Contributed by Delaine Donaldson
Contributed by Nancy Shaner
The first regular Baptist church at Griggsville was organized August 4, 1834, by Rev. Alvin Bailey, with seven members. Henry Carmer ws chosen Deacon and Clerk, which position he held until 1861, when he removed from the place. The first members were Amos Blood, two ladies by the name of Susan Blood, Joseph B. Cooper, Sarah Bradstreet, Henry Carmer and Mary B. Carmer. This church struggled hard in its infancy, but by the earnest labors of its faithful members has grown to a large and prosperous organization. For some time the church held regular services in a house owned by Mrs. Blood, and they had no pastor until in 1835, when Rev. Calvin Greenleaf took charge and held the position until 1838; then Thomas H. Ford to 1840; Chandler Curtis from 1840 to 1841, Ambler Edson from 1843 to 1844, B. b. Carpenter from 1845 to 1870. Since that time the following-named pastors have served; L.C. Carr, H.L. Stetson, R.F. Gray, B.W. Morgan and C.R. Lathrop, the present pastor.
In the year 1836 the congregation began the erection of a frame building, 40 x 54 feet in size, which was finished in 1840. About the year 1853, they built an addition to this structure. In 1873 the old building was torn down and a new brick edifice was erected, at a cost of about $20,000. Services are held each Sunday morning and evening by Rev. C.R. Lathrop, Pastor and Sunday school at 12 o'clock. The present number of communicants is 213. When Mr. Carmer removed in 1861, Mr. John Petrie was elected his successor as Deacon and Henry Lynde as Clerk, which positions they both hold at present. This Church has enjoyed various revival seasons and over 650 different persons have at various times been members of the Church.
Source: [History of Pike County, Illinois by Charles C. Chapman 1880]