Peoria County, Illinois  Genealogy Trails

 

 

Peoria County Landmarks, Buildings, Parks & Streets

History of Streets and Area Names

Contributed by: Steve Slaughter

 

 

LAURA AVE
Honored the daughter of Lydia Moss Bradley, benefactor of Bradley University and the source of names for 2 other avenues: MOSS Ave and BRADLEY Ave.

TOBIAS St.
Named after Lydia Moss Bradley's husband, Tobias, but was renamed SOUTH MAPLEWOOD Ave. for some unknown reason.

MONSON,SANFORD,FISHER,GOODWIN and SHIPPER
A group of Boston speculators, named East-West streets on their property in numerical order ( First thru Seventh Aves) and left their names on the rest.

VORIS and LAVIELLE
Named after city developers plus that of their wives, MARY and CAROLINE, left their mark on the city map.

Charles Ballance, Peoria County surveyor who laid out the Ballance Addition {part of his estate} in 1834, named his streets after trees: WALNUT, CHESTNUT, OAK, ELM, LOCUST, PERSIMMON, PECAN, CEDAR and LINDEN.

FREDONIA AVE
The residence of a family named Howard from Fredonia, New York. They started a watch factory in Peoria.

FRINK ST.
Named after Frink & Walker, a stage coach line West of Peoria.

NEW ST.
Named by John Wickman who said he would give land for the street to the city..... if he was allowed to name it! The city agreed and Wickman had his claim to fame in the records of the City of Peoria.

GOOSE LAKE
Designates the area formerly covered by a part time lake of that name along the foot of the bluff between Western Ave and Main St.

BARTONVILLE was dubbed DOG TOWN in the mid 1800's when it was a miner's settlement which had a heavey population of dogs. Once Barttonville became repectable, Dog Town shifted to indicate the river bank colony at the foot of Morgan Street.

DUBLIN was the the district near Irving School. CAREY"S PATCH was in Averyville on North Adams St. . Both were styled from the predominance of Irish Residents.

DUTCH HILL
Was far out on Starr St.

PLEASANT VALLEY
Was in the hollow on Farmington Rd., just outside Peoria City Limits in 1944.

LONGSHORE PARK
Is on the upper river just past Peoria Heights.

TONTI
Was a "whistle stop" on the Rock Island Railroad near Tonti and was renowned as a notorious roadhouse.

SYLVAN PARK
Once a popular amusement place and ball field. It was above Perry Ave. near Lavielle.

LAKE VIEW PARK
Where auto and horse races were formerly run became a cirus grounds and later a factory site.

COWTOWN
Was a section near Glen Oak Park where a number of daires once stood.

SAND HILL
Was on the far South side in the lower part of the 8th Ward.

JACKSON"S CORNERS
The early name for the settlement at KNOXVILLE and MCCLURE Aves.. It was named for the blacksmith shop and general store operated by a Mr. Jackson.

MECHANICSVILLE
Was a section to the West of what is now Sheridan Ave. (Formerly ELIZABETH ST.) and North of Richmond Ave where a group of mechanics first bulit their small homes.

CINDER POINT
Was at the foot of Stranger St.

FLATBOAT City
Was a part of Cinder Point.

SLOPTOWN
The distillery district at the foot of South St. was symbolized by a home- owner lugging a bucket of disterillery slop to his hogs.

NO MAN'S LAND
Was an unclaimed strip of land between the City of Peoria and South Peoria. It was known as a legally safe haven for law-breakers fleeing from the police of either city/village.

BLUMTOWN
Was named after "old Man" Blum, a nestor of lower Bond St. .

TURTLE ISLAND
Was at the foot of Caroline St. before it was dregged.

PLUM POINT
Is the current Water Works Point.

CENTRAL PARK
Was used to house the sulfur ponds(currently City Link Bus Station) and beer gardens.

GYPSIE HILL
Was the Northeast corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Glen Oak Ave.

HAMILTON
William S. Hamilton came to Peoria in 1826 and was the youngest son of Alexander Hamilton, the financier of the Revolutionary War and slain by Aaron Burr in a duel. Young Hamilton came up the Mississippi River to the Illinois RIver and landed in Peoria. As an expert civil engineer, he drew up and presented a plat of a survey of a section [approx. 160 acres]. This plat laid out 16 blocks and its principle street still bears his name.

WATER ST.
Named because it fronted the Illinois River.

PERRY AVE.
Named after Commodore Perry who won a naval victory on Lake Erie in the War of 1812.

 

 

 

 

Home  |  Landmarks


Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails

All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.