Peoria County, Illinois  Genealogy Trails

 

 

Peoria County Schools

 

The first Peoria school in the American settlement period was taught by Peter Grant in 1821 or 1822.*

 

First School House in Peoria County

 

First Frame School

Washington below Chestnut

4th Ward School - First Brick School

 

 

Peoria's Schools - an article from 1896

Early Peoria Schools

 

 

 

BRADLEY UNIVERSITY

 

          - Bradley Polytech, 1900

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

         

          -Bradley Baseball & Basketball teams, 1921

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

           - Bradley Hall Fire, Photo 1, 2, 3, 1963.  Fire completely gutted the Hall the night of Saturday, January 12, 1963.  The wood floors caused the fire to spread rapidly.  The limestone walls were ice-covered.  (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 


 

PEORIA HIGH SCHOOL

 

           - Some Peoria High School History

 

          - First Peoria High School - Opened 1885 - Razed in 1916

              Located 300 Block NE Monroe at Fayette

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - 1902 Peoria High School Annual excerpts

                       (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - 1915 Peoria High School Class Photo

                        (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - 1923 Peoria High School "Opinion" excerpts

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - 1920 Peoria High School "Crest" excerpts

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - Peoria High School History (written 1930)

                       (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - 1930 Peoria High School Senior Class

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - 1932 Peoria High School "Crest" excerpts

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - 1933 Peoria High School Faculty & Seniors

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

         - 1950-51 Directory

 


 

MANUAL HIGH SCHOOL

Built in 1907, Closed in 1963

 

          - Manual High School photo, 1909

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

          - Manual High School photo, 1914

                        (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Manual High School, Class of 1924

          - Heinie Jacobs, Cheerleader

         - 1924 Basketball Team

         - 1924 Baseball Team

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

          - 1934 "The Mirror"

        - 1950-51 Directory

 

 


 

E. N. WOODRUFF HIGH SCHOOL

 

          - 1939 High School photo

          - 1939 Faculty & Class listing

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

         - 1950-51 Directory

 


ROOSEVELT JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL

 

          - 1950-51 School Directory

                                 

        


TREWYN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL

 

          - 1950-51 School Directory

 

 


 

        

 

 

                        

          - 2nd Ward School - 1868 - 1899.  Located 6th & Monroe

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Averyville School - Razed May 1966. 

              Was located at 3002 N. Adams

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Blaine-Sumner School

             1950-51 School Directory

 

          - Calvin Coolidge School

             1950-51 School Directory

 

          - Columbia School,  1910

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Douglas School,  1926.  SW Reed

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

             1950-51 School Directory

 

          - Edwards School

 

          - Franklin School, 1890

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Garfield School

            -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Glen Oak Grade School

            -1950-51 Directory

   

          - Greeley School

            -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Green Bush School, 1912

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Harrison School, 1960.  Built in 1901

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

            -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Irving School

             -1950-51 Directory

          

          - Jefferson School

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Kingman High School

              The front was the original school, built in 1902

              The rear portion was constructed in 1909

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Kingman High School Alumni Listing 1906 - 1928

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Lee School, 1920.  Martin Street.

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Lincoln School, 1900

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Longfellow School

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Loucks School, 1920

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

             -1950-51 Directory

         

          - Matthew Heneberg Memorial School, 1921

              This school was attached to St. John's Parish

 

          - McKinley School, 1939

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Old Cottage School House

              razed and replaced by Longfellow School

       

          - Park School, 1885 - 1914.  Later became Peoria High

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Pettengill Female Seminary, 1900

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

         

 

 

 

 

Academy of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart

 

Peoria Musical College

 

Peoria Musical College Graduates, 1912-1917

 

Pekin School of Music

 

Schools and Teachers of Early Peoria

 

1935 Class Photo - Old Centennial School

 

1929 Commencement for Rural and Village Schools

 

Jubilee College State Historical Site

 

Bishop Chase & Jubilee College

 

Schools Traced From Log Cabin to Present Capabilities

 

Misc. Newspaper Articles

 

Sterling Merit Award Winners

 

1896 Board of School Inspectors

 


 

         - Reservoir School - razed

              Was located SW corner London and Columbus

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

             -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Sacred Heart School, 1930

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - St. Bernard's School, 1930

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

         

          - St. Cecilia's School, May 1930

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - St. Mark's School, May 1930

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - St. Mary's Catholic School, 1947

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

         - Stone School, W of Trivoli,  Illinois

 

         - Tyng School

            -1950-51 Directory

 

         - Von Steuben School

            -1950-51 Directory

 

 

          - Sumner School, 1885

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

 

          - Washington School, 1890

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

            -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Webster School

            -1950-51 Directory

 

          - White School, 1902.  Pennsylvania & Peoria St.

                         (contributed by Steve Slaughter)

            -1950-51 Directory

 

          - Whittier School

            -1950-51 Directory

 


 

PRINCEVILLE SCHOOLS

 

          - Princeville High School Alumni, through 1955

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 

 


 

BRIMFIELD SCHOOLS

 

          - Brimfield High School Alumni, through 1946

                        (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 


 

GLASFORD SCHOOLS

 

          - History of Glasford & Timber Twp. Schools

                      (contributed by Karen Seeman)

 


CHILLICOTHE SCHOOLS

 

          - Chillicothe, One-Room Schoolhouse, 1902

 

          - Chillicothe, 1886 Country School Class Photo

 

 

 

* from the Peoria Journal Star, Jan. 3, 1956, p. A-7

 

 

Home

Photos on this page courtesy of Steve Slaughter, used with permission
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.