"The Barry Adage" - Next Page - 2
BY WAY OF PREFACE
The Illustrated Adage goes forth today without the flourish of trumpets or high sounding eulogy on the part of the publisher. It is not issued as a boom edition nor as a money maker; it is neither. The object is to advance the interests of our city in an honorable way and show its steady and substantial growth. There is not a line of paid advertising in the entire edition. It has been the aim of the publisher to include all classes of business, societies, etc., and if a person has been overlooked, who should not have been, it is to be regretted. In an undertaking of this kind errors will creep in and the absolute correctness of every detail cannot be vouched for. The arrangement of the pictures also may be observed to be a little defective, but as that was the fault of parties who were late in providing the electrotypes we are not assuming that responsibility. The work has been laborious and expensive, but with the hearty encouragement given by the citizens we consider it worth all it has cost us.
What Thrift and Enterprise has Done for A Leading Pike County Town.
Review of Its Educational, Religious, Social and Commercial Advantage
Should Rev. Daniel Edwards and Mr. Hadley come to Barry today they would realize a change had come over the country since they last saw it. These men were the first white settlers in the borders of Barry township. When they located here in 1824 a beautiful scene was presented to their view. Nature was in all its glory. Not a furrow of virgin soil had been turned nor a shanty erected except the rude wigwams of the redmen who roamed at will over fertile prairies and through the pleasant groves. They could not have selected a more desirable place of abode. Rich in the fertility of soil, in forests and in running streams, it was all the pioneers hearts could fancy. It possessed many of the charms that were likely to attract attention and receive the favor of those seeking new homes in a new country fine timber, high rolling land, running water and the absence of all those things which were popularly supposed to produce prevalent sickness in a new settlement. It was literally a land of milk and wild honey. But the glory was not to be for them alone. Others learned of the advantages offered by the new country and sought its peaceful borders. Josiah and Wm. Lippincott, Mr. Peabody, Stephen R. Gray, Mr. Rush, Burton T. Gray, Levi McDaniel, Benj. Barney, Dr. A.C. Baker, Rev. Wm. Blair, Elijah McAtee, Alfred Grubb, Jos. McIntire, Thos. McIntire, Hesekia McAtee, John Millhizer, and others drifted to the new land of promise and found homes. Immigration continued until settlements sprung up, and the populous and wealthy township as it is today, with its magnificent farms, splendid orchards and prosperous citizens followed as night follows day.
The beautiful City of Barry is situated on the eastern border of Barry township on an eminence commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. For miles either way is presented as lovely a picture as the eye ever beholds. Barry came into existence in the boom days in Illinois. It was laid out by Calvin R. Stone, of the firm of Stone, Field & Marks of St. Louis. The work was executed on the 4th day of July in the year 1836. It was a sort of Fourth of July celebration on a small scale and with few fire crackers and fire works. The place was christened Worcester, but it was learned there was another place of the same name in the state and Mrs. B.D. Brown was given the honor of selecting a new name for the village. She chose the name of her Vermont home, Barre. An error was made in recording it and the name was spelled Barry, by which title the place has ever since been known.
Barry had its seasons of prosperity and adversity, but she lived and prospered. Today it is a splendid little city of 1500 inhabitants, large business interests, beautiful residences and an excellent grade of society. It is a live progressive town. While it cannot be said Barry is a wealthy place, it is equally true that many of its citizens use their means to the best possible advantage in the way of public enterprise.
The past few years have brought numerous public improvements, such as paved streets, improvements to the water system, new buildings, street lighting and sidewalk privileges.
Bartlett and Bendsong, who were employed in platting Barry, were the first merchants of the place. They kept a small store in a log cabin. Henry Whitmore and Theo. Digby were also of the early storekeepers, and later on Thos. T. Gray, E. Hurt and M. Blair were engaged in business here. Then followed Lewis Angle, C. & S. Davis, W.F. White and other merchants known to the present generation. There is quite a contrast between the business houses of the present and most of them are built of brick. There are seven blocks of business houses, on three principal streets. Unlike many towns business in Barry is not confined to the blocks facing the public park. Only the west and north sides are those favored. The other two sides have residences facing the park. Barry to-day is a commercial centre of the county. Every line of trade is well represented and the competition is especially active. There are more large and complete stocks in Barry than any town of its size in Western Illinois, and the trade is proportionate.
In social, educational and religious matters Barry compares favorably with its larger sister cities. There is a good healthy moral sentiment, the schools are large and well conducted and the churches have an excellent membership, three of the religious denominations having just passed through successful ingatherings of souls. The temperance sentiment of our city is also strong. Of the past decade, most of the time we have had no saloons. Occasionally when the anti-license element becomes inactive saloons are secured.
For many years of its existence Barry was known as a dry place, from the fact that water was a scarce article here. We had wells and cisterns to be sure, but they fell very far short of furnishing a sufficient supply of water for the town. It was hen that the water hauler had his palmy days. Something like a half dozen of them had their water boxes and made regular and frequent trips between town and the Hart spring. During particularly dry seasons water hauling was a big business. But all that had its day. With characteristic enterprise our citizens sank artesian well in 1879. The contract went to Marrs & Miller of Chicago, who had a force of hands at the work several months. The well was sunk to the depth of 2510 feet and cost complete about $10,000. It has ever since furnished an abundant supply of water for both man and beast. The water comes to within 300 feet of the surface of the ground and is pumped by steam engine into a reservoir. We now have no trouble about a supply of water. In addition to the deep well a score of others have been sunk about town and all are furnishing plenty of water.
The exciting days of the war were felt here. The country was over-run with bush-whackers, as they were called from Missouri, and depredations were rife. But our citizens were equal to the emergency, and with a united effort and organization protection was secured. The means adopted were not always of the most approved style, but they were effective. Patriotism ran high and Barry contributed its full quota of soldier boys. How many of her brave sons answered to the countrys call, we cannot state, but there were many of them and they participated in many of the hardest battles. Some of them survived the fierce conflict and were enabled to return to their families; others were doomed to a soldiers fate. They fought a good fight and nothing our nation can give them is too good for these veterans.
Picture of Barry in 1855 page 3
The village of Barry was incorporated in 1856. The first Board consisted of M. Widby, president, and B.T. Gray, Jas. Yancy, Joseph Rippey, A. Grubb, Lewis Angle and Schuyler Gray.
In 1872 Barry was organized as a city with E.R. Burnham, mayor, J.R. Rowand, J. Weber, N.R. Davis, Mat Peterson, S. Mors and Jas. Watson, aldermen; C.C. Roasa, clerk; W.I. Klein, attorney; J.C. Brown, treasurer; J. Whittleton, marshal, and J.E. Haines, street commissioner.
The present administration is composed of T.A. Retallic, mayor; John Weber, B.H. Rowand, C.E. Bower, J.H. Kirby, E. L. Penner and H. L. Langerhans, aldermen; J. B. Hazen, clerk; L. F. Bright, treasurer; W. I. Klein, attorney; R. St. John marshal and street commissioner, Wm. Lewis, city engineer.
Thos. A. Retallic,
mayor, was born in Perry county, Ohio, in 1854. His father gave his life for the preservation of the Union. Our subject is a self-made man. He has served with credit in the city council several terms and his administration as mayor has been an able one. He came to Barry in 77. As proprietor of the marble works he has done a lucrative and prosperous business.
John H. Weber,
alderman, is a native of St. Louis, Mo. He was born of German parentage in 1843. In 1866 he was married to Rose High and to them four children were born. Mr. Weber has followed successfully farming, school teaching, and mercantile interests. He is present in the lumber trade, being a partner in the firm of Weber & Day. He is also an auctioneer of note. Mr. Weber has always taken an active interest in all affairs of a public nature and has served on the council several times. He is aggressive and enthusiastic, and withal a valuable citizen.
B. H. Rowand,
alderman, is an old citizen of Barry. For thirty years he has been a salesman in our dry goods and clothing stores. At present he is in the drug trade. Mr. Rowand was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1844 and came here with his parents when a boy. He was married in 1867 to Lottie Gray, who died in 1891, and in September, 1892, he took his second wife in the person of Ella H. McClain. He has one child by the first marriage, who is the wife of Lieut. J. T. Nance now stationed at Yellowstone national park. Mr. Rowand is an active member of the council and a most useful citizen.
Charles Edward Bower,
alderman, is a retired farmer and in good circumstances. He comes from London, Ohio, where he first saw the light in 1833. He went to California during the gold excitement in 1852, and was there on a visit in 1879. In 1857 he was married to Miss B. A. Wright. They have six children. Mr. Bower moved to Barry in 86 from his farm and takes life easy.
J. H. Kirby,
alderman, has served in the council two terms and has made a conservative painstaking official. He is a native of Sheffield, Mass., where he was born in 1866. He was married in this city in 1890 to Lillie L. Lyons. Mr. Kirby is assistant manager of the Barry Milling Co. and is their bookkeeper.
E. L. Penner,
alderman, has made one of the most active members of the council. Policy with him is a secondary consideration. He has the courage of his convictions and stands by them. He is just closing his first term of alderman.
H. L. Langerhans,
alderman, was elected last year and he is proving the right man in the right place. He took hold of the work with a will and attends to his duties conscientiously. He is head miller for the Barry Milling Co. Mr. Langerhans is from Jefferson City, Mo., where he was born in 1866. He came to Barry in 88. In 1894 he was married to Mattie lane. They have an elegant home which Mr. Longerhans built in 1894.
Attorney W. I. Klein
Supervisor, Wm. Bright; assessor, N. P. Hart; clerk, Frank Shelly; justice of the peace, G. W. Chrysup, J. K. Crawford; police magistrate, A. H. Bain; constables, W. J. Pence, W. H. Grubb; highway commissioners, A. W. Triplett, John Lippincott and Peter Staff; school trustee, William Myers, Geo. W. Perry, A. B. Call; school treasurer, Eugene Smith; pound-masters, J. Vanneman, R. D. Bower, John Gunlock.