Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
Photos and information courtesy of Steve Slaughter
The Interurban Trains
Interurban Car #387 crossing the Illinois River, 1935
The Interurban trains were a division of the Illinois Terminal Rail Road. These train/trolley cars allowed passengers to move freely from Peoria to East Peoria, Pekin, Bloomington, Lincoln, Springfield, Galesburg, etc.
The Illinois Terminal Station was located on S. Adams St and after the station closed, it became the central Peoria Police Station. But from the late 1800's through the mid 1940's, these train cars ran to small towns for pennies. They crossed on McKinley Bridge, just South of the Toledo, Peoria & Western Rail Road bridge. Both of the rail bridges were immediately south of the Franklin Street Bridge (aka: Lower Free Bridge). All 3 were within 1000 feet of each other.
UPDATE: Summer 2007:
The McKinley Bridge was razed in the mid 1940's when Peoria's streetcars stopped running.
The TP&W Railroad Bridge was razed in the 1980's.
The Franklin St. Bridge was razed in the 1990's and has been replaced by the Bob Michael Bridge of modern design.
Home | Transportation
Peoria County, IL Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2011 by Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.