Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
From the Glasford Gazette, Sep 1949
Contributed by Karen Seeman
Re-published with permission.
Glasford Public Schools are Among Best
Brief Histories Tell of Building of Schools, Modern Equipment, Full Faculties
TIMBER TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL GROWN RAPIDLY
The earliest of the High School's records show that some students were being taught high school subjects in conjunction with the Grade School as early as 1912.
In May, 1916, a petition for the organization of Timber Township High School was circulated by E. H. Fahnestock, Charles Scarcliff, L. A. Lightbody, Theo. Lightbody, and F. P. Riedelbauch.
On May 19, 1916 by a vote of 102 to 45 the township was organized into a high school district. On June 3rd, 1916, E. H. Fahnestock was elected president and G. C. Saylor, F. P. Riedelbauch, C. A. Davis, L. A. Lightbody, A. A. Tindall and James McCune were elected members of the Board of Education. Rooms were leased in the Glasford Grade School, which had just been completed, for conducting the High School. The High School continued to operate in space rented from the Grade School until the completion of the New High School in the fall of 1923. During the school year 1917 a Parent-Teachers Association was organized. There were at that time twenty-nine pupils enrolled, and four were graduated in the 1918 class. It was during this first year that the High School received probationary recognition from the state. In 1902 (typographical error??) the school was placed on the recognized list by the school inspector, Mr. Hanna. It has been a recognized school in all of the years since that time.
During the year 1920 there was some agitation for a new high school building. An article by Mr. H. J. Fuller favoring the construction of a new high school building appeared in The Gazette. A number of citizens meetings was held to boost the construction of a new high school. In 1921 an election was held for issuing $48,000 in bonds to construct a building. Construction of the building began in May 1922. It was in September 1923 that the building was completed, and the high school was moved to the new building at that time. At that time there were ninety-two students enrolled, which shows that the enrollment had more than trebled in the years from 1916 to 1923.
During the years that followed new courses and equipment were added as the school grew. In 1924 a fourth teacher was hired. In 1928 a fifth teacher was employed and a commerce department included in the program. In 1934 a sixth teacher was hired to make it possible to offer courses in both agriculture and clothing. A mixed chorus and band met regularly at this time, and private lessons in band were offered.
In 1935 transportation facilities were extended to the pupils of the school For a time only non-high school pupil were transported. It was in 1937 that the first bus was purchased. Transportation of pupils has been a part of the school's program since that time.
In 1938 an addition to the building was planned through the aid of The Federal Government. At that time the Federal Government would have paid 45% of the building cost. However, by the time that the grant was to have been allowed for the building of the addition to the High School all of the funds had been allocated to other projects, and Glasford discontinued the plans for an addition.
Two additions to the High School District have been made since the organization of the District. One addition was made in 1944 by a petition and an election. This addition consisted of portions of Logan, Limestone and Hollis townships. Another addition was made in 1948 as a result of the action of the School Survey Committee's work. This addition consisted of an area in Hollis and Limestone townships.
In 1945 a bond issue was floated for the addition to the building which is just now being completed. The addition gives room for a Vocational Agriculture Department with room for a farm shop. There is also a Homemaking Department which meets the standards of the Board for Vocational Education for homemaking departments. This will make it possible for the school to secure aid from the State and Federal Government in the operation of these two departments. There is also an office, a social science class room and two dressing rooms for physical education classes. This space makes it possible for the school to expand its offerings, and it will relieve the crowding that has been experienced in recent years.
At present nine teachers are employed. The courses offered include English, Mathematics, Physical Science, Biological Science, Social Science, Commerce, Agriculture, Homemaking, Choral Music, Band, Physical Education and a wife variety of extra-curricular activities.
A number of the leading citizens of the community have served on the Board of Education, and it is through their efforts that the school has grown to the place it now holds. Most of these men have served for a number of terms, and always have given liberally of their time to further the interests of the school. They are E. H. Fahnestock, G. C. Saylor, F. P. Riedelbauch, C. A. Davis, L. A. Lightbody, A. A. Tindall, James McCune, Chas. A. Duffield, John Clinebell, C. H. Northrup, Chas. Addy, Alva Scott, J. H. Parr, T. C. Brooks, J. G. Olson, Paul C. Smith, E. R. Lightbody, Jesse Romine, Dr. W. L. Lowery, Lloyd Whitlow, Thomas Seward, Walter Beecham, O. V. Haynes, Chas. Lightbody, Bert Maple, Thomas Scarcliff, Lester Johnson, N. L. Bateman, L. R. VanDeventer, Elmer Lighbody, Frank Hess, Russell Addy, L. E. Bateman, Fred Krause, Harry Bruninga, William Scott, Morris Rader, Leo Eisel, Russell Payne, Lloyd Looger, Jesse Huhn, Sam Kinglsey, Arthur Heltzel, Harvey Huey and Richard Schneblin.
The present faculty: Robert R. Banks, agriculture; Mrs. Gladys Blair, homemaking; Miss Elizabeth Coogan, science and girl's physical education; Dale Brown, mathematics and bus driver; Mrs. Helen Clauson, commerce; A. F. Meisinger, social science and coach; Mrs. Earlene Boggs, English; John Comerouski, band and vocal music; L. B. Jeckel, principal; Wm. Uphoff, janitor; Henry Wilson, bus driver.
GLASFORD GRADE SCHOOL
The first school house in this vicinity, with the exception of one at Lancaster, was built in 1830, on the land now owned by Ralph Jefford, east of Glasford. It was made of logs, of course, 16 x 24 feet, with a big fireplace in one end. The floor, seats and teacher's desk were made from logs split in halves. Above the teacher's desk one log was cut away and the hole covered with greased paper, making the only window.
Later there was a school built at Tichnor's Crossing, on the T. P. & W. Ry., north of the present Gus Olson farm.
There was also the Baty School at the Hootman's Corners, the four-corners north of Glasford on the present Lancaster street, and the Duffield School, west of the present Karstetter farm home, north of Glasford, on a road running east and west on the north side of the brick house which formerly stood there.
The first school house in Glasford was build in 1875.
It was a one-room school, and later another room was added on the rear.
By1902 the school had become so crowded it was necessary to build a small one-room building on the northeast corner of the school grounds.
The primary room had occupied the class room of the M. E. church the year previous.
In 1903 an election was called to vote on building a new school house, but the proposition was defeated.
In 1904 a bond issue of $4,500 was carried by a majority of ten votes. It was first planned to build a brick building but it was found that it would cost more than the bond issue would allow.
The old school building was bought by James Petty and John Friess, cut in two and moved up to Main street for store buildings. One half is now occupied by the Hinderliter apartments, and the other, on the corner now occupied by the Fahnestock Motor Co., was torn down.
In 1905 a 4-room, 2-story frame building was erected. It was a modern building for the times, containing basement, heating plant, cloak rooms, library, etc., costing $6,000, completed. Walter Eagles was the contractor.
On November 28, 1912, when only seven years old, the school building was destroyed by fire.
Immediately agitation was started for a brick building, and January 28, 1913, by a vote of 77 to 6, the district decided to build a $12,500 brick school house.
It cost more than that, and a number of citizens guaranteed the payment for finishing the building.
The present building has four commodious school rooms, two class rooms, principal's office, library, cloak rooms, with full basement and steam heating plant. Many other improvements have been added, including toilets in the basement.
At a special election held in 1922 the patrons of Glasford, Kingston Mines, Centennial, Cowser and Bateman School Districts voted, by a majority of 191, to consolidate. This district is now known as Community Consolidated District No. 205. Cowser and Bateman districts later withdrew but Cowser is again a member of the consolidated district.
At another special election held August 28, 1923, a bond issue of $7,000 for building a new school house at Kingston Mines was approved. The same night the old school house was mysteriously burned.
The present officers of District 205 are: President, Clyde Dorethy; secretary, John Kaufman; members, Lloyd Gouff, Arthur Bonk, John Kingsley, Albert Probyn and John Goetze.
The present faculty of Consolidated School Dist. No. 205, is: Principal Virgil Stanton, Buell McKee, Dorothy Walley, Madge Carlson, John Comerouski, music, Gladys Stanton, special teacher; total enrollment 124. Kingston Mines - Grace Baker, Idabelle Wright; enrollment 61.
Home | Schools
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.