Peoria County, Illinois
Data and Photos courtesy of Steve Slaughter
The Henry Chase Home
The Henry J. Chase home was located at 1911 West Aiken St. in Peoria, at the top of Western Ave. hill. The top photo at left shows the home as it stood in 1950; the lower photo is an aerial view of the home (to the left in the picture) with KRAMER's Hotel/Restaurant in the center. Kramer's changed hands and became JUMER'S HOTEL and later yet, JUMER'S CASTLE LODGE. The Standard Oil Gas Station it at the top right.
Henry J. Chase was the son of the son of the Episcopal Bishop Philander Chase, founder of Jubilee College. His house was razed in May 1966 for a parking lot for Kramer's Hotel.
The 2 story red brick residence situated on a knoll at Western and Aiken avenues was razed to provide additional parking facilities for the expanding and modernizing Kramer's Restaurant and the new Balkon Lounge at 117 N. Western Ave, adjacent to the home.
James Jumer, owner of the restaurant since 1959, purchased the home and property from the Best estate in 1961. He said a portion of the 276 feet by 160 foot parcel of land would be used for additional parking and that after the house was razed, additional landscaping.
Louver-like round windows below the projecting roof and double brackets which appear as roof supports lend interest to this 19th century dwelling. The wood used in the house was Northern white pine. A single roof truss extended from one end of the house to the other end andA. W. Oakford, local historian, said it was believed that the brick used in the house was fired in a kiln on the property and the mortar made from lime also produced on the premises.
At one time there was a kitchen wing with a large Dutch oven. The house was built about 1865 for Henry I. Chase who was the proprietor of the Chase Custom Flour Mill. He was the eldest son of Episcopal Bishop Philander Chase by a first marriage, according to Oakford.
Bishop Chase founded Jubilee College now located in Jubilee Park, Peoria County. In Bishop Chase's will, his son Henry was appointed a member of the Board of Trustees representing the laity.
The Chase family resided in the home for some time. But according to the Peoria City Directory of 1891, the Henry Kannefamily were residents in that year. Kanne was a brick manufacturer. In 1895, Vincent B. Kanne was shown to the resident.
Around the turn of the century the home was rented for about a decade to theHanchett family and around 1920 to the late Thomas A. Best family. He operated a mill-work firm. Thomas Best purchased the property from the Proctor estate and lived there with his family for about 35 years.
At one time the Chase home was filled with antiques but these have long since disappeared and some vandalism had been reported in the short time that the house had lain vacant.
Home | Landmarks
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.