New Barry M. E. Church Dedicated Last Sunday - New $40,000 Edifice Completed on Saturday, February 9th. - Historical Sketch of Old Church; Description of New Building
Photos and Article contributed by Margaret Rutledge
After weeks of toil and labor and anxious waiting the Methodists of Barry and vicinity have come into their own. Their new house of worship is completed and ready for use. It has been a long hard pull for many of the church adherents, but they feel the results achieved are worth all their efforts. They now have something to be proud of. For years it has been felt by the membership that a new building was needed. The old structure, built some seventy-two years ago, while it had not outlived its usefulness, showed deterioration. Then its capacity was not equal to the growing congregation and Sunday school. For years each succeeding preacher on the charge attempted to interest the people in a new church but until 1923 the time never seemed opportune to launch the movement. Following the successful revival last spring, when a large addition was made to the membership roll and interest was strong, and the fact that a brother had made a substantial benefaction by will, the movement was started. It was sanctioned by the official board at its meeting April 15, 1923. Pledge taking began at once and met with a surprisingly hearty response. From then on the project moved rapidly forward. July 20th 1923, the contract was let and on August 20th, the brick work began, the concrete foundation having previously been built, and from then on the work of construction went forward with few interruptions to completion, which was accomplished by February 1st, 1924. The church is modern, substantial and well appointed. It is a worthy successor to that historic and glorified shrine at which many generations of our citizens have humbled themselves, and the change is not made without feeling of regret by those accustomed to assembling within its walls. It will long be remembered for its associations.
Last Sunday was a memorable day in the history of Barry Methodist Episcopal church. It marked probably the most noteworthy event in its existence - the consecration and dedication of its new house of worship. The day was delightful and seemed designed for the joyful occasion. Three wonderful services were held during the day and evening, all of which attracted large congregations. A magnificent floral display ornamented the church altar. There were roses, carnations, Chinese lilies, white lilies, daffodils, tulips, sweet peas, etc., in profusion and the tasty arrangement and vases and baskets elicited the admiration of all present.
The morning service opened at 10:00 o'clock, with the prelude played by Miss Marjorie Berry, which was followed by the processional while the choir of thirty filed in and took their places in the choir loft. Hymn No. 180 "Coronation" was sung by the congregation. Prayer was offered by Dist. Supt. E. S. Combs/ The choir gave a beautiful anthem, "Hail Holy Lord," after which came the responsive reading led by Rev. W. M. Hailey, and followed by "Gloria Patria" sang by the choir and congregation. Rev. H. H. Waltmire read the announcements for the week. Ray Gleckler gave a very fine vocal solo entitled, "Leave It With Thee."
At this point the pastor introduced Bishop Thomas Nicholson, (in photo at left) who delivered the sermon. He took for his text, “What Think Ye of Christ.” – Matt. 22:42, and spoke for about an hour. His address was masterful, thoughtful and of especial interest. He has a well-modulated voice, speaks entertainingly, and at times eloquently. His mind is a storehouse of interesting experiences which he relates well. The sermon will long be remembered by his hearers. The Bishop was also quite complimentary of our new church and of the pastor, Rev. H. H. Waltmire. Following the sermon came the dedicatory offering. Dr. W. J. Davidson of Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Ill. presented the financial statement showing $17,000 would be needed to meet all bills, to lift the total unsettled accounts. He proved to be well adapted to the work and succeeded in securing pledges of $15,085 at this session. The meeting closed with the singing of the “Doxology” and the benediction.
The afternoon meeting was highly interesting and will mark an epoch in the church history. It was at this session that the consecration and dedicatory exercises took place as a climax to the successful financial campaign. When the morning session adjourned there remained to be raised to wipe out the indebtedness only the sums of $1915, and the congregation was elated over the good work done. A feeling of expectancy prevailed that the efforts would be successful and Dr. Davidson, when one started on the final efforts was not long in closing the money raising. When the announcement was made that the total amount was subscribed and the church would be free of debt, the pleasure and joy of the congregation was unbounded, and was manifested in praise songs, hand shaking, congratulations and other methods of jubilating. Such a scene was wonderfully inspiring and touched the hearts of all. It was particularly gratifying to those who had concluded that the church would be burdened for many years.
The afternoon program previous to the financial part was according to the printed program. It began at 3 o’clock, and following the prelude hymn No. 666 “We Reared not a Temple Like Judah’s of Old.” Was sung by the choir and congregation. The prayer was offered by Rev. Pilch of New Canton. “Lift, Lift the Gate,” a fine anthem, was sung by the choir. Rev. Hailey read the scripture selection. Prof. M. M. Blair, sang “The Recessional” by DeKoven, a very entertaining number. Bishop Nicholson delivered another strong and appealing sermon on the subject – “They That Wait Upon the Lord” – Isaiah 40:31, speaking an hour or more at this time. When he closed Mr. Davidson at once entered upon his part of the program and procured the rest of the pledges, which, including the $1.00 thank offerings collected amounted to $17,410.23 or $410.23 more than the amount asked for. After the jollifying over the success of the pledge taking, hymn No. 661, “Come On, Thou God of Grace,” was sung, after which the dedication service took place opening with the song “Joy to the World.” Responsive reading was led by Dr. Hyde Bishop Nicholson assisted by Dist. Supt.
Combs and Rev. Waltmire (at the left) conducted the services which were according to the rites of the church. At the close of the exercises the trustees of the church assembled at the altar and W. W. Watson, in behalf of the official board presented the church to the Bishop, who accepted it in his pleasing manner. The congregation then arose when the words of dedication were said, and responded to after each recital by the Bishop, “To Thee we dedicate this church.” This service closed with the song, “All Hail the Power of Jesus Name” by the choir and congregation.
Sunday evening meeting witnessed a fine service and called forth another large congregation. It was the first night service in the church and the illumination was quite attractive. Hymn No. 9, “Let All on Earth their Voices Raise” was sung by the choir and congregation following the prelude. Dr. Hyde offered the prayer. The evening anthem by the choir was “Rejoice in the Lord.” Rev. Tomlinson of New Salem read the scripture selection. A thank offering was taken. Ray Gleckler sang another excellent solo entitled “Leave It With Thee.” Rev. Waltmire made a few remarks in which he complimented the people on the success of building project and the pledge taking that day, and some of the brethren for the interest taken and labor performed in the work of constructing the church. Too many have devoted time and labor to mention names for fear of overlooking some that were entitled to credit.
Dr. E. S. Combs, (at the left) extended greetings to all interested in the church, and congratulated them on the successful completion of the work. He was quite complimentary and gave a very good address of perhaps twenty minutes. The evening sermon was by Dr. Davidson, who took for his theme “Is Not This the Carpenter,” text – Mark 6:3. He is a fluent talker and despite the strenuous work of the day, gave a stirring address, full of vim and vigor and worthy of the close attention he received from his hearers. Following the singing of hymn No. 315, “Nearer My God to Thee” by the congregation the service closed with the benediction by Dr. Davidson.
The Chorus Choir
The chorus choir that gave such excellent service Sunday and will be the same valuable aid this week and in the future is the object of many complimentary expressions from those who heard the fine music. The organization is the largest and probably the best trained of any choir in the church history. Prof. M. M. Blair, the leader, has devoted much time and effort in the work and has succeeded in developing some splendid voices. The following is the personnel of the choir: Prof. Blair, Mrs. Waltmire, Mrs. Harry Gleckler, Ivah Hoyt, Myrtle McAtee, Mollie Hamilton, Dr. Metta Collins, Nellie Kreider, Laura Callaway, Via Johnson, Via Wendorff, Mrs. O. S. Campbell, Laura Ogden, Adaline Torrens, Arnelia Clark, Carrie Bain, Mae McAtee, Kate Hess, Helen Kuntz, Jennie Gleckler, A. A. Kleinschmidt, J. H. Jones, Pine Johnson, Harry Johnson, Dr. W. W. Kuntz, Chas. Kuntz, Harry Gleckler, Ray Gleckler, O. L. Fitch, Cloyd Oitker, L. D. Evans. The pianist was Miss Marjorie Berry, a talented musician of our city and to her skill and devotion can be attributed much credit for the success of the organization.
The lovely flowers came through the kindness of several florists and friends of the church and the thanks of the society is due to the following: Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Moon and Mrs. Clara Davis, St. Louis, Mo., Mr. Heckenkamp, Quincy, Mr. Gentemann, Quincy, G. L. Kroner, Quincy, Hembruker-Cole, Springfield, Ill., Mr. Griffith, Hannibal, Mo., The Lion Club, Barry, G. L. Ware, personal, Same for Blackland-Weisland, St. Louis, Mo., L. J. Callaway, Barry
Not only were the flowers of the most beautiful sort, but the arrangement by the committee in charge, Mrs. Pearl Ware and Mrs. Laura Callaway, were especially attractive.
The pledges to the building fund were not the only favors the church received. It is the beneficiary of some very valuable gifts in addition, all of which are very acceptable and well appreciated. The list embraces the following:
A large and beautiful pulpit Bible from Rev. and Mrs. Waltmire.
The elegant pulpit, from Mrs. Kate Hess.
Communion table and stand from Mrs. Vie Johnson and son, Frank Albert in memory of her mother, Mrs. Ella Retallic.
Baptismal font, Mrs. Carrie E. Powell
Collection plates, Mrs. Isabelle Hart.
Desk and chair, for the pastor’s study, Mrs. Pearl Ware’s Sunday school class.
Revolving chair for pastor’s study, and desk equipment, G. L. Ware.
Desk cover for pastor’s stud, Mrs. Julia Clark.
An equipment for the ladies parlor, consisting of table, settee, chairs, etc., from some Quincy merchants.
Also a piano for this room donated by G. L. Ware
The week’s program opened with a devotional service Monday evening. There was a good attendance. The first part of the meeting was devoted to a song and praise service, which included numerous familiar church hymns and an anthem by the choir. The address of the evening was by Rev. W. M. Hailey, whose theme was “He That Spared Not His Own Son,” = Rom. 8:32. He spoke with his old time vigor and gave a good discourse, closing with the admonition to this congregation: “You now have a fine church see to it that your spiritual welfare is in keeping with it.”
During the service Rev. D. V. Gowdy and wife and Rev. D. F. Nelson arrived and were escorted to the rostrum midst a round of applause. Before the meeting closed a large portion of the congregation assembled around the altar and participated in an experience and thank service. After the meeting closed the congregation remained for an hour of sociability.
Last evening the service was for former pastors and their wives. Rev. D. V. Gowdy acted as chairman and gave an address in his own inimitable style following the singing of hymn No. 556 and the opening prayer. Remarks were also made by Rev. W. M. Hailey and the principal address was by Rev. D. F. Nelson, who was for three years pastor of the local church. He is a fine speaker and is always interesting. The congregation were glad to hear his voice again. The meeting closed with a social hour.
Wednesday night at 6:30 p. m. will be a home coming and banquet. Rev. D. F. Nelson acting as toastmaster, with the theme: Facing the New Work. Speakers – Ralph Funk, John Weber, Rev. N. R. Johnson, Rev. D. V. Gowdy, Rev. H. H. Waltmire. There will be music by a quartet and orchestra and a reading by Miss Nations.
Thursday evening at 7:30 in Parish House will be a social, recreation and games for young people.
On Friday evening at 7:30 in the Parish House, will be a social, recreation and games for adults.
The new building is a fine specimen of church architecture. Its style is what is known as modernized English gothic, and in general appearance is much like many of the modern city churches. It is constructed of wire cut hard brick of various shades of red color, is lined with hollow tile, and rests upon a substantial concrete foundation. The side walls are sixteen feet high, with high gables at each end, all trimmed with Bedford stone and coping of the same material. The roof rests on strong steel trusses, and the roof is of asphalt shingles of green color, all giving a very pleasing effect.
In size the main building is 36 x 72 feet with addition on the northwest, which forms a vestibule for entrance to the main auditorium, to Parish House, as the former auditorium is now known, and to the basement. There is also a vestibule on the northeast corner and that will probably be the principal entrance. The vestibule at the northwest is surmounted with the church belfry, 12 x 12 and about forty feet high, from which the old time and popular bell again sounds forth. At the rear of the church is the pastor’s room and at the southwest corner is another room that is used as an entrance for the members of the choir to assemble in. There is also an off set at the rear of the building that was added so that at any time a pipe organ is provided it can be located there. There are also two entrances at the rear, one of which leads to the basement as well as to the other departments.
Adjoining the new building on the west is the remodeled old part of the church, connected by folding doors, making it very convenient in accommodating extra crowds. This part of the building is 33 x 56 feet in size, has good high ceilings, is well lighted and will be used for Sunday school and recreation purposes, while the smaller room at the southwest, 22 x 40, remodeled and improved, will continue to be the home of the primary department of the Sunday school. Both rooms are roomy and pleasant.
The interior of the new edifice is even more elegant than the exterior. With an attractive high ceiling ornamented only by the encased supporting trusses giving it a massive appearance; the nicely sand finished walls, modern art glass windows, well carpeted floors, its newly polished pews, its handsome rostrum with its new and late designed pulpit, its fine oak finished choir chancel and its elegant lighting and heating systems, the auditorium may well be considered a model of elegance and beauty. The floors consist of an ordinary sub floor on which is laid quilted paper to deaden sound and covering this is the top floor of first quality quarter sawed yellow pine. The finish throughout the building is of yellow pine of first quality and oak, all stained and varnished. The art glass windows are of modern design, but are not unduly elaborate. At the front of the room is a very large and handsome window, with small windows at either side; on the east are four large and attractive windows, and on the west is one window of the same design. All of these are memorial windows. The front window is dedicated to Wm. B. and Carrie E. Powell, the north window on the east side to Dr. J. G. and Malinda McKinney, the next to the Primary Department, Mrs. Margaret A. Watson, Superintendent; the next to Wm. Jr. and Millie Hoyt; next to George H. and Elizabeth Johnson; the large window on the west to Wm. W. and Roxie Guss and daughter Eva, and one of the small windows on the north to Robert Amrine. All but the last named person were long identified with the church. The window in the pastor’s room is dedicated to Rev. H. H. Waltmire, to whose efforts is due largely the building of the new edifice. A tablet is also to be placed on the wall of the auditorium as a tribute to Orlando Havird, deceased, and Nellie Havird for their generous contribution to the building fund.
Under the entire new building is a basement that is designed for much usefulness. It has a ceiling of good height, art glass windows, is finished in white with slate colored trimming on the lower walls, has plenty of light, and on the south end is a nice sized room arranged for a ladies headquarters. The kitchen is at the northwest corner. The rest of the basement will be used for banquets or other purposes. The heating plant is located in the basement of the old part.
The entire building represents an investment of about $40,000.
The building of the new structure was under the supervision of a building committee consisting of Rev. H. H. Waltmire, T. A. Retallic, J. Weber, O. Williamson, A. J. Hamilton, H. Horn, W. W. Watson, T. J. McVay and Ralph Funk.
The architect was Chas. F. Wheeler of Chicago, prominent in building affairs in that city. He proved himself to be a very competent and conscientious supervisor and the church is a monument to his skill and efficiency.
Burgher Brothers of Hannibal were the general contractor. They faithfully carried out their agreements and were considerate at all times of the interests of the church, as well as fair and reliable in their dealings. Fortunately for them and the church they surrounded with a corps of competent and faithful assistant superintendents of departments or sub contractors, who were most agreeable and accommodating and a pleasure to deal with as follows:
George Williams, brick and stone work.
B. Glueck, carpentering and joiner work.
E. M. Bowers, plastering
J. H. Rosser, painting.
Mr. Deeter, tin work.
The contract for the art glass went to the Temple Art Glass Company of Chicago.
Harlan Horn had charge of the concrete work; John Lamp, heating system; Alva Kaylor, electrical lighting system. These were home men and did excellent work.The Old Church
It was designed by Chas. Howland of Quincy, Ill. in the year 1850, and stands on Lots 3 and 4, in Block 26, in the original town of Worcester, now the City of Barry, which lots were bought from Amos Emerson for $50. The original structure was “36 feet wide, 56 feet deep, 2 stories high, with a belfry, steeple and vane.” It was built of brick, and was to be completed by July 1, 1851, “provided the brick was were up by May 1, 1851.” There is no record of the contract for the masonry work, and all who were employed and the committee who supervised the job have long since passed from earth. The best evidence obtainable is that James B. Allen, Abram Badgley, and other masons of that day were employed. The contract for the carpenter and joiner work and the painting is still among the church papers. It shows that on December 30, 1850 the trustees – Thomas Hull, Samuel H. Nesmith, Benj. F. Brownell, Wm. Hoyt, Alfred Grubb, Joel Shepherd and Dennis Badgley – awarded this part of the work to Schuyler Gray for $1400. There was a delay in the construction and the contractor was granted an extension of time until April 1852, with the proviso that the society should have the privilege of dedicating the church and of using it before it was fully finished. Some difficulty was experienced in settling on the contract and an arbitration was resorted to, the arbiters being B. D. Brown, A. Grubb and Wm. Hoyt, who awarded the contractor $1250. Nothing among the papers relates to the dedication of the building, but it is safe to conclude that function took place in proper form and with due solemnity during the ministry of M. Shunk.
In 1876 the church was remodeled and improved. This was during the ministry of Rev. T. I. Coultas and during the time services were held in the old town hall, owned by Messrs. Davis and White, which was situated on Lot 1, Block 18. A new front was built, steeples were added, new seats provided, and the general appearance of the church was materially improved.
In 1896-7 the addition known as the “lecture room” was added, thanks to the benefaction of Mrs. Harriet Cleveland. Again in 1915 the interior of the structure was re-decorated and improved.
Such is the brief history of this notable building that for seventy-two years has weathered the storms and the elements. It was not an object of architectural beauty; it did not represent a lavish expenditure of money. It was a monument to the fidelity of a few devout people.Barry M. E. Episcopal Church History
It was in the early Thirties that an organization was formed which finally, in 1838, by sacrifice and labor, secured a place of worship – a small frame building which stood at the northeast corner of the block known as Church Square, in the northwest part of Barry. Here those good people assembled for worship for several years under the leadership of one of their number. There was only occasionally a regular preacher. This building was sold to George D. Mayes when the new brick structure was built and was used by him for a carpenter shop. It was finally wrecked to make way for the march of progress.
By 1847 the society became strong enough to command the attention of the church leaders of those days and at the conference of that year there was established what was known as Barry Circuit of the Griggsville District of Illinois Conference, with Rev. J. C. Pinchard and S. Shaw as “circuit riders.” This circuit continued until 1872 and during that time was served by the following preachers”
1847 – J. C. Pinchard, H. S. Shaw.
1848 – J. B. Houts.
1849 – W. Wilson.
1850-1 – M. Shunk.
1852-3 – B. F. Northcott.
1854 – D. H. Hatton.
1855 – J. P. Dimmitt, S. McCall.
1856 – W. M. Reed.
1857-8 – R. Chapman
1859 – W. M. Read.
1860-1 – W. M. Evans
1862 – W. H. Taylor.
1863-4 – C. Powell.
1865 – T. J. Bryant.
1866-8 – Henry Wilson.
1868-9 – J. W. Sinnock.
1870 – T. S. Johnson.
1871-2 – W. J. Newman.
Of the above list of ministers none are now living so far as is known here.
The early church records are not available, having been lost or mislaid, but the proceedings of the official boards since 1856 are fairly well preserved and from these pages some interesting items have been noted. When Barry circuit was established it embraced a territory perhaps twenty miles square and included Akers Chapel, Shilo, Northcott, Long S. H., Barry, Philadelphia, Shaw’s, Washington (now El Dara), Canton (now New Canton_, Kinderhook and Elm Grove – eleven appointments, and quarterly meetings were passed around to many of these points. Services, of course, could not be held often at any point, but the preacher did his best and kept going. Rev. J. P. Dimmitt was placed in charge of the work in 1855 and 1856, and he found his energies so taxed that he called for help and was given an assistant in the person of Rev. S. McCall. At the close of the year the finances were very low and both preachers were gracious enough to relinquish one-fourth of their scanty salaries for the good of the cause. At the quarterly conference that year A. T. Orr, Wm Hoyt Sr., and B. F. Brownell successfully passed the “character examination” and later were licensed as local preachers. Rev. Orr afterward entered the ministry and became a presiding elder. At this time there were two Sunday schools in the district and 34 officers and teachers, 150 scholars, 3 bible classes and one “infant class” of 26.
Rev. Dimmitt in later years became prominent in church affairs; and was a presiding elder for two term, and died at Jacksonville, Ill., Oct. 29, 1895. Rev. McCall, his assistant, died at Decatur, Ill., Oct. 16, 1883.
The next preacher to come on the circuit was Rev. W. M. Read, who came in 1856. He was allowed as a salary $246 for “table expenses” and $280 for “quarterage.” M. A. Hewes was his assistant and received $75 for his services. That year the official board decided “to use their best endeavors to meet expenses without taking public collections.” Amounts were apportioned to the different charges to raise, which fell to the “class leaders” of the different communities to collect. Barry’s share was $203, and the “leaders” who did the collecting were: John Robers, $90; J. McIntire, $26; Alex. Early, $45; N. Hankins, $16; S. F. Spalding, $16.
In the fall of 1857 Rev. R. Chapman came and remained two years. He was to have $275 for “table expense” and $200 for “quarterage.” By this time interest had developed in the Sunday school work and five schools were reported – one each at Barry, Shilo, Akers Chapel, Kinderhook and Washington – “all prospering.” A Sunday school convention was held and it was decided to hold a camp meeting at Akers Camp Ground. That year, also, Barry circuit was found to be large and unwieldy and it was decided to divide it – “Barry to retain the parsonage and Kinderhook to have the camp ground.” The new circuit was composed of Barry, Northcott, Washington, New Canton, Shaws and Johnson’s S. H. Bro. J. F. Phillips was licensed to preach, and Alex Early was elected superintendent of the Sunday school. At the close of the conference year there was as usual a shortage in the preacher’s salary, but, says the record, “in pursuance to arrangements the stewards met at Barry and by a desperate effort raised the deficiency and paid the preacher.” In May, 1858, David Rippey and Alex Early were elected delegates to a Sunday school convention at Payson, Rev. Chapman died at Mt. Sterling, Ill., Nov. 7, 1892.
Rev. W. M. Read was returned to the circuit in 1859 and remained one year. That year Barry Sunday school was reported to be “doing well – in fact very well.” There were 17 officers and teachers, 45 male scholars, 40 female scholars, 15 in the “infant class” and 2 bible classes. The preacher reported the work in a “tolerable good condition; he had had some precious seasons trying to preach during the past quarter; regretted that his health had been poor, and that the brethren had not provided for his wants as they had promised to do.” The official board voted to hold a camp meeting and selected Wm. Hoyt, Sr., and B. F. Brownell to act with others in preparing the ground for the event. They also decided that “members on this circuit are expected to pay their quarterage in the class where they belong when the estimate is made.” Approval was given of a lecture by R. W. Travis on “Articles of Religion” and he was requested to furnish said lectures and publish them as soon as convenient. David Gay asked for and received a recommendation as a traveling preacher. There was also troublesome times for some of the members that year and numerous complaints were smoothed out by the “leaders.” Rev. Read died at Mattoon, Ill., Aug. 2, 1902, and his assistant in former years, Rev. M. Hewes, died at Quincy, Ill., Mar. 19, 1904.
Rev. W. M. Evans was sent here in 1862, and remained two years. He was one of the “war preachers” and he soon discovered that his lot had not been cast in pleasant places. He reported a “general declination of religion almost all over the circuit, owing to the disturbed condition of the country.” There was a general financial depression and church finances suffered as well as others. Rev. Evans died at Pulaski, Ill., Feb. 29, 1868.
The next preacher was Rev. W. H. Taylor. He was here one year, and was followed by Rev. C. Powell, who held forth in 1863-4. He seemed to be too strong of a Union advocate for the brethren at Washington and they preferred charges against him. War excitement was still on. An investigation was made and the committee to whom it was referred decided that the preacher had made some “general remarks relating to our National struggle in the present war, expressing his sympathies in favor of the Union, and that there was no ground for the complaint.”
In 1865 Rev. T. J. Bryant was sent. His career was short, but turbulent, and during his ministration a case developed that threatened the life of the society. It was that of Rev. Bryant vs. Charles Mason, a local preacher of that day, who had made uncomplimentary remarks regarding the other minister. Interest ran strong in the affair, several church hearings were held and there was quite a division of sentiment. Rev. Bryant quit his work in the middle of the year. The case was finally settled by the decision of the committee – Alex. Early, Joseph Rippey, W. K. Gibson, Ed. Williams, L. H. Callaway, Wm. Jennings, H. Brownell, Wm. Hoyt, Sr, C. S. Allen, John Rippey, and Wm. Hoyt, Jr. – who voted that Mr. Mason “be suspended from all ministerial functions for the space of six months.” S. H. Harshman filled out the unexpired term at $60 per month. Rev. Bryant died at Versailles, Ill, Mar. 7, 1893.
At the conference of 1866 sufficient influence was brought to bear to have Barry made a “station.” And Rev. Henry Wilson was appointed to the charge. He was here two years and had a very successful pastorate. Following him came J. W. Sinnock for the term of three years. He was in poor health, but did good work and managed to complete his term, leaving in 1872. It was during his first year that the charge was saddened by a fatal runaway accident that occurred near this city, in which Rev. E. Elliott, the then presiding elder, lost his life. He was a very popular official and the calamity cast a gloom over the entire district.
In 1869 there was an agitation among the members of the church for representation in the annual conference. I was finally put to vote. L. H. Callaway and. W. Blades were tellers. Those voting in the affirmative were Mariah Gray, Mary Jones, L. G. Askew, W. Hoyt Sr., Wm. Jennings, W. K. Gibson, Wm. Hoyt Jr., Bryant Gibson, Jared Phillips, L. H. Callaway, Morris Hammond, James H. Talbert, Caroline Hollembeak, John Nickerson, Lewis McDonald, Jones A. Early, J. Rippey, D. R. Scott, C. S. Allen, Geo. D. Mayes, Ada Early, Lizzie Phillips, Nancy Phillips, Emma Grubb, E. Taylor, Lucinda Butter, M. R. Sinnock, Rosa Lear, Al Day, S. B. Day, Sue Donivan, J. A. Blades, Mary Nickerson, Lizzie Hoyle, Emma Talbert, M. Rider, Ina Hart, M. A. Rippey, Ed Williams, E. J. Grubb. Nine voted against the proposition. It carried and Wm. Hoyt, Sr. was elected delegate to the next conference.
At the fourth quarterly conference in 1969 the members gave their disapproval of the “acts of those brethren who during the summer cut, shocked and stacked wheat on the Sabbath, or who spent the day visiting or at home watching bees.” David Rippey was the church sexton.
Rev. R. Hannold served two years in 1872-3. The church then had 138 members and 10 probationers. An extremely severe winter interfered with the church and Sunday school work. Rev. Honnold died at Camp Point, Ill., July 14, 1876.
The preacher in 1873 was Rev. J. G. Bonnell, who served until the following year and resigned. He was here at a favorable time, apparently as his report spoke of the Father “sending fruitful rain and growing sunshine until the fields almost groan beneath their burdens. While other sections were parched by drouth or devastated by armies of chinch bugs or marauding grasshoppers, our own vicinity has been spared. Never, perhaps, have we had a more bountiful year.” The work was then taken up by Rev. Hiram Gilmore, as a supply, but he, too, soon gave it up, in May 1875, and Rev. T. I. Coultas, a young minister took his place. He was a brilliant fellow and soon won his way into the hearts of his brethren, remaining until the fall of 1877. At this time the official board consisted of Geo. D. Mayes, A. J. Bodine, T. J. Long, E. W. Blades, J. W. Hudson, Wm. Hoyt Jr., J. G. McKinney and E. Camp. Rev. Bonnell is still in fair health and lives in Reno, Nev. Rev Gilmore passed away some years ago, and so far as is known here Rev. Coultas is still living in the East.
During the 1873 the envelope system of paying weekly quarterage was introduced, but it was soon abandoned as impractical. That year also the ladies of the church received a vote of thanks “for their valuable aid in contributing to the improvement of our pulpit.”
Rev. J. B. Seymour came in the fall of 1877 and served two years. He was a very genial gentleman and formed many friendships. A successful revival meeting was held during his ministration and 33 members were added to the roll. He died at El Paso, Tex., Dec. 27, 1894.
Rev. A. M. Danely was here for two years, succeeding Rev. Seymour and we was well liked. He died at Champaign, Ill.
Rev. W. Murphy was here in 1881-2. He died in Champaign, Ill., July 22, 1900. He was followed by Rev. W. M. Gooding in 1883. He remained two years. He also resides at Champaign, Ill., and is in poor health.
Rev. W. S. Calhoun, who died recently at Tuscola, Ill., served this charge for three years, from 1885-7, and he was very successful. It was during his ministry that the great revival conducted by Mrs. Villars was held, during which over 300 conversions occurred.
Rev. Geo. B. Wolfe served one year in 1888 and died at Camp Point, Ill., June 2, 1902.
In 1889-90 – Chas. Baughman was here. He was a very eccentric young man and succeeded in stirring up considerable strife in the community especially in the agitation over anti-saloon affairs. One thing he accomplished for which he is entitled to much credit was the building of a fine new parsonage, the present home of the preachers, which was due largely to his efforts. He died some years ago.
Rev. C. F. Tobey came in 1891-2. He is now in Colorado for his health, which of late years has been poor.
Rev. Wm. McK. McElfresh gave us two years, in 1893-4, at the close of a busy career. He had been a power in the conference and had held many excellent appointments. Barry was about his last charge. He died at Jacksonville, Ill., Mar. 23, 1900.
Rev. W. N. Rutledge served us in 1895-6-7. He did good work. It was during the term that the “lecture room” was added to the church and other improvements made, such as adding new memorial art glass windows, etc. He is still living at Urbana, Ill.
Rev. W. F. T. Spruill was an aged minister who served the church one year, coming in 1898. This was his last charge before retiring. He died in 1903 at Evanston, Ill.
In the fall of 1899, Rev. W. M. Halley was sent here, following several aged preachers. He was young and enthusiastic and stirred up quite an interest in church affairs. Quite an addition to the membership was made during his five years of labor, and his pastorate was in every way considered favorable. He closed his work here in 1903 and went to other fields. Rev. Hailey is now pastor of the church at Camp Point, Ill.
Rev. J. E. Scheer, now pastor of a church at North Topeka, Kan. was connected with this church for three years, from 1904 to 1906. In his first report he stated that he “had preached 197 times during the year, had conducted 32 funerals, delivered 8 public addresses, married 10 couples, baptized 45 candidates, made 650 calls, besides attending to various other duties.” A fairly busy year. A tent meeting in which Rev. Culpepper aided, strengthened the church during his second year.
In 1907, Rev. C. M. Barton was sent here. He was also re-appointed for another year, but only served a few months when he resigned and went to another charge. He was a bright young man and gave promise of doing excellent work. He is now located at Chicago, Ill., where he is a financial secretary. Rev. E. L. Darley filled out the balance of the conference year 1910, but was not returned next year. He is a resident of Minnesota.
The five years from 1910 to 1915 were filled by Rev. D. V. Gowdy, under whose ministrations the church grew and prospered. He was a fine preacher and much beloved by his congregation. During his next to last year he conducted a very successful revival, during which over 100 conversions were acknowledged. He is now pastor of the church at Virginia, Ill.
Rev. A. C. Adams came in the fall of 1915 for two years, and removed to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, to accept an appointment to the church there. He had a busy season here, did some excellent service, and made many lasting friendships, taking with him the well wishes of his parishioners and a host of citizens. He is now preaching at Arcola, Ill.
In September 1917, Rev. David F. Nelson was assigned to this charge. He is a genuine Yankee, active and alert and an excellent preacher. He remained three years. He is now pastor of a large church at Delevan, Ill.
Rev. Peter Kittel came in 1920 and was with us two years. He was an affable and agreeable gentleman, a thorough student and a well meaning minister. After leaving here he preached one year when his health failed him and he is now recruiting at his farm in Arkansas.
The pastor in charge now is Rev. H. H. Waltmire who is on his second year. He is doing a great work, and has the hearty co-operation of his congregation back of him. As a preacher he ranks well with his fellow ministers. He will be remembered in Barry for two achievements – the big revival he held last winter and his success in building the new church.
Barry church, during its long existence, has experienced many seasons of adversity as well as prosperity. In its early history it had a constant struggle for its life, but the fidelity and zeal of its leading officials never failed and success finally crowned their efforts. For many years this church was a charge of the Griggsville district; after this district was annulled it was known as West Jacksonville district, and now it is Quincy district. In 1906, Barry circuit was re-established for one year, with H. C. Munch, a young preacher in charge.
There have been many ingatherings of souls witnessed during the life of the church, the most notable of which was the revival of 1886 which was conducted by Mrs. Villars, wife of a Methodist minister, who was a wonderful evangelist and appealed to the hearts of the people to such an extent that more than 300 were converted. Other successful revivals were held by J. W. Sinnock, J. B. Seymour, W. M. Hailey, D. V. Gowdy and H. H. Waltmire.
Of the local preachers that have served the church, some were men of ability, who afterward took prominent places in the religious world, while others were content to fill minor places. Probably the brightest star of the Barry firmament was Rev. T. I. Coultas, who was located here in 1875, and in later years occupied with much credit the pulpits at Princeton, N. J., and other large Eastern cities. This church also contributed to the ministry several worthy gentlemen, and a few young deaconesses. In the list of preachers were Amos Emerson, Ira Emerson, j. F. Phillips, Wm. Hoyt, Sr., John N. Dewell, James W. Dewell, Wm. Brownell, Jas. Brownell, Chas Fitch, Nathan R. Johnson, and possibly others. Miss Ruth Clegg, now the wife of Rev. John Thompson, a prominent Chicago divine, and Miss Fern Tillman entered the deaconess field, and both have proven themselves valuable members of that organization.
In olden times the quarterly meetings were always opened, according to the records, “with singing and prayer by the Elder.” The church work was largely done by “class leaders,” who were really the executive board of the church. All financial matters fell to them and each was supposed to be a shepherd to his flock, or class, as it was known. If there was any infraction of the discipline on the part of any of the different members, the party’s “leader” was apprised of it and it was his or her duty to extend Christian advice or admonition to the offender. “Class Meeting” was a regular part of the church service and consisted of a season of prayer and worship. It usually was held at the close of the morning sermon. This part of the service has passed out of use of late years.
It is also noticeable that many applications were received for licenses to preach in the early days. At nearly every conference held there were applications filed, but they were not always granted. As a rule the person’s record seems to have been closely scrutinized, and if there was anything wrong the officials did not hesitate to say so.
Camp meetings were popular and were often held in the absence of churches. These meetings often attracted large crowds and in the language of the records “much enthusiasm prevailed and many souls were saved.”
The church bell was also an important fixture, and this church boasted of a bell that was noted over a vast territory. The first bell was bought by Samuel Davis, a Barry merchant, who was in St. Louis at the time and secured it at the request of the board. It was shipped to Cincinnati Landing by boat and conveyed here by team. Unfortunately this bell soon “cracked” and was replaced by a better one, which for tone and carrying power was not supposed to be excelled in all the country around. The present bell is the third one used. In these days there is not so much use for a bell, it is only sounded for the regular church or Sunday school services, or possibly on special occasions. The practice of tolling for funerals was abandoned several years ago.
This church, during recent years, has received benefactions from Mrs. Harriett Cleveland, C. A. Hoffmeister, Mrs. M. A. Plassmeyer and Orlando Havird, all of whom were members and much interested in the work.
The presiding elder or district superintendent as they are now called, has always been an important adjunct of the Methodist system. Able men are usually chosen for the office and they are largely instrumental in selecting preachers for the charges of their districts. Following have served Barry:
1851 – W. D. R. Trotter
1852-5 – Hardin Wallace
1856-8 – R. W. Travis
1859-60 – W. H. H. Moore
1861 – B. R. Northcott
1862-4 – J. P. Dimmitt
1865-8 – E. Elliott
1869-72 – A. S. McCoy
1873-4 – J. P. Dimmitt
1875-8 - A. T. Orr
1879-82 – Preston Wood
1883 – M. A. Hewes
1887-92 – M. W. Everhart
1893-6 – Horace Reed
1897-1902 – W. F. Short
1903-6 – Robert Stevens
1907-10 – A. A. White
1911-14 – J. F. Wohlfarth
1915-17 – A. S. Flanigan
1918 – C. M. Duncan
1919-24 – E. S. Combs
The Sunday school is also a much desired branch of religious activity. Not much is said of this Barry school before 1856, but it is possible it was organized before that time. Alex Early is the first superintendent mentioned. Since then there have been many, including among others, Wm. Rositer, C. S. Allen, T. F. Jones, Wm. Jennings, D. Rippey, E. W. Blades, J. M. Doran, Harriet Cleveland, G. D. Mays, Nettie Gray, C. W. Hogg, F. M. Behymer, E. W. Seehorn, N. R. Johnson, T. c. Moore, J. A. Harbourn, Frank Stroheker, C. E. Kuechler, W. M. Hailey, Harold Fitch, Ella H. Stauffer, Wm. R. Wilson, Ralph Funk, Fred Davis.
Today there is a large and enthusiastic Sunday school of about 35 officers and teachers and about 400 members. Fred Davis is the superintendent, and Mrs. Margaret Watson has charge of the primary department.
There is also a flourishing Home Missionary society of which Mrs. Ed. P. White is president, and a strong Ladies Social Union headed by Mrs. Carrie E. Powell, and an Epworth League of which Miss Jennie Gleckler is president.
Church Officers for 1924
Pastor – H. H. Waltimire
Superintendent Adult Dept. Sunday School – Fred Davis
Superintendent Junior and Intermediate Dept. S. S. – Mrs. Carrie Powell.
Supt. Primary and Beginners’ Dept. S. S. – Mrs. W. W. Watson
President Epworth League – Jennie Gleckler
President Woman’s Home Missionary Society – Mrs. Esther White
Superintendent Home Guards – Mrs. Laura Callaway
Superintendent Light Bearers – Mrs. Mollie Hamilton
Superintendent Queen Esthers – Mrs. Bertha Beavers
– Marjorie Berry
Director Church Choir – McKendree Blair
Assistant to Pastor in Recreational Activities – George R. McKinney
Treasurer – A. J. Hamilton
Recording Secretary – Ella Stauffer
Financial Secretary – Lena Graves
Trustees – J. P. Weber, W. W. Watson, T. A. Retallic, O. Williamson, T. J. McVay,
Harlan Horn, H. Gleckler, Ralph Funk, John Likes
Stewards – N. R. Davis, Roscoe Hoyt, T. O. Moore, Chas. Kuntz, J. W. Mitchell, Dr. W. W. Kuntz, Carrie Powell, Anna Retallic, Margaret Watson, Olive Mitchell, Margaret Kaylor, Geo. S. Wheelan, Leonard Evans, Pine Johnson, Rose Weber, Lilly Campbell, Orville Moyer, Alden Richards, Elmo T. Goodale, Laura Ogden, Kate Hess.