Peoria County, Illinois
Topographical Engineer Report on Fort Clark
Transcribed by: Candi H. ©November
2006, Genealogy Trails
This is a letter from L. H. Long,
Major of Topographical engineers and acting engineer of fortifications,
addressed to George Graham, Esq. acting secretary of War.
Published in: The American Beacon and Commercial Diary; From
the National Register; April 5, 1817; Vol. IV; Issue: 50; Pg: 2
Fort Clark is situated on
the North side of the Illinois, at the distance of about 180 miles
from the mouth of that river.
This is a palisade work,
also, illy [sic] calculated for the defense, and has no quarters fit
for the reception of troops.
Peoria Village, destroyed during the late war,
formerly occupied the site, upon a part of which the garrison is now
The barracks are constructed of logs daubed with mud.
The magazine is built of the same kind of materials and placed
contiguous to the other buildings; and the whole is in eminent
danger of conflagration as the consequence of having many of its
chimneys and fire places made of wood plastered with mortar. In case
a fire should break out and get beyond control in any part of the
works, the whole must be consumed and the troops be left without
shelter at a great distance from any settlement. A plan for
fortifying this place has been reported to Brig. Gen. Swift; and the
troops stationed here under the command of Maj. Riddle have been
busily employed during the last season in collecting timber and
other materials for the erection of new works.
Home | History
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights
reserved for original submitters.