was also a Young Men's Christian Association, which held weekly meetings.
The grain trade was. at a low ebb in consequence of a failure of crops.
The pork-packing business is described as follows:
''The pork-packing business is very important, and has been pretty steadily on the increase. We give the number of hogs packed here for the following years:
"The number of hogs packed last year, was 53,550, or 18,245 more than the previous year."
"The following is a statement of the different houses engaged in packing, and the number packed by each: '
Tyng & Brotherson. .................... 21,000
Reynolds & Co...... .................... 17,150
Grier & McClure. ... .................... 8,200
G. Trant ........... .......................... 2,200
Kellogg & Nowland (For Adams & Co.,
St. Louis) ....... ............................ 5,000
"Most of the slaughtering was done by Reynolds & Co., who killed 28,512 hogs, and Kellogg & Nowland, who killed some over 10,000. Their slaughter-houses are located on the river bank in the neighborhood of the distilleries. The above statement does not include the retail butchering business of the city."
The lumber trade gets the following notice:
'There are at present sixteen individuals and firms in the lumber trade.
Several new ones have entered the business the past year. Although the trade was
greatly curtailed by the absence of country demand, we find the sales to have
been larger than any previously reported year. The following is a statement of
the sales in 1853, 'S5,
'56, and '58:
"Nearly all the lumber is sold at retail, but several of our yards are prepared to wholesale to dealers in adjoining towns—on the railroads leading, east and west, and on the river below, and elsewhere—on terms as advantageous (freight considered) as can be had in Chicago. The trade for the present year has, thus far, largely increased over the last, and, with a good crop the coming fall, dealers will close the year with a business unexampled in the history of our city."
The population, year by year, and the assessed valuation of property within the city are given as follows:
"Below we give a table of the population and valuation of Peoria for each year since 1844:
Real & Personal
One sign of prosperity is said to be that a greater number of buildings was in process of erection than ever known at any one time before.—not insignificant building, but substantial and costly structures, 120 of them being numerated. Among the well known buildings then in process of erection may be mentioned those of the Peoria Marine and Fire Insurance Company and E. N. Powell on Main Street,—still standing and known as the Iron Front Building. Charles Ulrichson was architect, Smith & Murden masons, and Isaac Bushnell the painter. A.J. Hodges was carpenter for the first, and G. L. Ryors for the second.
The City Hall on Fulton Street (lately demolished).
Two stores on Adams Street by Wm. Reynolds (where Clarke & Co. now are—Ed.), 47 feet front by 100 deep, and three stories high; Charles Ulrichson, architect, Patrick Ward, mason, Wm. Reddick, carpenter—cost, $11,000.
Store on North Adams Street between Main and Hamilton by P. C. Merwin 17, feet front by 85 feet, three stories; Wm. Thompson, mason, Joseph Tyrrell, carpenter.
Store on Main Street, corner of the alley between Water and Washington, by C. W. McClelland, 20 feet by 70 feet, three stories—cost, $4.500: Ulrichson, architect, Pierce & Smith, masons, Ryors, carpenter.
Store on the corner of Main and Adams Streets by Dr. Rouse, 22 by 72 feet, three stories— James Leeds, mason; Wm. Leeds, carpenter (now occupied by Central National Bank—Ed.)
Two stores on Washington Street, between Bridge and Walnut Streets, by N. Bergen, 38 by 60 feet, three stories—cost, $5,000: (formerly known as Bergen's Hall—Ed.)
Two stores on Washington between Fulton and Liberty Streets, by Davis & Smith, each 18 by 100 feet; three stories high—cost, $7,000.
Two stores, corner of Washington and Hamilton Streets, by J. K. Cooper and J. E. McClure, 72 feet by 65 feet, three stories—cost between $8,000 and $9,000.
Two stores on Water Street between Fulton and Main Streets, by Samuel Voris. 42 feet by 65 feet, three stories high—cost $10.000.
Two stores on the corner of Fulton and Adams Streets, by John Warner, 54 feet front on Adams Street by 90 feet deep, basement story underneath on Fulton Street (now occupied by Harned, Bergner & Von Maur—E,d.)
Store on South Adams Street by Henry Lammers, 28 feet front by 40 feet deep), three stories high.
Four brick stores on North Adams Street, corner of Hamilton, 62 feet by 72 feet, three stories high, by Eldrick Smith—cost $15,000. (Still known as the Smith Block"—Ed.)
Italian Villa on the Bluff, by J. L. Griswold; three stories and basement—cost, $18,000; Ulrichson, architect; Ryors, carpenter, (since known as the Griswold place, now occupied by Eustace Smith as a residence—-Ed.)
Two brick dwelling houses, corner of Monroe and Fayette Streets, by John Hamlin, two stories and basement —cost, $2.500; Ulrichson, architect, Ryors, contractor (now owned by Mrs. Harry Van Buskirk—Ed.)
Ornate Gothic Cottage on the bluff, by E. G. Johnson, in the form of an "L," front 32 by 18 feet, wing 24 by 18, with addition in the rear 25 feet square: T. S. Whitby, architect—cost, $4,000. (Still occupied as a dwelling—Ed.)
For further details of the growth and development of the material interests of the City the reader is referred to the chapters which follow.
From Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Peoria County, Edited by David McCulloch, Vol. II; Chicago and Peoria: Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1902.
Home | History
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.